Insurer Offering £1000 cash for £40 extra

Options
Hi guys, Had a call earlier from a Bell.co.uk Sales agent , my current car insurer, saying they were offering me £1000 in the case of a write-off (regardless of fault etc) on top of the market value of my car (around £30k) for one-off fee of £40, for the entire year.

Is this a good idea or bad?
"The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes if you have an agreed value policy, But i assume their current value for your car is
    at least £1500 less than you think its worth. So you still get less than you think its worth.

Bargain for £40 not... Also means they have an extra £1000 to put towards repairs to stop them writing it off i guess.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• jimpix12
    jimpix12 Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yeah, thought that after posting actually re: market value suddenly going down. Guess I won't take them up on it.
    "The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    Given you believe the vehicle is currently worth £30k then the probability of a total loss is fairly slim (though obviously not 0)

What did they call the add on out of curiosity?
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    It's a good offer.

For Bell.

If more than 1 in 25 of their customers have a fault accident that writes their car off they make a loss.
    If it's 1 in 25 they break even.
    If less than 1 in 25 do, they make even more profit.

Who thinks more than 1 in 25 of their customers write their cars off?
  • JamesUKA
    Options
    Sounds a bit like playing the lottery - Maybe they'll dish out scratch cards for an extra £10 a month ? :D
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    mikey72 wrote: »
    It's a good offer.

For Bell.

If more than 1 in 25 of their customers have a fault accident that writes their car off they make a loss.
    If it's 1 in 25 they break even.
    If less than 1 in 25 do, they make even more profit.

Who thinks more than 1 in 25 of their customers write their cars off?

A slightly simplistic argument as it depends if it is a rated product or not. You also need to consider both their demographics and which demographics it appeals to. Could get messy if you have a large proportion of sub £2k cars on your books all paying only £40 to increase payouts by anything from 50% to 200%
  • mikey72
    Options
    A slightly simplistic argument as it depends if it is a rated product or not. You also need to consider both their demographics and which demographics it appeals to. Could get messy if you have a large proportion of sub £2k cars on your books all paying only £40 to increase payouts by anything from 50% to 200%

Providing more than 1 in 25 have a fault accident, and write them off.
    But I agree it's simplistic.

Bell no doubt only offer it to those least likely to have a fault accident, and to owners of 30K cars that are unlikely to ever be written off.
    So in reality it's probably all pure profit for them.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I wonder how much the claims ratio for theft and / fire claims for the customers on this scheme with sub £2k cars is
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    Given current repair costs, it wouldnt even need to go that far, accidentally clip a wall/ gatepost etc and go to a high street dealership and it would be a total loss - just replacing the front wing on our VW was circa £1800
  • mikey72
    Options
    Given current repair costs, it wouldnt even need to go that far, accidentally clip a wall/ gatepost etc and go to a high street dealership and it would be a total loss - just replacing the front wing on our VW was circa £1800

Only on the initial quote for the insurer.
    Not after the rebate.

And certainly not if done privately.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family