New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Charity to gain after MSE defeats PPI firm

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
18 replies 1.8K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Citizens Advice will benefit after a claims company which cold-called people, using a similar name to us, paid damages ..."

Replies

• Fantastic! Great that one less vulture can hijack Martin's reputation in order to target the vulnerable.

And even better that MSE has kindly donated the money to such a fantastic charity - one that is financially precarious itself at a time when it is needed more than ever.

:T Good for you Martin
  • Fantastic news - it is about time these companies were held to account. Up until now, any company can pretend to be anyone as far as I can see. Let's hope this has an impact. Good news as well about the donation to Citizen's Advice.
  • ButtiButti Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Martin, what a lovely person you are.

Butti the volunteer
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (9/19 )£3221
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    [STRIKE]35%[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]35.4%[/STRIKE] 40.1% off mortgage
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • edited 13 February 2012 at 4:01PM
    thundachildthundachild Forumite
    7 posts
    edited 13 February 2012 at 4:01PM
    Great result. Another group that I think are using Martin's rep are moneyexpert dot com who send out lots of spam emails for their financial comparison website (Presumably sponsored - I don't know for sure).

They aren't as easily mistaken for moneysavingexpert, but you if didn't read the source carefully you might think they are the same them.

I ended up on their mailing list after using one of the comparison sites (maybe even theirs, though I don't thinks so).
  • SnowManSnowMan Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent outcome.

Speaking as a CAB volunteer adviser, have to say thank you to Martin for his continued support of the CAB.

I know our bureau and the neighbouring bureau are in a desperate financial position at the moment (as are many CABs across the country) so support both financial and publicity related are invaluable.

It would be terrible if those in greatest need within our community were not able to access free, impartial and confidential advice to enable them to know of their rights and responsibilities, because the bureau had to close.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great result. Another group that I think are using Martin's rep are moneyexpert dot com who send out lots of spam emails for their financial comparison website (Presumably sponsored - I don't know for sure).

They aren't as easily mistaken for moneysavingexpert, but you if didn't read the source carefully you might think they are the same them.

I ended up on their mailing list after using one of the comparison sites (maybe even theirs, though I don't thinks so).

Their site claims they've been around for 20 years, and MSE is approximately 9 years old I believe. Maybe they've recently changed their name, but either way, they really don't look like they are trying to rip off MSE. Their site looks completely different for a start. Plus "Money Expert" is a pretty generic name.
  • dilusdilus Forumite
    1K posts
    WTG MSE and Martin :T Great that you have donated the surplus to CAB :) :money::money::money:
    Successes
    Sainsbury's/BOS £6,400 Paid :)
    MBNA £3,600 Paid :)
  • thank you Martin!!!!!!

CAB debt adviser x
    I am a full time Benefit and Money Adviser for a leading non profit charity and I LOVE my job <3
    Comments posted on this forum do not reflect the views of my employer :)

Please note forum police I suffer from dyslexia so my spelling and grammar can be dreadful- sorry but I cant help it!
  • scooby75scooby75 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    800 posts
    Well done on winning the case and for giving money to the CAB - very worthy cause.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    15.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you.