Artificial Grass

Hello,

I have a toddler and a dog and would love to get some fake grass in a small area of my garden (there is patchy grass there now) approx 11x17ft.

I have spoken to many people when trying to get quotes and have been told alot that it is simple to do yourself (athough the prep is hard work) From the quotes I have been given I can saves up to £1000 by fitting it myself!
My question is how easy is it really to do? Has anyone done it? It will be fitted against a fence and patio but I still dont get how it wont slip if you literally just lay it out?

Is there a massive difference in quality? As there are sooo many types out there at the minute, does any one have any good tips or where I can buy high quality low price artificial grass?

Any help/advice around this will really help

Thank you
:A

Comments

• After they installed artificial grass for me i'd always recommend going to Verde Sports for your artificial grass. As to whether you can install it yourself, i'd ask them about that, as it did look very complicated to me.

Their grass is very 'kid friendly' though, so much in fact that i'm considering getting some of their coloured 'groovy grass' for my daughters room =)

Hope this helps

Link! Artificial Grass
    BB
  • vervin
    vervin Posts: 185 Forumite
    Last year B and Q had it on a roll , i put it down very easy . I was/am very pleased it has wintered very well .
  • chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    HUbby laid ours 4 years ago, hubby said it was like putting a carpet down and he found it easy.

it looks as good now as it did then. We used it because doggy weewee killed the real stuff. Would never go back to "real Grass"
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • bex2012
    bex2012 Posts: 223 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    There are loads of videos on you tube about fitting astroturf. Basically you lay it within a framework (brick edging, decking etc) that the grass butts up against, and then you secure it down with staples. Its worth googling some suppliers and getting some samples as there are huge varients in quality and style. We've just bought some astroturf off ebay, end of roll direct from the manufacturer (namgrass). Doing it this way saved around £100.
  • Definitely see some in the flesh as they vary in quality and style hugely. The cheaper versions feel rougher and look like astro turf - the more expensive versions you actually double take whether they are real or not even when you first feel it
  • I have this down in my back garden and laid it myself last summer. I didn't have too much prep - just sand on top of soil. The turf just nails into the soil - it is very heavy and cumbersome, but otherwise is rather like laying a carpet. Hardest part was cutting the stuff to size!

I got a very expensive version (as an offcut) as I have a small garden. It looks extremely realistic and feels nice and soft.
  • Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Can you lay it on concrete, and how does the drainage work

thanks
  • sunshinetours
    sunshinetours Posts: 2,854 Forumite
    As far as I know its exactly like normal turf in its drainage properties. Water has to go somewhere so concrete wouldn't work, unless laid on slope towards another drain
  • I think there are so many websites that introduce about type of fake grass and you can have a check on these sites to choose best one for you.
  • They are all perforated so self draining, not difficult to lay but depends on spans and levels, small area's are very easy but larger area's would need a little more effort
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure