'Consultation over the Gambling Introductory Offer Loopholes board' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

UPDATE Martin has now posted his "Gambling Board Consultation Results" blog and we have closed this discussion accordingly ::

Comments

• Itchy
    Itchy Posts: 563 Forumite
    Leave our forum alone.
    Jobbingmusician / Misskool do sterling work and the info / advice is a god send.
    You run the risk of the less knowledgable GIOLers going to another forum and losing big money as the community is not as supportive there.
    I think there is a duty of care here for MSE
  • chompie
    chompie Posts: 2,409
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    looks like R-points is gonna have a resurgence...

Personally i cannot see what's changed, obviously you get those from TGT just reporting everything they don't want in a public forum, if that is part of the reason then maybe making it private to all but registered users would make a difference?
    Where the !!!! has the Shrug gone! :confused: just doesn't cut it... :huh::think::huh: and these don't come close
  • HeimRoller
    HeimRoller Posts: 2,541
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    I tend to agree with Martin's comments and observations. There are a lot of risky offers......however. I still think people will want to Matched Bet and having the forum is a great place for them to ask questions and mitigate as much risk as possible, especially from new offers and the like.
    Could the rules be changed maybe make the forum "bookie SUBs and reloads". Remove all other offers such as "what if", "refund if 0-0" etc.? Keep it to the pure and simple sign-up bonuses and relaods that are not complicated and hazy? I would hate to see this forum die as it has helpe dme make a lot of money and stopped me hitting financial hardship a couple of years ago.
  • jbet
    jbet Posts: 4,815 Forumite
    Itchy wrote: »
    Leave our forum alone.
    Jobbingmusician / Misskool do sterling work and the info / advice is a god send.
    You run the risk of the less knowledgable GIOLers going to another forum and losing big money as the community is not as supportive there.
    I think there is a duty of care here for MSE

Good post, I fully agree
    North London is Lilywhite
  • Itchy
    Itchy Posts: 563 Forumite
    Very true about TGT influence - would say this is creating a disproportionate number of reports.
    Make it private and for registered users only.
  • cdub
    cdub Posts: 53 Forumite
    Hi

Unfortunately I think its time for the forum to shut down.

I know for a fact a few people on here who lost thousands of pounds in a bookie that was being promoted on MSE ' Gambling Risk Free forum ' and defended by many senior posters whilst it turned out to be nothing more than a pyramid scheme.

People do think if it is under the brand of MSE it will be 100% safe or risk free whilst this is obviously far from the truth.

Regards

Cdub
  • I personally have made about £15,000 and my friend has most likely even more from the GIOL offers.

It is basic maths and an ability to read T&C. People will always mess things up as not everybody is capable of doing even basic maths or reading.

That doesn't mean you shoudl take down a board about old style money saving because somebody burns themselves trying to iron out some wax from a shirt?

It will go elsehwere so I am not too bothered but all I will say is there are many people will miss out on huge money if this goes. GIOL can make other parts of the site look like saving peanuts and a little pointless when you get into it.

My 2 pence worth
  • cdub wrote: »
    Hi

I know for a fact a few people on here who lost thousands of pounds in a bookie that was being promoted on MSE ' Gambling Risk Free forum ' and defended by many senior posters whilst it turned out to be nothing more than a pyramid scheme.

People do think if it is under the brand of MSE it will be 100% safe or risk free whilst this is obviously far from the truth.

Regards

Cdub

Is anything ever risk free, I seem to remember MSE recommending Icesave or whatever the 2 bit Icelandic bank was as having a very competitive rate a few years ago. No mention of it's insolvency... Better not discuss banking either.
  • cdub wrote: »
    Hi

Regards

Cdub

Unfortunately I tend to agree, the PRS debacle means that this forum should have been closed down many months ago. When people stand to lose five figure sums then this should not be on the MSE site. There are plenty of places where people can still discuss offers but not under these circumstances.
  • emcwill
    emcwill Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    No other part of MSE will ever make anyone as much money as the GIOL board. When strategies involving risk are posted they are normally locked pretty quickly. In the main those that want the board closed have their own agenda regarding keeping offers within a small community, rather than concern for others losing money.
    'In penguins and pearls we'll drink and we'll dance, 'til the end of our days, 'cause it ain't left to chance that we win...'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure