Recruitment Agencies Are Useless!!

Options
In my experience they are all terrible.

I have applied for many jobs advertised through recruitment agencies and every time have been ignored, brushed aside or found out the job doesn't exist after weeks of trying to get hold of them. Not once have I even been offered an interview.

I have also applied for 2 jobs which the actual companies have advertised directly. I have sent the same CV to them for the same positions as the agencies, each time have been invited to attend an interview and been offered the job! (one of which I have accepted)

Obviously the recruitment agencies are either lazy or stupid, if not both. I am obviously well qualified for the position and interview well, they may find this out if they made some effort to talk to me. As it is they can't even manage an email to tell you what the hell is going on or that they have even received you CV (maybe they think I am psychic)! If I ran a company it would annoy me that they treat potentially great staff members in this way and that my company was missing out on employing them..............

Anyone else feel the same?

Comments

• brightonman123
    Options
    For starters, well done on the job! (I have just started a new one myself, after waaaay too long on JSA..)

I guess the agencies have so many people after a job, they would only contact candidates who tick ALL the boxes in a job spec..

To people still looking- DON'T EVER GIVE UP!

its worth tweaking your cv on the various listing sites,to 'refresh' your details to the top of any search.. (Reed, monster, totaljobs, jobsite, cv-library etc).

also-
    add any 'job wanted' ads you have put online to the Google submission page - https://www.google.com/addurl

and pimp yerself (job wise only!) on twitter, facebook, linkedin..
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • YellowA4
    Options
    Its good advice but it is the fault of the agencies. The company I have accepted the job with said they received over 200 applications and they chose to interview me and one other. If they thought my CV ticked all the boxes why can't the agencies see it!
  • Ronaldo_Mconaldo
    Options
    People really need to realise what they are getting into when it comes to recruitment agencies. When you were at uni, remember those people who coasted into a 2:1 or 2:2 and couldn't get a job with their chosen field or any other decent professional job, well the ones that took the first thing that they could find, that's who you have working in recruitment agencies. Here's a trick for you. Google the name of the recruitment person followed by their recruitment company name. Guarantee that they'll have a public Facebook page along with LinkedIn details for all to see. You'll quickly realise that you've been dealing with some wannabe student who never grew up and couldn't get a real job.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Recruitment agencies aren't there to get you a job. They are a business who make money by placing somebody in work, soonest. They will often have an agreement with an employer to send a short-list of about 3 people for interview. Therefore, once they've found the best 3 that they can contact/are good enough for interview, that's the end of working on that role as they're then on the phones to try to drum up more business.

Once they've got their "3 people who we could get in contact with first and who sounded on the phone like they could do the job to an employable standard" they've moved on.
  • falko89
    falko89 Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    I signed up with the 2 local agencies back in January when I was made unemployed, to date they have done exactly nothing for me, not even 1 days temporary employment, When I phone them "We have nothing at the moment" yet you see them listing jobs, when you enquire about the jobs "Oh thats gone" it never bloody existed to begin with, I'd love to know how they make money at this rate.
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2012 at 1:10PM
    Options
    typical 15-20% comish, on perm jobs, and screwing temps with low rates of pay, yet charging the firms they're placed at much higher-

I saw my OWN temp fee invoice once, which had a £4 an hour markup (plus vat) = £160 a WEEK, to the agency.. i had very good rate of pay for the job, so wasnt that bothered..

easy money.. for a making a few phones calls?!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • CCFC_80
    CCFC_80 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2012 at 2:49PM
    Options
    YellowA4 wrote: »
    In my experience they are all terrible.

Obviously the recruitment agencies are either lazy or stupid, if not both. I am obviously well qualified for the position and interview well, they may find this out if they made some effort to talk to me. As it is they can't even manage an email to tell you what the hell is going on or that they have even received you CV (maybe they think I am psychic)! If I ran a company it would annoy me that they treat potentially great staff members in this way and that my company was missing out on employing them..............

Anyone else feel the same?

Yes, from experience recruitment agencies don't do Customer service especially to the candidates who make them the money.That is why now If I ever hear of an opening or vacancy I won't tell an agency about it.
    People really need to realise what they are getting into when it comes to recruitment agencies. When you were at uni, remember those people who coasted into a 2:1 or 2:2 and couldn't get a job with their chosen field or any other decent professional job, well the ones that took the first thing that they could find, that's who you have working in recruitment agencies. Here's a trick for you. Google the name of the recruitment person followed by their recruitment company name. Guarantee that they'll have a public Facebook page along with LinkedIn details for all to see. You'll quickly realise that you've been dealing with some wannabe student who never grew up and couldn't get a real job.

Some of them are just in it as a stop gap Most of them wouldn't know their a** from their elbow and wouldn't recognise a good candidate if they came out and bit them on the back of the bum.

Like a previous poster has said, I have had recruitment consultants refuse to send my CV to an employer but when I have eventually found out who the employer is have submitted it myself and got an interview and yes also the job
    falko89 wrote: »
    I signed up with the 2 local agencies back in January when I was made unemployed, to date they have done exactly nothing for me, not even 1 days temporary employment, When I phone them "We have nothing at the moment" yet you see them listing jobs, when you enquire about the jobs "Oh thats gone" it never bloody existed to begin with, I'd love to know how they make money at this rate.

Unfortunately nearly all of the leading Agencies do this. They get away with it as they don't admit to advertising it as a live vacancy. A great ploy on their part to get more cv's in and new leads for their marketing purposes.
  • tiredofscammers
    Options
    Lots of comments about recruitment agencies. And agree with most on here. Its all about meeting targets to keep their jobs. They will send CVs or register candidates just so they can tell their manager they have hit their target for that month. When you regsiter, they want all the information of where you've applied, and who you dealt with, so they can basically poach that company for themselves. If they think you are not sure about a role, they will not put you forward, they want a guaranteed margin you see by placing someone who they know will take the job and can do the job.
    Just so you are aware, there are some companies who will find your details on a jobsite and send it to their client without your permission, this is a breach of Data Protection laws and they should not be doing this.

If they think you are unreliable, i.e. if you have previously had interviews, been offered a job and decided not to take it (which you are well within your rights to decline), they record this on their system and dont ever call you again. Some of the big recruiters do this, even recruiters like Hays.

If you are really dissatisfied with a recruitment agency follow their complaints procedure (not that the branch managers are bothered really) because they dont want their divisional managers to find out! If unhappy with their response complain to the The Recruitment & Employment Confederation, any agency registered should follow a code of practice, available on the site,The REC also accepts complaints in regards to individual Members of the Institute of Recruitment Professionals (IRP) e.g. recruitment consultants.

Also, useful but very lenghty legislation:
    The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003 on legislation.gov. uk

If enough people complain about poor service from recruitment agencies and consultants, the industry will have to change and start doing much much better!

Good luck !
  • tiredofscammers
    Options
    Another dodgy recruitment agency to watch out for, again website appears to lack any kind of real information and poorly written. No mention of company no. anywhere on the site (am sure Ltd co's are supposed to post this on their site and letters?!)

They don't have a clue about Agency Workers Rights (AWR) or how to pay their candidates once placed. They don't have a payment facilty, but don't tell you this until you're in a position where you have been offered a role and are more than likely to accept. Appear very unprofessional, pushy, and then start using bullying/threatening tactics, unaware that in a court of law they don't have a legal leg to stand on! They operate in an unethical manner telling you pay rates they have put other candidates forward for. Stay well away!
  • tiredofscammers
    Options
    ... that once day perhaps the candidates that they have messed around and given poor customer service to, may one day be in a position where they are looking for staff, and they will be going to ones that have given the best service. They also forget that candidates tell their colleagues and bosses which agencies and consultants are the better ones and which ones to stay away from. I have worked for a number of employers where I have had this exact disscussion with senior managers, who are in a position to recruit, so it works both ways. Don't forget to mention to your bosses, Directors, Heads of Dept which ones are the lousy consultants, becuase they do listen!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure