New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Barclays app allows mobile-to-mobile cash transfers

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
36 replies 5.4K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The banking giant has launched a new app enabling people to send money using their smartphone ..."

Replies

• 20meg! Can't install on none rooted Desire as Desire hasn't got enough memory, can't install on rooted Desire as app says this is a security risk! Poor job Barclays.
  • Im sure it will be just as secure as their Contactless card!
  • Works fine on Desire S, which is almost a year old. I expect most recent phones won't have a problem with it.
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad (and fairly surprised) to hear it's free.
    But it's not _really_ doing anything that you couldn't do if you could access internet banking from your phone.

What I think would be better, however, is a way to send money to someone when they are out. For example, my wife went to Asda the other day and then realised she'd forgotten her wallet. Would have been good if I could have somehow transfered money to her. Maybe such a system could send a barcode or something to her phone.
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K posts
    I tried out this app this morning. My mother and I tried to send each other a test payment of £1 and we both got error P2001. Also someone on the Mobile Phones Board has pointed out a privacy issue with the service. Nevertheless it's a good idea and it's nice to see Barclays at the forefront of e-commerce technology again, despite being one of the last major UK banks who have still not released an online banking iPhone app (which Pingit is not).

I get fed up with backward people asking for archaic cheques because they have a phobia of giving their sort code and account number; now I'll just send a Pingit payment to their mobile number instead, which doesn't require them to have the app, to bank with Barclays or to preregister.
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K posts
    They are hardly likely to sign up for it purely because some "pending payment" SMS arrives on their mobile, or do you think all their cautiousness will then miraculously fly out the window?
    Yes, in many cases. In my experience, these people have a specific phobia about divulging their sort code and account number, but they don't mind giving out their mobile number. Many will prefer therefore to receive an instant payment through their mobile number into their bank account than have the onerous task of taking a cheque to the bank.
  • danothydanothy Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    NFH wrote: »
    Yes, in many cases. In my experience, these people have a specific phobia about divulging their sort code and account number, but they don't mind giving out their mobile number. Many will prefer therefore to receive an instant payment through their mobile number into their bank account than have the onerous task of taking a cheque to the bank.

I think these same people will still have to divulge their sort code an account number to the service in order to have it linked to their mobile number. It means they don't have to give it to you, but not that they don't have to give it.
    If you think of it as 'us' verses 'them', then it's probably your side that are the villains.
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K posts
    I've managed to send and receive a test payment. Disappointingly, the optional 30-character message appears only in the text message received by the payee. It does not appear in the text message received by the payer, in payer's app, in the payee's app, on the payer's bank statement or on the payee's bank statement. They should have used an 18-character message so that it could be populated into the beneficiary reference field on the FPS payment. Also, on bank statements the payer and payee don't see each other's names, only the other party's mobile number in 44 international format; I think the name would be much more useful, just as on a traditional FPS/BACS/CHAPS payment.
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K posts
    danothy wrote: »
    I think these same people will still have to divulge their sort code an account number to the service in order to have it linked to their mobile number. It means they don't have to give it to you, but not that they don't have to give it.
    True, but they'll mind a lot less about giving this data to a bank, even if it's not their own bank.
  • edited 16 February 2012 at 4:12PM
    cpjacksocpjackso Forumite
    246 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 16 February 2012 at 4:12PM
    Doesn't seem to work on my iphone 4s? (Ios 5.01 - jailbroken).

I received the 1p deposit in my current account to verify my receiving account - but it had no reference code (shows as "NO REF" on my natwest account) - so I can't fully verify my account?!

Looks promising - just wish they had tested it a bit more before releasing it :(.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support