MSE News: 'I'm on benefits but I'm no scrounger'

Options

Comments

• rellarips
    Options
    Thankyou very much. It is certainly not an employees market, that much is certain. Drive around Southampton, and see the amount of manufacturers who have all disappeared abroad. Even the HGV market is apparently flooded. You would think with the docks down here that it would be easy for an HGV driver to get permanent employment. Apparently not at the moment. Difficult for some to budget when with an agency especially when the job market is fluctuating as it is.

That was my point as well Russ. Those of us who've worked hard during our lives tend to have done a few different jobs. That experience is not helping now, even though it would have done ten years ago. They want cheap labour that will stay the mile or be easy to 'lay off' once they've outdone their use. And there's not even much of the 'cheap labour' work around.

One local post involved just a few hours domestic cleaning per week at minimum wage; within three days the company were overwhelmed to have recieved 77 applicants.

The Job Centre have been recruiting nationally; their positions were advertised last month through a civil service website. I have to laugh that the government have admitted that they're short staffed to deal with the unemployed... but I laughed even more when I learned that many of the vacancies have been recieving over 4,000 applicants each. If that doesn't tell the government we're at crisis point with the jobs market, then nothing will!!!

Again, thank you for your article Russ. It has been amusing to read just how ignorant some people are to the current employment crisis, and how narrow minded a few people become through their own ignorance. We have a fair few Ostriches here in the UK it seems; they might just surface when they themselves find they cannot support their family... then it will be a different tale they speak ;)
  • iamthedoctor77
    Options
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    I honestly can't see the objection some employers have. I know it exists, I just don't understand it. It's driving a bus for flips sake, it's not exactly brain surgery (no offence ;)). What are they scared of?

being sued. Which I understand with the claim for anything culture that is around these days. But i failed the medical with my wrist. Plus some of them, like the Merc citaro, I cant get to the park brake as the tumour is so large.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    rellarips wrote: »
    That was my point as well Russ. Those of us who've worked hard during our lives tend to have done a few different jobs. That experience is not helping now, even though it would have done ten years ago. They want cheap labour that will stay the mile or be easy to 'lay off' once they've outdone their use. And there's not even much of the 'cheap labour' work around.

One local post involved just a few hours domestic cleaning per week at minimum wage; within three days the company were overwhelmed to have recieved 77 applicants.

The Job Centre have been recruiting nationally; their positions were advertised last month through a civil service website. I have to laugh that the government have admitted that they're short staffed to deal with the unemployed... but I laughed even more when I learned that many of the vacancies have been recieving over 4,000 applicants each. If that doesn't tell the government we're at crisis point with the jobs market, then nothing will!!!

Again, thank you for your article Russ. It has been amusing to read just how ignorant some people are to the current employment crisis, and how narrow minded a few people become through their own ignorance. We have a fair few Ostriches here in the UK it seems; they might just surface when they themselves find they cannot support their family... then it will be a different tale they speak ;)

Oh, they are fully aware of what the situation is, after all, it is they who have created it.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • iamthedoctor77
    Options
    also, I am fairly certain that MSE is the only place with the stones to put an article like mine out. Press and media wouldn't be interested in what I have to say tbh. I'm just lucky that Martin gave me the chance to be heard.
  • Flyboy152
    Options
    being sued. Which I understand with the claim for anything culture that is around these days. But i failed the medical with my wrist. Plus some of them, like the Merc citaro, I cant get to the park brake as the tumour is so large.

But the reasonable adjustment rules should be made to accommodate alterations to your vehicle. But I suppose they have people contract, specifically to advise them how to work around these pesky rules. Hopefully, after the operation, things will be easier.

Are you a fan of the old or new Doctor Who, or both?
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • iamthedoctor77
    Options
    But the reasonable adjustment rules should be made to accommodate alterations to your vehicle. But I suppose they have people contract, specifically to advise them how to work around these pesky rules. Hopefully, after the operation, things will be easier.

I love both, i'm a proper Whovian. My son got taken to the Doctor Who Experience at olympia 2. Granddad took him as we couldn't do it. Even Martin Lewis has been to that haha, tis part of the sucky nature of living like this. I don't get to enjoy my hobbies any more. I used to love photography but dont have a camera, let alone my dream Cannon Digital slr, target pistol and rifle shooting, snooker, now even using an xbox controller is painful and awkward. So all that is left is Doctor Who.
  • iamthedoctor77
    Options

the nature of bus driving means you'll be in and out of different buses all day. no one really has their own vehicle like you would assume with HGV for example. So from that perspective, there is not a lot they can do.
  • Flyboy152
    Options
    I love both, i'm a proper Whovian. My son got taken to the Doctor Who Experience at olympia 2. Granddad took him as we couldn't do it. Even Martin Lewis has been to that haha, tis part of the sucky nature of living like this. I don't get to enjoy my hobbies any more. I used to love photography but dont have a camera, let alone my dream Cannon Digital slr, target pistol and rifle shooting, snooker, now even using an xbox controller is painful and awkward. So all that is left is Doctor Who.

How is it using Kinect?

The Canon 500D SLR is Flyboy12's current goal. He has a long way to go before he saves enough for it, but, by next Christmas he might just be able to afford it. :)

We are a Whovian house too. We went to the Doctor Who experienced a few years ago and we loved it. My favourite was always Jon Pertwee, and my earliest scariest memories are Patrick Troughton sitting on the edge of a London Underground platform, playing his penny whistle (yes I know, keep you dirty minds to yourselves MSE :D) and being approached from behind by a Yettie. :eek: :eek:
  • iamthedoctor77
    Options

i know size isnt everything, but you should see my 18" supreme dalek!
  • Flyboy152
    Options
    i know size isnt everything, but you should see my 18" supreme dalek!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure