• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,510 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hazzanet wrote: »
    That's way too advanced.

3d_abacus.jpg

Surely?

...The EDF version wouldn't have 10 beads per line ...more like 7 on the top row,11 on the second row.............................:rotfl:
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,604 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    ...The EDF version wouldn't have 10 beads per line ...more like 7 on the top row,11 on the second row.............................:rotfl:

That explains the delay when you tell them they've made your DD too high. The "Just a moment while I recalculate it" really means "let me turn my abacus over and work it out again." :D

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• wakeupalarm
    wakeupalarm Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    EDF used to do the annual review on the anniversary of when you joined them years ago but like other energy companies now seem to only do it after the winter months so that you build up a massive surplus during the following summer.
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2012 at 9:08AM
    Options
    Nine weeks into my complaint, EDF have replied.

The reply contained the following;

'For customers whom we have supplied for less than a year, we do not believe that we are required under the current Licence or the Ofgem guidance to provide a more detailed calculation, including a forecast of future consumption up to the end of the Direct Debit anniversary date on your Direct Debit review letter. However, from August 2012, you will see this forcast on your bills as we would then hold a full year's energy consumption enabling us to offer an accurate forcast'

I have asked EDf and Ofgem under what authority or guidance they are allowed an exemption from the SLC27 or Ofgem's Factsheet on DD's.

Logically, it is even more important for a Supplier with limited.data to provide a consumption forecast and recovery period. In that way,the customer, who may hold information or be aware of consumption patterns,is able to check the DD change.

Why do they continually try and pull the wool over our eyes? :o

p.s.you will note that they are operating an anniversary date annual review.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,510 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    backfoot wrote: »

'For customers whom we have supplied for less than a year, we do not believe that we are required under the current Licence or the Ofgem guidance to provide a more detailed calculation, including a forecast of future consumption up to the end of the Direct Debit anniversary date on your Direct Debit review letter. However, from August 2012, you will see this forcast on your bills as we would then hold a full year's energy consumption enabling us to offer an accurate forcast'

Translating the first statement -" we don't know how our computer works out the required DD!":rotfl:

As to the second statement and your comment- think Jalexa (and others!) might disagree!:)
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    'For customers whom we have supplied for less than a year, we do not believe that we are required

They aren't being particularly forceful/unambiguous here. Surely if they knew for certain the wording would be:

'For customers whom we have supplied for less than a year, we are not required to..'

Typical EDF.
  • backfoot
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Translating the first statement -" we don't know how our computer works out the required DD!":rotfl:

As to the second statement and your comment- think Jalexa (and others!) might disagree!:)

Indeed making it up as they go along on both counts.

How could they possibly think they could get away with saying 'the less than one year' is exempt. :rotfl:Ludicrous.

Helpfully though, their faux pas crystalises the issue very simply. They recognise what they should do but haven't provided a system or process to do it for new customers.

The stupidity is that for the change to have been made,they must have done a calculation. It may be right or more probably wrong, but it does exist.

To continue to withold it is balmy.:rotfl:
  • backfoot
    Options
    They aren't being particularly forceful/unambiguous here. Surely if they knew for certain the wording would be:

'For customers whom we have supplied for less than a year, we are not required to..'

Typical EDF.

Desperation comes to mind.

Unfortunately, telling porkies doesn't endear me to them. ;)
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    Options
    backfoot wrote: »

Do you mean the Ofgem DD guide says so or that is the case you describe?

This is their (interim) reponse to my allegation they were 'short first year aligning' my account, contrary to the Ofgem DD entry for Edf...

"...the annual review of your budget direct debit plan is due in April rather than July so as to run in line with the reading and subsequent billing cycle for your address. As we only seek to bill our budget direct debit customer twice annually there is no scheduled billing due to take place in July and so no review can be taken at this time. We will only seek to complete bills and reviews to accurate information and so it is imperative that your billing and meter reading cycles coincide with each other to give the greatest chance of this happening..."

I will find out in the next few days whether that is a final (or more likely a default) Edf position.

I see I have been challenged by brewerdave to spot a "disagreement". Will return to that later when/if I spot it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure