Rights to cancel

Hi, newbie here.

We have tried to cancel a holiday with Virgin Holidays, but have been told the following

'When booking on line you accept the terms and conditions, therefore no cooling off period is offered'

We booked on line so thought we could use the distance selling act. The holiday is not untill October, and we canselled within 7 days.

Are they correct, or are we being fobbed off?

All help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    No, they are correct. The distance selling act doesn't include travel.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Ok thanks for the help, they have offered a voucher, which we will accept.
  • delwynshd
    delwynshd Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    Hello

I work for the operator and as Richardw says the distance selling act doesnt include travel

What were your reason of cancelling

They will allow you to put the deposit down on a future holiday

Thanks
    Del
    I am a Travel Agent

My company’s ABTA numbers are P6046. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
  • We found out that we were not going to be flying with them and the airline they were using had very bad reviews.

Also, when we phoned they up to ask about an upgrade from standard room to the villas, they were very unhelpful. They said that we would have to call back at a later date and they didnt have the information to hand. We asked if they could call us back when they had the information, but they stated that they do not do call backs!

Not the service we expected from Virgin.

So we canceled the booking.

As this is an expensive holiday and a its a long to Sri Lanka, we wanted good flights. Not to much to ask from a company who built its reputation on great service and a 1st class airline :(
  • Moonchild
    Moonchild Posts: 802 Forumite
    Seems very drastic? Could a resolution not be found? At first glance cutting off nose to spite face etc.

And also how did you not know the airline you'd be flying with? Virgin don't fly to Sri Lanka, so I presume they have put you on a charter (Qatar, Emirates, Sri Lankan all arguably better than Virgin, at least I would argue it, and they can be great value).

Also sounds like they were poor in assisting with your upgrade, but typically they would be happy to upsell you. Perhaps you got a poor consultant (and could have called back?).

I can't help but feel there could have been a better way forward!
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We found out that we were not going to be flying with them and the airline they were using had very bad reviews.

As this is an expensive holiday and a its a long to Sri Lanka, we wanted good flights. Not to much to ask from a company who built its reputation on great service and a 1st class airline :(

It may be worth pointing out that Virgin also get very poor reviews on Skytrax.

I am assuming you would have been flying economy.

When Virgin first came onto the scene, they were innovative, provided great in fight service and attained a great reputation.

After a break of a few years, we used them again - and what a let down. It thought it may have just been a bad day, but there is a common theme on Skytrax that their economy service has deteriorated rapidly from its heyday.

I just wonder if the airline they provided for you would have been any worse.
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2012 at 4:57PM
    If you booked online it should quite clearly have shown you which airline you were flying with; there is a point in the booking which states which flights are used in the current quote and you have the option to choose different times/airlines to suit (if applicable).

Virgin have never flown to Sri Lanka and TBH I think they have been generous in allowing you a voucher/transfer; you don't really seem savvy enough to me to be booking a holiday of this type yourself online.

PS: could this be a wind-up? OP - there is nothing either on Virgin's website or in their brochures to suggest that flights would be with Virgin; in fact, information is quite clearly stated to the contrary!
  • delwynshd
    delwynshd Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    Virgin have never flown direct to Sri Lanka

I flew with Air Sri Lanka in June last year and they were absolutely fine

Which airline was it?

If you need any help or assitance then feel free to contact me

Thanks
    Del
    I am a Travel Agent

My company’s ABTA numbers are P6046. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 January 2012 at 5:16PM
    As incapuppy has highlighted, the Virgin Holiday Website on the Sri Lanka destination page quite clearly states:

Flight Details - Sri Lankan Airlines' flights to Colombo depart daily from London Heathrow. Emirates flights depart daily (with a change of aircraft in Dubai) from Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow. Qatar flight via Doha depart daily from London Heathrow and Manchester.

I have flown with all of the airlines quoted and I can assure you that they are all far superior to Virgin (IMO). Sri Lankan cabin crew had a bit of attitude - but otherwise they were fine.

I really think you may have been hasty in cancelling.
  • It was with with Etihad Airlines. We have rebooked with Thomspon and will fly with Qatar Airlines.
    Bigger seats and much better reviews.

We have around 2 or 3 holidays per year, so thanks for the comment of us being naive, but we do ok thanks!

Sure, we should of checked at the time of booking, but we have never had an issue before.

We will use the voucher for our next holiday to a place where they do fly to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure