play.com faulty hard drive

Options
Hi all

I am hoping someone could give me some advice on a problem with play.com. I ordered a portable external hard drive from them on 5th December 2011 which will have arrived around a week later. I have used it three times since I got it. When I tried to use it today it isn't working and is just making a loud clicking noise, have tried on two other laptops with the same result. I emailed play.com straight away expecting it to be a simple matter of exchanging it, their response is that because the item has been removed from it's packaging and is over 30 days old it is nothing to do with them :eek: and I should contact the manufacturer. I was always of the view that a contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer but am unsure if this applies with play being based in Jersey. :(

The drive was only cheap but it is still annoying that they are just fobbing me off with this.

Would appreciate any advice or views.

Thanks very much, Louise

Comments

• vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    The contract is with the retailer. However it might be quicker and easier to go via the manufacturer - they might well have a website with a warranty checker on it that you could go to to create an RMA.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    Also, whoever the drive is sent to are allowed to repair the drive if they want. They don't have to replace.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 February 2012 at 7:26AM
    Options
    I've added that URL into the FAQ's [post=41543332]Useful Links[/post] post.

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport