Best DEel for 2 houses

skanegb
skanegb Posts: 14 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 21 February 2012 at 12:16AM in Broadband & internet access
OK I'm trying to work out if there's a better less expensive way to do things. I live between two houses roughly 50/50 At one I have a Virgin broadband deal tv phone and BB about £50 pm this house is in an area where I can get all competitiors services cable, copper or mobile.
The other house can only get BT so I have their phone and BB package and there is no mobile service except vodafone.

Is there a better way to do it perhaps one where \i can get a portable subscription that I take with me between the houses?

Suggestions welcome

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 February 2012 at 9:51PM
    skanegb wrote: »
    OK I'm trying to work out if there's a better less expensive way to do things. I live between two houses roughly 50/50 At one I have a Virgin broadband deal tv phone and BB about £50 pm this house is in an area where I can get all competitiors services cable, copper or mobile.
    The other house can only get BT so I have their phone and BB package and there is no mobile service except vodafone.

Is there a better way to do it perhaps one where \i can get a portable subscription that I take with me between the houses?

Suggestions welcome

Incorrect. If you are on an exchange without any LLU services on one property then you still have the choice of dozens of non-LLU providers reselling the BT Wholesale service, most of which are better and cheaper than BT.
    You can't have a 'portable' landlne subscription-you need to pay for a service on each line.
    Why not drop your landline completely on one property and use a PAYG dongle and mobile.
    Do an exchange search on www.samknows to find the LLU options on the other property-these will be the cheapest deal.
    As for VM, can you really justify subscription TV when you are only there part time? Why not drop it and use Freeview or Freesat?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • skanegb
    skanegb Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Macman

Thanks for your input but my problem is that I need to connect via an RJ45 as it's a VPN for work so essentially I need both houses to have a fixed modem capable of doing that.
    Secondly I don't actually apy for my virgin telly option that's "free" it's the landline and BB from VM that are costing nearly 50pm.

I'm getting my whole BT deal phone and BB for about 16pm plus the usual line rental which i pay upfront annually works out about 11pm so 26 all in.

The VM equivalent bill is between 45 and 50 and it's the calls and line rental that bump it up so guess the remedy is to scrap VM or renegotiate a better deal and/or get a set top box
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure