Reduced Flight Price

Options
I booked flights to New Zealand in the Emirates ‘sale’ via Netflights (they were marginally cheaper) at the beginning of the month for travel at the beginning of March, but I checked the price of the flights again today and they have gone down by £600 (£300 per passenger)! This is frustrating, as we made sure we booked during the sale period to save money.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get any kind of compensation for this? I suspect not though… :(

Comments

• phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    its soooo frustrating i filled my car up the other day and the next day it went down 2p a litre, i went back in the shop and insisted they refund the difference, they refused and im now taking them to the small claims court for my money back!!!
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    just kidding of course not you were happy with the price when you paid your money and the contract is sealed then, its the old adage if the price went up would you be happy paying more?
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, that happens. It is annoying but it's what happens. Flight prices can go down as well as up.

Best advice is; once you've booked, stop checking the price :D
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    elm wrote: »
    I suspect not though… :(
    Me too.

Sterling advice!:j
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, that happens. It is annoying but it's what happens. Flight prices can go down as well as up.

absolutely - book at a price you're happy to pay, then put down your mouse and step away from your pc ;).
  • hearts
    hearts Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    Options
    Happy to pay?????????? Just because you book it doesn't mean your "happy to pay" it just means you have no option but to pay. When you see a Sale you are quite right to think this is the best price that's likely to be available. Robbin bastoords. But it's the same all over, these false sales are everywhere nowadays.
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hearts wrote: »
    Happy to pay?????????? Just because you book it doesn't mean your "happy to pay" it just means you have no option but to pay.

'Course you do. Either pay and get tickets, or don't pay and don't get tickets. Totally optional.

We'd all definitely be happier to pay less, but it's on a scale.
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • elm
    elm Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    I don’t have much of an option as I am a bridesmaid at a wedding, which also means my dates aren’t flexible. I also wasn’t particularly happy with the price (a flight that cost more than I paid for my car?! Ouch…) but I’d been checking for days during the sale period and it hadn’t changed, so I had to go for it. I’d waited nearly a year for this sale so I could buy the flights at a cheaper price, but I suspect it possibly would have been cheaper buying them prior to this!

I didn’t actively go and check the flight price, but I still had a fare alert set up which I hadn’t got round to unsubscribing from and noticed that the fare had dropped considerably. I posted my gripe to see if anyone had taken a chance and had tried their luck at getting any money back. I guess there’s no harm in trying, although it is 10p a minute to call Netflights! I do realise it’s highly unlikely I’ll get anywhere though.

I see that there is another post regarding this subject from last week, but the poster is flying to Australia. It sounds like Emirates’ sale wasn’t much of a sale. Oh well, such is life… :o
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    hearts wrote: »
    Happy to pay?????????? Just because you book it doesn't mean your "happy to pay" it just means you have no option but to pay. When you see a Sale you are quite right to think this is the best price that's likely to be available. Robbin bastoords. But it's the same all over, these false sales are everywhere nowadays.

You definitely have an option as badger lady says.

OP were you checking prices leading up to the sale? (you said you had been waiting a year) Did you book when you saw them at their cheapest? If so you should have been happy with that nd stopped looking

In my experience the best time to book is often as soon as the tickets are released, about 11 months in advance of travel
  • elm
    elm Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I did have an option, but I would have let a close friend down on her wedding day. I had checked the flight prices a few times throughout the year, but I was lured by the promise of a sale as you assume that you will save money buying things in a sale. I wasn’t happy with any price, as I mentioned in my previous post, as it’s so bloody expensive! :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure