Recruitment Agencies Are Useless!!

Options

Comments

• freshminds
    Options
    You cannot say that all the recruitment agencies are useless or not trustworthy. Yes, few of them may be. But I have had a great experience in this concern. I have applied for an executive position in a firm. And as a fresher, I got that job with the help of Freshminds. I would highly recommend you to contact this recruitment agency as they offer amazing recruitment services.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    freshminds wrote: »
    You cannot say that all the recruitment agencies are useless or not trustworthy. Yes, few of them may be. But I have had a great experience in this concern. I have applied for an executive position in a firm. And as a fresher, I got that job with the help of Freshminds. I would highly recommend you to contact this recruitment agency as they offer amazing recruitment services.

Sure you did. Congrats freshminds, on working with Freshminds!

I know all the major firms are offering executive positions to 18 year olds with a few years retail experience.
  • lufcgirl
    lufcgirl Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    I have at present, six different adverts out for a variety of job roles. I get an application to every role, every day, from the same man. Which now I've ended up blocking him from applying as his skills have nowhere near matched what is required for the job roles.

Finding the right candidates is extremely frustrating, for example. I have a role where the first stage is a practical test. You pass that and the company then do the formal interview. So I could look at CV's and think this candidate has great experience, but they interview terrible so I can't even put them forward for the job as there is literally no point.

Oh and to clarify, I send a rejection email to every unsuccessful candidate and also give feedback where possible. And! I even call people back and never post a fake advert. There are many bad examples of recruiters in this country, but there are many amazing ones too.
  • goatfertility
    goatfertility Posts: 42 Forumite
    edited 3 June 2017 at 12:36PM
    Options
    lufcgirl wrote: »
    I have at present, six different adverts out for a variety of job roles. I get an application to every role, every day, from the same man. Which now I've ended up blocking him from applying as his skills have nowhere near matched what is required for the job roles.

Oh !!!!!!. Give him a blinking chance then. Just because you think he doesn't have the skills, why don't you actually speak with him and find out. Have you even bothered to consider that he might just not be a wizz at writing a CV. Not everyone is. If you think the 'ideal' candidate is just going to arrive at your door on a silver platter every time then dream on.
  • jbond
    jbond Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Out of interest, do YOU always write accurate job descriptions?
    Not implying you don't, but candidates can only go by what's written in the job spec.
    However, at the same time, in some ways, I don't blame the chap for doing that, as it's called a scattergun approach, which is EXACTLY the same approach that a lot of agencies use when firing off CVs to companies, in the hope that one of them gets a result.
    Another thing to consider is that a lot of people do that, often because of pressure from the job centre. If they don't, they risk being sanctioned.
    So I could look at CV's and think this candidate has great experience, but they interview terrible so I can't even put them forward for the job as there is literally no point.

Have you ever stopped to consider WHY they might 'interview terrible'? If they have great experience, they've obviously been successful in interviews so far. So why the problem now?
    I'm not saying that the particular candidate you mention DOESN'T indeed 'interview terrible', but what YOU think of a candidate, an actual employer might think different, but of course, you're main concern is being able to make money out of this person, in the fastest possible time, so you have different priorities, of course.

I'm afraid most agencies are far more concerned about making as much money out of people as possible, rather than actually offering advice and support.
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    Options
    mrpbrown22 wrote: »
    First of all well done getting a job.
    These Recruitment Agencies give us a bad name, there are good ones out there that tries to help.

They are only after your CV to gain on their database, and as a Recruiter this is very disappointing.

Your CV should be catered around the job. Employers and Recruiters only spend up to 10 seconds viewing your CV, and they use ATS (Keyword Search SEO) to find matching CV'S for their postion.

How can you do that effectively if you don;t know what the job is? Adverts are often so vague spouting mumbo-jumbo that means nothing at the end of the day.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mattcanary wrote: »
    How can you do that effectively if you don;t know what the job is? Adverts are often so vague spouting mumbo-jumbo that means nothing at the end of the day.

They usually have a series of "must haves". If i think i've the relevant experience i make sure those must haves are prominent on my CV.
  • lufcgirl
    Options
    Oh !!!!!!. Give him a blinking chance then. Just because you think he doesn't have the skills, why don't you actually speak with him and find out. Have you even bothered to consider that he might just not be a wizz at writing a CV. Not everyone is. If you think the 'ideal' candidate is just going to arrive at your door on a silver platter every time then dream on.

I have considered this, and I have in fact spent more than six seconds reading his CV. But when the job description explicitly states the person needs to have a good history of working in a particular enviornment and he hasn't performed this role since 1987 when he last worked, then no, he isn't suitable.

Instead I e-mailed him and politely asked he doesn't apply to the same role each day as I have his details. To be replied to with text speak, no capital letters and no forward thinking.

And finally, if you think I am stupid enough to believe that a perfect candidate will just turn up, you'll be mistaken. I spend many a day interviewing candidate after candidate in job centres, giving them a chance so demonstrate their skills, to help them with writing a coherent CV that will help them...we don't all chuck some mud at the wall and hope it sticks. Some recruiters are actually very good at the job and care about their candidates. Every candidate I have out to work, I have found, I have registered, I have interviewed and done site inductions and any query they have goes through me which is resolved promptly and on time.
  • lufcgirl
    Options
    Out of interest, do YOU always write accurate job descriptions?
    Not implying you don't, but candidates can only go by what's written in the job spec.
    However, at the same time, in some ways, I don't blame the chap for doing that, as it's called a scattergun approach, which is EXACTLY the same approach that a lot of agencies use when firing off CVs to companies, in the hope that one of them gets a result.
    Another thing to consider is that a lot of people do that, often because of pressure from the job centre. If they don't, they risk being sanctioned.

Yes, and I also don't copy and paste a person specification from a company. Writing a job advert is a skill in itself, it's not all about the company, it's helping a candidate to make the decision to work for YOU. If all you're going to do is write 'this company needs x and y and you must have it or you won't have a job'. It doesn't work like that. You need to sell a role to a candidate. I don't and never have 'scattergunned'. I have a good local knowledge and a good understanding of the industry I work within, I don't go and recruit for jobs outside of that as then I'm just like the national agencies who have a one size fits all approach to recruitment.

Have you ever stopped to consider WHY they might 'interview terrible'? If they have great experience, they've obviously been successful in interviews so far. So why the problem now?
    I'm not saying that the particular candidate you mention DOESN'T indeed 'interview terrible', but what YOU think of a candidate, an actual employer might think different, but of course, you're main concern is being able to make money out of this person, in the fastest possible time, so you have different priorities, of course.

I'm afraid most agencies are far more concerned about making as much money out of people as possible, rather than actually offering advice and support.

One example I have is a candidate at 37 had had ONE formal interview in his time working for a promotion at a job and he didn't get it because he came across as too quiet. We can sit there all day prepping people for interviews but sometimes they just come across wrong. My major problem - especially with temporary blue collar workers, is lies on their CV about employment dates. They don't remember them and make them up, or just fabricate them in order to look like there's no gaps. So when they are interviewed they clam up and look terrible. Interviewing skills is something the job centre should be doing an awful lot more of. My main concern isn't about money, it's about providing the best possible service, if I was bothered about money I'd be at one with hundreds of clients who put bodies in who leave after a week. Instead we offer a more consultative approach to both the client and candidate. Which is better, it gains more respect. It's all about knowing your client and candidate, your job is to be the middle man, if you don't you'll just mess up an awful lot and have a very high turnover
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2017 at 7:02AM
    Options
    I have considered this, and I have in fact spent more than six seconds reading his CV. But when the job description explicitly states the person needs to have a good history of working in a particular enviornment and he hasn't performed this role since 1987 when he last worked, then no, he isn't suitable.

Instead I e-mailed him and politely asked he doesn't apply to the same role each day as I have his details. To be replied to with text speak, no capital letters and no forward thinking.

And finally, if you think I am stupid enough to believe that a perfect candidate will just turn up, you'll be mistaken. I spend many a day interviewing candidate after candidate in job centres, giving them a chance so demonstrate their skills, to help them with writing a coherent CV that will help them...we don't all chuck some mud at the wall and hope it sticks. Some recruiters are actually very good at the job and care about their candidates. Every candidate I have out to work, I have found, I have registered, I have interviewed and done site inductions and any query they have goes through me which is resolved promptly and on time.

That's not being polite.
    Be straight - tell him he;s not suitable for the role. It is far kinder and fairer to be straight and honest (in a tactful manner), perhaps also suggesting what they can do to help find work moving forward, rather than to just fob people off and give them false hopes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure