Oil boiler - how big should I go?

Hi

Using a few of the calculators suggests I need a boiler capable of approx. 65000 BTU or approx. 19Kw

My question is....does it matter if I get one with a considerably larger output capability?

I ask as I may add an extension at some point but it may be years off, plus will buy a more powerful one anyway if it is worthwhile.

I'm wondering if it's like owning a 1.6 litre car and replacing it with a 3 litre - still gets from A-B, albeit faster and smoother, but costs more to run?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A higher output just heats the property faster, it takes the same amount of heat to get from temp x to temp y, whether it's fast or slow.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ellives
    ellives Posts: 635 Forumite
    Does it take the same amount of effort....read fuel to get from x t y?
  • macman
    Yes, fuel converts to heat as a constant-assuming that the boiler has the same efficiency at both level of output.
  • ellives
    I appreciate this is like pulling teeth......so are you saying getting a more powerful boiler than is strictly necessary has no downside apart from being more expensive to buy?

Plus, has the upside of being faster?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    In these days of condensing boilers it seems that thinking has changed about over-sizing a boiler.

http://www.nef.org.uk/energysaving/boilers.htm

What size of Boiler do I need?

Old boilers may have their output measured in British Thermal Units per hour
    (Btu/h), but all current boilers are sold in the metric equivalent of kilowatts
    (kW). The calculator below will give the approximate metric value, but you
    should bear in mind that in the past central heating engineers often installed
    boilers that had a higher output than strictly necessary. Although this meant
    that there was no possibility of the boiler failing to meet the demand for heat,
    even in the most arctic of conditions, it also meant that they were mainly
    operating at a part load, and so running below their maximum efficiency. If you
    have installed additional loft or cavity wall insulation since the last boiler
    was fitted, it is highly likely that you will need a smaller boiler than
    before.

If you 'Google' 'sizing a central heating boiler' it appears most are in agreement with the above.

Don't forget that on a Combi the higher rating, say 24kW, is for the Hot Water output.
  • macman
    OP is seeking an oil boiler, not sure how efficiency varies under load compared to a gas boiler?
    As ever, this is best resolved by a proper site survey by the proposed installer.
  • ellives
    macman wrote: »
    OP is seeking an oil boiler, not sure how efficiency varies under load compared to a gas boiler?
    As ever, this is best resolved by a proper site survey by the proposed installer.

Good point....it is for an oil boiler not gas.....
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I appreciate the OP uses oil, but I would have thought the same principle applies. The aim is to get it into condensing mode as much as possible.

Or put it this way, I have seen nothing to suggest that it is wrong to oversize gas, but doesn't matter with oil!
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The car analogy isn't so good in this case, cars with bigger engines also tend to be much heavier (hence needing a bigger engine to perform as expected) so they have to burn more fuel to move more mass everywhere they go. A lot of the difference you see in car fuel costs is down to the weight of the car, not the engine size, with the catch that bigger engines sizes pretty much always mean heavier cars. It's one of those true, but perhaps not for the reasons you might think situations. Anyway, boilers are radically different to car engines, aside from both consuming fuel the similarities are limited.

Gas boilers can sometimes have a device fitted to limit the gas supply so output matches the house better (can be removed later if needed) - is this also possible with an oil boiler?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure