Santander Complaints

Options
Has anyone had even a modicum of satisfaction when complaining to Santander? If so can they please advise how it was done. After an hour on the phone this morning, trying to discover why the branch at Weston Super Mare had not opened the fixed rate bond we applied for over 3 weeks ago, I lost my cool and withdrew every penny invested with them (approx £100k). Having done this I don't expect anything much in the way of a response, but I really need someone to know who and what they are employing.

Comments

• Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I run out of breath in the first inch of jay_1990's post so I don't know what that post is about.

bjorn_again: it sounds like it is too late now since you have already withdrawn your money, but in your shoes, I would have raised a written complaint, or tried to apply by calling 0800 092 2212, the number listed on their website for the 3 Year Fixed Rate Bond.

I have 3 current accounts, 4 savings accounts and 1 credit card with Santander. Never experienced any issue with account applications.

Shame we can't ask Santander here on the forum what the problem with you application was.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just hope for the OP's sake that the £100k withdrawn wasn't in ISAs.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Hominu
    Hominu Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Options
    "Right, thats it, I'm withdrawing all my money from you (approx 100K) and placing it in a lower interest account with another bank"

and I'm assuming the response will be along the lines of "Very well sir, have a nice day."

Now, if they had instead raised a complaint, they may have got compensation.

Why do people do this? Do they think it hurts the bank? I'd imagine that to a bank 100K is pocket change, and if they wanted it for lending, they can get it far cheaper.
  • Onawingandaprayer
    Options
    Opened a Santander 123 account in Feb this year and am delighted with it. Staff in local branch very good, very friendly and administration of account (so far) running perfectly. The few times I've had to contact them - via phone and/or secure message - they've responded quickly and efficiently. And with 3% interest and cashback deals, I must admit I can't fault them.

Do i miss Natwest after 45 years? Erm...let me think...
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has anyone had even a modicum of satisfaction when complaining to Santander? .

In a word NO !

Santander and I exchanged letters weekly for 3 months regarding fraudulent withdrawals from an account and the way in which they mis-managed the situation, allowing more and more money to be taken. We never had an apology nor compensation and as soon as the money was back on the account we moved all accounts to Nat West - still happy with them 5 years on.

I wouldn't touch them with the proverbial barge pole now, not even wearing industrial strength rubber gloves.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone had even a modicum of satisfaction when complaining to Santander?

Well I've only had one opportunity to complain to Santander, but when I did, they resolved it quickly and simply.

There's never a need to spend an hour on the phone: if the first person you speak to can't resolve it within a few minutes, then you either speak to their manager or speak to Complaints.

You'll find that every company has some people who are just incompetent - this is why if the first person can't help, it's worth trying someone else.

On the whole, Santander are pretty good.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rb10 wrote: »
    You'll find that every company has some people who are just incompetent.

Since incompetence, and ignorance, is a human trait, statistically, the more people involved, the more of them will be incompetent and ignorant. Every bank has got more customers than employees.....
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find Santander a great bankforcomplaints.

Make them official (either in writing or via the 'complaints' option online) and they investigate.

In every case ( 6 so far) I have been given an apology and minimum £30 compensation.

In one case they promised me £75, but 2 monthslater I realised they had not given it to me,so I raised a complaint.

After invesigating, they apologised, gave me the £75, and then gave me £50 compensation!

I'm looking forward eagerly to their next c*ck-up!
  • grizzly1911
    Options
    Have and have had several savings, ISAs and 123 accounts with Santander and Cahoot. I have had a couple of minor niggles which have always been resolved quickly and efficiently. Any questions I have raised have been answered swiftly.

Luck of the draw with most organisations these days.

I have even had bad service with John Lewis, resolved in the end.
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • Farel01
    Farel01 Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have a 123 account with them and am totally happy with that. I am just annoyed at them about my mortgage:

In branch: How do I make over payments?
    - Ow mam really easy just set up a standing order, phone for the account number.

On phone: Ow mam yes no problem just set up a standing order and call us EVERY time you make a payment so we know it's to reduce the term. :mad:

After making overpayment and calling:
    Letter: Please make out a cheque next time, we have now assumed you want to reduce your monthly payment... :wall:
    Debt free as per 22/12/16 - :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport