Options

Comments

• backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 August 2012 at 12:54PM
    Options
    jalexa wrote: »
    On close interpretation of regulations I do not believe the Energy Ombudsman scheme is "comfortable" doing Ofgem's consumer affairs directorate's job for them. Nor do I believe "adjudication" grade staff would likely be competent to so do. Anyway it's implicit in an ombudsman scheme that the situation adjudicated is the situation at the "deadlock" conclusion of the customer issue, not the situation at the beginning or part way through a complaint.

So the process outcome you quote is IMO a perfectly reasonable customer (or consumer) outcome.

It's is a matter of fact that the wording of SLC27.14 uses the operative word "basis" which does not strike me as being a particularly strong requirement. SLC27.15 I believe is more relevant to the accuracy and/or reasonableness of the calculation.

On the "calculation numbers" I may post more later.

Although you produced these comments prior to seeing my decision, I think you have summarised the EO's view of this quite accurately.

The EO seems satisfied that generic descriptions of DD processes meets SLC 27.14 and explains the 'basis'. The trouble in reality is that such descriptions fall well short of really explaining anything useful to the customer.

However, a persistent customer does have the right to request a meaningful explanation. EDF's bogus defence of SLC31 failed. So on changing a DD, pre and post 12 months, a customer can request such detail under SLC 27.15 and the Ofgem Leaflet on DD's. Interestingly, although guided towards it,the EO did not refer to the latter in my decision.

Regarding my next steps. The report itself is an extremely poorly drafted document but I cannot see much benefit in objecting to it at this stage.I may later if quantum is not agreed.

So I have accepted their decision on points one and two but rejected point 3. An award of £20 is totally derisory given the time expended to investigate, pursue and ultimately win the complaint that EDF should have provided the information requested over six months ago. Six months later,such information is outdated and useless other than academic interest.

I have also written to Ofgem referring them to the decision and advising them of a prima facie case of a License breach. As the EO states (questionably) that it is not within their remit to judge on License breaches then Ofgem should now consider that issue.If they don't,then EDF can continue to flout the Regulations.

I am sure that Ofgem will also look at the quality of the EO's work on this. I personally would be very worried if I was responsible overall for this process and standard of response.

How they could find that EDf should have provided their calculation and at the same time say they responded in an appropriate manner is patently ridiculous.:rotfl:
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    It might be worth a read of poet123's posts on here about his/hers ombudsman complaint that sheds some light regarding the quality problems.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4138899
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2012 at 8:38AM
    Options
    In my recent experience Edf continues to fail the rules.

I was subjected to a 16% hike in my monthly payment following a change to payment date. I asked for an arithmetic explanation of the calculation and fairly soon received an arithmetically correct calculation but IMO based on more than one false premise. I would say the explanation *probably* complied with SLC 27.14. I do not consider the calculation complied with SLC 27.15.

An arbitrary start date was quoted which was neither the previous 'annual review' date nor the date of the most recent actual reading generated bill (was several months prior, fails SLC 27.15). Projected consumption over 11 months was expressed as a cost (and was fairly accurately equivalent to my figure for projected consumption:T) but was not the (inaccurate) cost projection currently still displaying in Midata.:rotfl:

The account credit balance was ignored in the calculation (fails SLC 27.15).

Edit: Blue cost saving on electricity ignored in the calculation (fails SLC 27.15).

I have formed an opinion that the explanation was the product of Edf "imagination works" and intended to self-justify by obfuscation.

Edf complaints resolution was not impressed with their adviser, apparently the particular circumstances should not have generated a recalculation. The previous payment amount was restored.

The "imagination works" explanation several times studiously mentioned "payment scheme". I believe it is more than clear from online information that the payment scheme comprises an 'annual review' recalculation and one only interim recalculation, I assume mid-"year". I personally recognise an additional condition that a post reading credit balance is maintained, however small. I have a recent complaint closure implicitly accepting that. The hapless adviser has had a lucky escape that complaint resolution were so accommodating.

I now plan to "smoke out" Edf on the timing of the interim review. No more meter readings.:D
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,604 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It will be interesting to see what happens when my Fixed S@ver ends this month and switches over to their +Price deal, which I've already signed up for. I plan to give a reading at the end of the month to ensure I'm billed correctly on the old tariff. I can calculate what my DD should be, either ignoring or including my current account credit.
    Want to put any money on their "system" coming up with a higher amount? :)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,510 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 September 2012 at 8:13AM
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what happens when my Fixed S@ver ends this month and switches over to their +Price deal, which I've already signed up for. I plan to give a reading at the end of the month to ensure I'm billed correctly on the old tariff. I can calculate what my DD should be, either ignoring or including my current account credit.
    Want to put any money on their "system" coming up with a higher amount? :)

...I've already switched from the original March 2014 to the Blue + deal - as I posted in August - post 21 on the following thread is worth reading re DD setting if you haven't already!:rotfl:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4126927
  • jalexa
    edited 17 September 2012 at 7:48AM
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    I plan to give a reading at the end of the month to ensure I'm billed correctly on the old tariff.

You have reminded me that by oversight I omitted to include in my post that the calculation "arbitrary start date" did not take into account my change to Blue tariff which is slightly cheaper on electricity (fails SLC 27.15).

BTW my tariff change date reading was handled perfectly in the next bill:T
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,604 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wonder how they'll handle me saying I want the DD put to something I know will cover my usage, rather than the silly number they're bound to come up with. Never been a problem the last 6 times their system has done it, but with a change of tariff, their attitude might be different - even though I can calculate that there will be a slight increase in my payments due to the new prices, and will attempt to get it set at that.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Veryskint
    Options
    Every time I put in meter readings they advise me they are changing my d/d from £130 to £240-£280 - despite the fact that I am usually in credit and that £130 is more than it needs to be to cover my annual usage (I get refunds every now and then when the credit balance goes up too much).

Cant wait to change (am sorting it out now) they are absolute con men in this regard, ie grabbing as much money as they can from every customer rather than working out the right amounts.
  • jalexa
    edited 28 September 2012 at 8:10AM
    Options
    For the moment I think this is still the best thread for the post. Just noticed reference to a new and improved bill format. http://www.edfenergy.com/products-services/for-your-home/my-account/Better_Bill_Customer_guide.pdf

For the "expert" there is a lot of info but I think it will leave most customers baffled. The cynic in me says satisfying the regulator is the issue. In respect of DD calculation I would say that perhaps SLC27.14 (basis of calculation) may be satisfied but it does not satisfy me on SLC27.15. There is a very telling section (16 in the "interim" direct debit bill)...

"Your comparative usage

This section shows the projected cost of your household’s energy next year if you use the same as in the last 12 months. It is for comparison purposes and does not reflect your DD amount, which takes into account the weather, your balance, and where you are in your annual cycle
    "

The bill doesn't give the assumed projected consumption (kWhrs), the energy split or state which weather station data has been used, a real "hostage to fortune". I feel an email request coming on.

Just perhaps they mean they apply the appropriate "profile", e.g standard for gas, Class 1 for electricity, in which case "weather" is not the correct word. Who knows, and the new improved bill doesn't say, IMO a SLC27.15 fail. It is interesting that British Gas have adopted a "billing for dummies" format. Edf Energy has gone the other may. Billing for "geeks", even if I say so myself.:D
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    That sample annual bill is a corker anyways....

Your estimated gas and electricity bill... This bill is based on an estimate

Further down
    Having reviewed your account, your estimated energy costs have not been covered by your monthly payment....

Riiiight so we estimated your projected usage to set a DD, then we estimated your actual usage. But somehow the two don't marry up... Well done us!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills