Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Grocery Challenge - February 2012 - Page 74

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

edited 30 January 2012 at 7:27AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2K replies 154.8K views

Replies

• Ninno820Ninno820 Forumite
    765 posts
    Hi - another NSD here - work is hectic so no time to shop - fortunately!!
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • mi_jardinmi_jardin Forumite
    584 posts
    ✭✭
    I spent £6.05 today. I got some chipolatas for our Saturday cooked breakfast, some belly pork for dinner tomorrow, a dozen eggs and a bag of carrots from the SM, then had a look on the fruit and veg stall in the market and got 3 boxes of strawberries for a £1. I bought them thinking they would be tasteless, but something different to put in a pudding, but I just pinched one and they are lovely! Bonus! I only wish I had some cream to go with them!

• Hi all, great to here your progress! Could I please be added to the challenge? my budget is £300
    March'13 - Debt £13000 :eek:
    Total % paid - 0%
  • PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    mi_jardin wrote: »
    I spent £6.05 today. I got some chipolatas for our Saturday cooked breakfast, some belly pork for dinner tomorrow, a dozen eggs and a bag of carrots from the SM, then had a look on the fruit and veg stall in the market and got 3 boxes of strawberries for a £1. I bought them thinking they would be tasteless, but something different to put in a pudding, but I just pinched one and they are lovely! Bonus! I only wish I had some cream to go with them!

Result with the strawberries! What are you going to do with your belly pork?
    Ninno820 wrote: »
    Hi - another NSD here - work is hectic so no time to shop - fortunately!!

Bonus! As long as you've got useable stuff in, it's always a great feeling to be too busy to shop!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending

• Feel bad that we're indoors all day, but I'm just not up to taking them anywhere. Still, dd has done crafting so far today, and made 2 cards, with plans (and a shopping list!) for another about 20 projects! Hobbicraft here we come once I'm better!

PG x

Have you looked on the website crafty crocodiles, these are great for craft projects and really cheap.

Tracey
    Officially debt free :j
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • prepareathomeprepareathome Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Just a £4 spend yesterday on more milk and whoopsie lamb joint ( will do two meals) £2so thats £16.10 out of my £35 for the month so very pleased and still plenty in freezer and cupboards. Checked the benfits advice pages and it said I was entitled to HB and CTB so called my council only to be told as my husband is working and we have no children their policy is not to give any benefit to couples with no children unless they are on JSA , IS, PC or ESA, woman was very nasty and told me now I have told you that no doubt I will be receiving your claim in couple of weeks once you husband has given up his job. I told her unless he is made redundant in the next round of redundancies at his work in April she will not be receiving anything from us, but I am going to have a word with my MP as if government say we should get benefits then I want to challenge the councils right to refuse, they ( government) are going on and on about people working, yet our councils policy is basically to make people give up their work grrrrrrr. Sorry nothing to do with GC.

So I think if I am very careful I can get through this month within budget. Milk I bought should last a week - we usually go through 3 or 4 4pt cartons a week. I buy 1% fat milk so cannot really water it down, its thin enough, but we enjoy the taste. I might have bought just 3 cartons but milk gone up to £1.18 a 4pt carton or two for £2. I searched and got latest date as I always do and so milk should be ok till 16th - if it goes off before, as has happened in past, back it will go to sm for a fresh one, never had a problem with exchanging before.

Tonight we are having a half pound of sirloin steak ( reduced to £1 for 1lb) stewed with vegetables and pasta and dumplings - might sound an odd mixture put I fancy it. Only using stock cubes, tin tomatoes and bisto gravy power, salt and pepper to flavour it, nothing fancy. Can't afford to have the sirloin as a steak and 1/2lb can be shared between us cubed up.
    :rotfl:C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z # 1 prepareathome - baker, premium prepper (hence member #1), topic keeper:rotfl:
    Sealed Pot Member1433:2011 £119.12/2012-? Save £12k in 2012 No 126
    Stopped Smoking Wed 25th Jan 2012
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done a batch of Nigella's Breakfast Bars for DH for the mornings. I am hoping that he will like them as at the moment he grabs a packet or two of crisps for breakfast which ain't good for him.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prepared at Home, I also think a letter to the council about the womans attitude to you would be a good idea. There is no need to treat people like that. She needs retraining.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • BarbedukBarbeduk Forumite
    869 posts
    500 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your run in with the snitty council woman prepareathome, you'd think she'd appreciate you're trying as hard as you can.:mad:
    Got the rest of the main shopping today, £5.37 at mr t only because they had a couple of things cheaper than a$da ( I really hate mr t!!) then £21.76 at !id! Including some of their lovely chocolate.:p
    Apart from grocery shopping and making a payment to cc, I haven't spent any money this week. No coffees, no bought sandwiches, no car parking. Am feeling like this!! :A
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • SueP19SueP19 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭
    Well I kinder lost my way a bit :rotfl: It all started when I was told that I had to record my purchases with second purse when I bought them back, so I started making a list of buy backs, then lost it and got into a muddle.

You see my bills spreadsheet records what I have physically spent at the supers, so you can understand adding back and forth got a tad fiddly :o
    Anyway I have adjusted my totals back to how they were, hopefully I will have the time to keep up by doing it this way :D

Feb spending so far is £65.77
    Mort Oct 15 [STRIKE]£70,353[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66,422[/STRIKE] £58,804 MF [STRIKE]Dec 31[/STRIKE] Jun 31([STRIKE]191[/STRIKE] 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 £700/£1,000 Debt [STRIKE]May 09 £30,217[/STRIKE][STRIKE]Oct 17 £14,093[/STRIKE]Nov 18 £6,336.12[/B]