Moving from TalkTalk will cost £100+?

Options
I've always shopped around for gas and elec but have been lazy(ish) on phone and broadband. I'm currently BT for phone and Orange for broadband, I've only a payg mobile. I rang Orangefor my MAC code and they told me to 'just wait whilst we generate that' and gave me the expected spiel to persuade me to stay. They wanted to know who I was going to and I explained that I wasn't sure yet. They pointed out a number of issues, which Iwas aware of, but it was the statement that if I was to go to TalkTalk and wish to change after the yearly contract, it would cost over £100 to return to BT which surprised me. I can't remember the precise phrase but I think it's kind of TalkTalk using some other sort of network. Is this true and is this restricted to TT?

Believe me, I'd have to save an awful lot of money to risk the dreaded TT route! And I'm not impressed that Orange will be sending me my MAC code in the next few days as I had been told I could get it over the phone there and then. But I'm happy to spend a few hours for the potential savings.

Elizabeth

Off to concentrate on the tv programme about the rioters. Can't believe the attitude of some of these kids and parents!

Comments

• roxy86_2
    roxy86_2 Posts: 625 Forumite
    Options
    ooh i would like to know this aswell as i am currently looking to leave tt and didnt realise it would cost me money to move
    :j
  • poshparrot
    Options
    I just found this under the home phones link on the main site, what orange are trying to tell you on the phone is that it could cost you £100+ if you had to pay for a new line to be installed, but this isn't always the case as the deal below states. Hope it helps and doesn't confuse you any further :j

If you need a landline installed, there are a few ways to cut the cost - you don't have to get a BT line from BT:

Free line installation with £13/mth line rent & b'band deal.

Primus's line rental & broadband* is already cheaper than BT standard line rental alone, and we've managed to blag free line installation (usually £59) for MoneySavers on top if you sign up to its £12.99/mth package for a year. This offer is currently scheduled as ongoing.

If you want inclusive evening and weekend calls to landlines, it's £1/mth more. For full details on the package, see the Primus phone bundle below.

Anyone needing a brand new line, reconnecting an old BT one or switching from another provider such as TalkTalk, Plusnet, O2 or Sky can take up the offer. If you're a Virgin Media customer you can also switch to Primus for free, but you'll lose your existing phone number.
  • thefirs
    thefirs Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stuff lies and nonsense from Orange. Look at this current thread..forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3721715
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It doesn't cost you anything to leave TT (unless you are still in your minmum term contract).
    However, if you are already on a TT LLU line then you may not be able to go direct to another LLU provider, you will probably have to go via BT o a return to donor. This is free, but requires you to take a 12M line rental with BT.
    Once you are back on the BT network, you can then provision your broadband with your preferred supplier.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • roxy86_2
    Options
    what is a llu line? how do you know if you are on that?
  • macman
    Options
    Local Loop Unbundled
    Check https://www.samknows.com to see if your ISP is LLU on your exchange.
    Then dial 17070, listen for the 'number defined as' message. If you get a series of options after that, it's not LLU.
  • roxy86_2
    Options
    thanks macman, sorry took so long to reply have had a right day of it today. anyways just called that number and it read back my phone number twice and then hung up so i must be LLU. Does this now mean i have to go to bt for my line rental? and then i can choose who my broadband goes with?
  • roxy86_2
    Options
    also i noticed on samknows.comthat when i type in my tel number and postcode it says that the only providers i can have in my area are talk talk, sky, aol, and bt so thereore does that mean they are the only providers i can choose from?
  • macman
    Options
    Talk to your preferred supplier first and explain the situation to them.
    No, the samknows results list the only LLU providers available. All the non-LLU providers (Plusnet, Zen, and dozens more) are available on all exchanges, so are not listed.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 4,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just to add to the debate - I'm leaving TT next week (from an LLU line and at end of contract) and have been able to transfer straight to Plusnet for phone & broadband. Did it all online with no MAC needed. Whether this is because Plusnet are part of BT, I don't know, but so far, so good - D-day is next Tuesday so I may be gone from here for some time...

Edit to say this was done with no charge from Plusnet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport