Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Grocery Challenge - February 2012 - Page 73

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

edited 30 January 2012 at 7:27AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2K replies 154.8K views

Replies

• Still under budget but getting close. It is do-able as long as we keep eating out of the freezer.
    We bought a house last week and will be moving quickly so I would LOVE to empty all the food and start afresh in my new house!!
  • edited 8 February 2012 at 12:04PM
    tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 February 2012 at 12:04PM
    Done some GF banana bread this morning, though I have put it in a foil baking tray to see if I can make it into a tray bake type thing. I am going to melt some chunks of chocolate that I had left over from the chocolate cake I made the other day and drizzle it over the top.

Also got a loaf in the bread maker. There has been a strange smell in the kitchen and I haven't been able to trace it and I found it today. I did a loaf over night for sandwiches the next day and it didn't rise and was a lump. So I left it there to deal with when the the kids went to school and then forgot about it. I haven't made any since, got out of the habit, so decided today that I needed to get back in the habit and found it. The paddle was stuck solid in it and I had to soak it to soften it and get it out. The fur on it was incredible and the pan took a lot of scrubbing to get clean. But I am now up and running and making bread again.

Have 2 of the kids off school atm with slapped cheek, had 2 off last week as well. DH has damaged his knee and is on some pretty funky pain killers. He has been told to keep off it and keep it elevated but he has to go to work so he gets home from work absolutly knackered and good for nothing so I am doing most of everything and feeling a trifle worn out.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Just wanted to declare another couple of spends £11.72 on Mr T. last Sunday as we had some guests coming so we had to buy some bits and bobs. Also 76p at co-op on some fabric conditioner (half price and I used my £1 off voucher!) and £3.18 on eggs and milk at Mr T. I'm not happy that we spent £2.18 on 6 extra large eggs but that will teach me a lesson and be more specific when I send DH to buy things for me.

Still within budget. So far so good!
    :jBaby girl born 3rd October 2012:j
  • GorgeestwoGorgeestwo Forumite
    536 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Ended up spending just under £30 yesterday :( was a bit unexpected, but both DS and I ended up in hospital for a bit yesterday, for different reasons, but the meal plan took a bit of a back seat and we cheated for tea. I'm not able to cook very well at the moment, so am defrosting some bologanise sauce for the kids tea tonight and not sure what DH and I will be having, think I'll let him sort that out :) Got both the kids off school today, so just about to do some poached eggs on toast for them for lunch.
    Off to add £30 to my total.
    Sorry haven't been able to keep up with the thread again, but hope everyone is having a good week and keeping warm :)
    Grocery challenge : January 2016 £65.86/£300
    For 2 adults, 2 children (10 & 9 yrs) 3 cats & 2 dogs.

• OS_QSOS_QS Forumite
    339 posts
    That's a week of using up what was in the house and freezer.

I need to go to the shops for food, but have been delaying it to make what I have last longer. I'm hoping to last until Friday. :o A Sure fire way to not spend is to avoid the shops completely, but I'm really craving fresh fruit and veg! I'm getting more than a little bored with my meals recently.

I will need to stick to my shopping list on Friday at Sainsburys, or I will have a basket full of lovely fruit and veg that will go off before I can use it all up.
    Mortgage debt : -£17,000
    2019 overpayments : £23,000
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if anyone remembers when I put a gammon in the SC and covered it in demerera sugar. I put some of the gammon sliced up in in the freezer and the sauce that DH made into a type of hoi sin sauce. I have put the gammon and sauce in the SC this afternoon for dinner tonight. Will serve it with rice with peas and sweetcorn. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if anyone remembers when I put a gammon in the SC and covered it in demerera sugar. I put some of the gammon sliced up in in the freezer and the sauce that DH made into a type of hoi sin sauce. I have put the gammon and sauce in the SC this afternoon for dinner tonight. Will serve it with rice with peas and sweetcorn. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Let us know! Hope you enjoy it.
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • nimbonimbo Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    projects! Hobbicraft here we come once I'm better!

PG x

seriously recommend the works they are so much cheaper.... they may not have such a vast range but on three items i bought in hobby carft i would have saved nearly £8 the other day.

any hoo -

up to £62.56 so far.

i have loads of food in and really no need to shop until after work on Saturday when i will treat myself to a 'takeaway' ie a boxed pizza from Iceland.

hugs to all. and stay warm. :0)

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    nimbo wrote: »
    seriously recommend the works they are so much cheaper.... they may not have such a vast range but on three items i bought in hobby carft i would have saved nearly £8 the other day.

Thanks. Yeah, I vary between hobbicraft, the works, the range and others, but hobbicraft has the most extensive range of bits and pieces. For what she needs, I prob will go to hobbi, as the wrks is in town and a faff to get to. Thanks anyway.

Children don't want a snack this avo, so that's a bit of a saving!! Was only going to be dried fruit, but that can keep for another time now.
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • ixiaixia Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Spent £2 today on bread, milk and rolls.