Virgin Router move

Options
Rang Virgin today to ask for router/internet connection to be moved downstairs. They said that will be £99. Ridiculous!!!

I have had nothing but issues with them regarding Billing and Installation. There is a connection already downstairs. It's not as if it's a full install.

Anyone have any tips apart from leaving Virgin.

Thanks,
C

Comments

• spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    The £99 charge is for a maintenance call,it's not ridiculous if the house requires a re-wire or cables need replacing.As the's a connection point already there it should be much lower,chances are the person you spoke to does not know what's involved & has quoted the party line.
    Unfortunatly,it's not something you can do yourself using stuff from B&Q.You're best bet would be to ring up & raise a fault for intermittent wireless connection,when the engineer calls out,tell him you have intermittent connection downstairs & could he move the SACM downstairs,it'll take him five minutes.
    Check your PM in a few minutes.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, it isn't ridiculous. Why shoud it be free - after all it is you who want to change the installation! If you are not capable of doring the work yourself (it IS only a low-voltage cable after all) and there is nothnig that stipulates you cannot modify the installatioin within your property after the network termination point,

If you cannot, any electrician will be happy to do the job, for which you'll pay them based on the time the job takes. If there is a connection already in the room you wish to relocate to, buy a cable splitter and run the TV Box and Modem from the same lead.
  • spike7451
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    I agree, it isn't ridiculous. Why shoud it be free - after all it is you who want to change the installation! If you are not capable of doring the work yourself (it IS only a low-voltage cable after all) and there is nothnig that stipulates you cannot modify the installatioin within your property after the network termination point,

If you cannot, any electrician will be happy to do the job, for which you'll pay them based on the time the job takes. If there is a connection already in the room you wish to relocate to, buy a cable splitter and run the TV Box and Modem from the same lead.

Wrong I'm afraid,That may be the case with BT but not cable.If any non standard equipment.cable fittings ect are found to be used on a cable install & the is a fault,then it's a £50 charge to the customer.!It's in the T&C's;

http://shop.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-cable-services.html#general

You agree that you or a person authorised by you (who is 18 or over) will be present when we install the equipment at your home.
    Where we need to install equipment at your home, we will make every effort to fit the equipment where you prefer. However, this may not be possible because of technical or other reasons. If this is the case, we will connect the equipment as we see fit. Please do not move any equipment. Should you wish to alter the routing of any existing equipment such as cables or wall sockets, you should contact us.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    You can buy the cable on ebay and move it yourself. All it is is screw in to the wall / router.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • spike7451
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    You can buy the cable on ebay and move it yourself. All it is is screw in to the wall / router.

It may not as simple as that...What type of Isolator does she have? Qantex TV only Isolator or is it TV/FM?...TV/DATA?...Is the already a service running off the downstairs Isolator like a STB?.....is the a splitter between the Isolator & the STB?...
    If the OP buys the wrong cable off E-Bay,like you suggest, & causes a fault that involves a service call,then you've cost the OP a £50 charge..I've PM'd the OP with what he/she needs to do in order to move it.
  • modelreject
    Options
    Let me clarify the use of the word 'ridiculous'. It is ridiculous because they have overcharged me for 5 months. If I hadn't have noticed they would have made a tidy profit. I lost two days paid work waiting in for the incompetent installers and more. The list goes on. Thanks for all the advice :-)
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Let me clarify the use of the word 'ridiculous'. It is ridiculous because they have overcharged me for 5 months. If I hadn't have noticed they would have made a tidy profit. I lost two days paid work waiting in for the incompetent installers and more. The list goes on. Thanks for all the advice :-)

Just as a cheaper solution, could you not use wireless or one of those power adaptors?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    Just as a cheaper solution, could you not use wireless or one of those power adaptors?

But that doesn't make £99 unreasonable for a call out charge and say an hour's labour.
    BT would charge £130 minimum.
    What does your plumber or electrician charge for the same?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    But that doesn't make £99 unreasonable for a call out charge and say an hour's labour.
    BT would charge £130 minimum.
    What does your plumber or electrician charge for the same?

I'm not questioning the £99 charge (I am my plumber and electrician :o)
    A wireless router can be had for I think £10, the OP has not mentioned why the router needs to be moved so drastically, I'm sure there are cost alternatives he could choose if he opposes the VM charge :o
  • modelreject
    modelreject Posts: 700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 February 2012 at 2:52PM
    Options
    The router needs to be moved as the small front room will become a baby room. Don't want to have the wireless router in there anymore, not because of any major health concerns, mainly to get rid of the wires, leads etc. It is a very small box room.

I only turn the router on when I need it at the moment, ideally I would like to flick one switch downstairs to turn on TV, Router etc. It will just be handy. The debate of whether to move or is not a debate, its the cost.

Gegarding plumber/electrican costs I had over an hours work and parts cost £30 not so long ago so yes £99 is still extortionate especially when I have been given such poor support so far.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport