MSE Blog: How flying premium economy can be cheaper than economy

Former_MSE_Guy
Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 17 February 2012 at 4:57PM in Flights, currency & car hire
Hi all, this is a thread to discuss the MSE blog:

"Who’d have thought it would be cheaper to fly premium economy than economy? Well, I got that pleasant surprise this month when..."

Comments

• Yes - this has happened to me a number of times. On airlines that don't have premium economy (which to be fair is most of them) business class is sometimes cheaper than a more flexible economy fare. Some airlines automatically show the cheapest fare in any class, others show you only what you have asked for (normally economy class). So as you say - it's worth checking. I also see it frequently on trains, whereby a firstclass ticket is cheaper than a standard class one - especially at the weekends
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 February 2012 at 8:04PM
    I suspect this is flying from LHR-Moscow, which BA has only recently decided to operate with three/four travel class long haul aircraft, instead of two class short haul aircraft.
    Most may not know that Premium Economy is available on this route, which is why it may be unsold, once the regular travellers know about this change and premium economy gets initial bookings, this tip may not happen, so enjoy it whilst it lasts.
    But as always shop around and check different travel classes if you see high economy prices.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,520 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would say that most of the time the next class up on a restricted fare is cheaper than a flexible ticket of the class before. With American Airlines quite often you will see a flexible economy ticket cost 3 times more than an "instant upgrade" to First
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I believe it's the same on all airlines, however holding flexible tickets can be useful if your travel plans change.
    World Traveller Plus instead of World Traveller (whatever happened to economy, premium economy.........

Given that BA were one of the first airlines to offer a premium economy cabin your comment makes little sense. BA did it first, but obviously other carriers aren't going to call theirs "world traveller plus"
    Legal team on standby
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I noticed this with BA last year, but didn't book with them as Emirates had a better Economy fare.

After flying with Emirates I wished I'd gone with BA. Emirates' cabin service was simply awful (explains why they don't have customer service contact details on their website) and gave new context to their slogan, "Why doesn't everyone fly this way?"
  • Not cheaper, but we managed to get BA World Traveller Plus seats for only £10 extra from LAX to LHR. Well worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure