Virgin/Ntl media .v. Sky

Options
We are currently on the 3 for £30 package with NTL , phone/telly/ broadband computer.
I would like to run a second computer in the playrrom AND I would also like to have something like Sky+ where I can record whole series for watching later.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which company is going to provide the above services with the least hassle and more importantly the best price.

I am not technically minded ,so having someone to come in and sort the 2nd computer may well have to be an option although I would prefer to avoid that , if the cost was excessive.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• jswaminathanuk
    Options
    not sure abt sky + kinda feature but for internet conn to another pc just buy a linksys or similar router with card(if ur pc dont have wireless card) for cable modem and run
    if u fancy diy kind of stuff (and ur own house) then buy a long ethernet cable and connect it from cable instead of wireless.
    I know i didnt made myself much clear but if you dont get a better response from our fellow expert mses then mail me i will explain u in detail wont mind even explaining over phone.
    Cheers Swami
  • karmapolice_2
    Options
    Virgin Media do a Sky+ style box, imaginatively called the V+ box. It's actually better than a standard Sky+ box as it has a 160GB hard drive and you can record 2 channels while watching another, and there's no upfront fee(if you get it in the way listed below).

On your package, it costs £20 a month, including the £5/month it costs to put your old set-top box in another part of your house (if you don't do this they charge you £75 for installation)
    http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/dtv/vplus/index.html

As to putting your internet in a different part of your house, you can do it the way the person above suggested if you don't mind laying loads of cable through your house! Getting wireless on cable is generally easier as all you have to do is install the software and hook the router up to your cable modem, and cheaper as you don't have to buy a router that has a modem in it. PC World will sell you a wireless router and a USB wireless stick for the computer you want to connect for £44.99 here but do shop around, just remember that you want a cable router not an ADSL router.

Hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport