Grocery Challenge - February 2012

edited 30 January 2012 at 8:27AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2K replies 154.6K views

Replies

• BarbedukBarbeduk Forumite
    869 posts
    500 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all, NSD yesterday but today I had to pop to Mr M for mushrooms and rolls for the weekend, so spent £2.04. Also bought the kids some sweets for trying so hard in their spellings but that's coming out of my pocket money (£10 a week and I usually don't spend it all!!) :)

Have just made some flapjacks 'for the weekend' but they'll be gone by the end of the day! :rotfl:

Elsiepac, I always used the very best flour until I did a stint waitressing in a local tearoom. All the cakes, scones etc were home made using mr t's value flour and I've used the value ranges ever since. I've even seen one of our local cafes unloading their !id! shop!
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • Barbeduk wrote: »
    Hi all, NSD yesterday but today I had to pop to Mr M for mushrooms and rolls for the weekend, so spent £2.04. Also bought the kids some sweets for trying so hard in their spellings but that's coming out of my pocket money (£10 a week and I usually don't spend it all!!) :)

Have just made some flapjacks 'for the weekend' but they'll be gone by the end of the day! :rotfl:

Elsiepac, I always used the very best flour until I did a stint waitressing in a local tearoom. All the cakes, scones etc were home made using mr t's value flour and I've used the value ranges ever since. I've even seen one of our local cafes unloading their !id! shop!

Flapjacks? Thats sooooo 2011 Old Style...dontchya know fruity pancakes are all the rage now?:rotfl:j/k

Interesting to hear about tearooms also using Mr T's value flour, it just goes to show that its what you do with ingredients that matters, not what you spend on them!
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72
    Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012:heart2:

• Updated my siggy with the mr t deleivery which came on Monday. I know the budget isn't looking pretty but am hoping to eek out as much as possible!

Can anyone advise me?
    When I make lasagne, the lasagne sheets get really hard and burgnt, they dont go lovely and pasta-ry like they should. Mainly round the sides of the dish. Am I putting them too close to the edge? Sorry for the thicko question, DP loves lasagne but I dont make it due to disasterville!

xxx
  • CompBunny wrote: »

Interesting to hear about tearooms also using Mr T's value flour, it just goes to show that its what you do with ingredients that matters, not what you spend on them!

I only ever buy value flour as does an aquaintance of mine who is a baker and makes wedding cakes etc LOL

xxx
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    crowd pleaser....are u putting enough white sauce on the top and spreading it to the edge...maybe the oven is too hot
    i use the cheapest flour...once saw a pallett load of sainsburys basic in the oatcake shop in stoke on trent....i thought if it is good enough for them it will do me.....on the cafe owners shopping when we were on a self catering holiday in minehead a few years back i was having a look in the somerfield reduced fridge and a man in chefs whites who i recognised fron the cafe we had been in the day before was buying loads....makes u think
    onwards and upwards
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone advise me?
    When I make lasagne, the lasagne sheets get really hard and burgnt, they dont go lovely and pasta-ry like they should. Mainly round the sides of the dish. Am I putting them too close to the edge? Sorry for the thicko question, DP loves lasagne but I dont make it due to disasterville!

xxx
    I think this could be one of a number of things:
    • make sure the pasta is quick cook ie doesn't need to be pre-cooked - traditional lasagne is supposed to be pre-cooked
    • is the pasta exposed (make sure there are not bits poking out, not covered by whatever filling or sauce you are using)?
    • don't cook it quite so hot - this is my usual trick and results in burnt edges - your oven might be a bit fierce (fan ovens are famous for this)
    HTH SL

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £2161.30/£5k 28.72% after Apr
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £863.93/£3k 28.8% so far at end of April
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 £7,678.12/£15,000 51.9%
    MFIT T5 No 2 £50,483/£59,998 or 84.14% paid after Q5
    My Debt Free Diary is here
  • raphaniusraphanius Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    just a dusting of snow here in chesterfield and a £1 spend to declare for milk :)
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
  • OS_QSOS_QS Forumite
    339 posts
    a little bit of luck - someone left yesterdays sun on the train seat this morning - I've scored a £5 off voucher for morrisons, I was going to go to sainsburys tonight, but I think someones telling me to go to mo's!!

Hopefully wont spend more than the £40 so I can maximise the saving :)
    Mortgage debt : -£17,000
    2019 overpayments : £23,000
  • Right have just done online order for Monday delivery and am going to make a final attempt at Lasagne as already have the meat and the sheets so will have a go.

Does anybody par boil the no pre cooking sheets anyway so they are soft when they go in? Another site recommened it but I dont wanna waste my time if just more sauce needed! LOL

xxx
  • jedi82jedi82 Forumite
    410 posts
    Hi, haven't been on for a bit, i seem to spend all my time reading the posts and then never get time to post (as i speak dd2 is trying to close the laptop lol). went to mr m today as got my £5 voucher yesterday and got one of those valentines meal deals for a tenner. i don't normally buy these but as i was getting wine anyway, the food only cost a fiver. Also got a reduced co-op large chicken for £3 yesterday rather than £6.60 so bunged that in the freeer.

I got a few more stockpile bits with my second purse but am now in deficit by £1.11 - not sure that is supposed to happen but won't stockpile anymore until use some bits :o

Am going back to L!dl tomorrow as into town anyway and it is on the way back. Got to get some more of their jam - it is lovely! So spend will go up again but have a lot of stuff in.

Hope everyone has a nice day, it is grey and raining here and do not want to go out and do the school run in a bit!

jedi x
    Finally getting my life on track. Onwards and upwards.
    BSC No 327
    GC Jan £336.91/£450
    GC Feb £0/£400