Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Grocery Challenge - February 2012 - Page 166

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

edited 30 January 2012 at 7:27AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2K replies 154.8K views

Replies

• mummygemsmummygems Forumite
    358 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    My new month starts today and have done my big monthly shop!

I know what you mean when some of you say the monthly shopping sends you over your budget overall but my monthly shop consists of all the non-perishable items so nappies, baby wipes, tins, frozen veg, loo roll, deodrant, shampoo etc etc. Whatever I have left after the monthly spend I then divide by the weeks left before next pay day and try and stick to it like that.

Done my meal plan for the month and also have listed each weeks shopping list out on another piece of paper to coincide with the meal plan and that way we can add to each week whatever else might be needed rather than popping to the shop just for that one thing and then grabbing whatever else takes our fancy!

I agree how much the prices are rising is shocking. Am going to try the local farm shop for fruit and veg again and see how the prices compare. Problem is sometimes its either not as cheap as the supermarket or not up to much cop and goes off within 24/48hrs.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (14), DD (12) & DS (9) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles
  • russetredrussetred Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's me finished for February and on to update my siggy. I'm on track for the year and I've still been able to stock up on some stuff to last well into the year like coffee, fairy liquid and fabric softener. I dont tend to do a monthly big shop as I like to take advantage of an offer when I see it. My freezer was going down but its nearly full with the meal deal that gave back a nice JTD so anyone for potatoe dauphinoise?
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • Yesterday I had some bits and bobs in the bottom of the fridge to use up and fancied a quiche but couldn't be bothered to mess about making some pastry so I made a quiche without pastry, it was really tasty and less calories. I also made some potato wedges for the first time and will definately being doing those again.

First big shop of the month today, will update later. I was going to go to Mr M's but decided to go to Mr T's as it is closer, so pleased I did I got a lovely cardigan for £2:)
    Jan GC £300/£296 :j March GC £375/£336:j
    Feb GC £300290:j April GC £300/£270:j
    May GC £250/£273:(
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    mh2361 wrote: »
    and of course, chocolate on offer has fewer calories!!!!! I wish!
    Had a NSD yesterday which I'm dead chuffed with, but looked at debts today so on a bit of a downer.:(

mh2361 Don't be down on yourself about the debt. You are actively addressing it - you have paid off two of your CCs so even if the total is still high, the number of cards is fewer - ceremonially shredding them as you clear them is part of the celebration of clearing them (it was for me) - when I met my DH between us we owed more on CCs than the total of his mortgage and we cleared them over the next two years.

We cut out all unnecessary spend and had no treats until it was clear. At one point I remember his German tax bill came in and the only way to clear it was to sell my car (which I loved) - so we did. We have two vehicles again now but it was about the debt then. In hindsight we should have carried on and cleared the mortgage too but we didn't.

This GC is my first step towards controlling what I spend and I will clear the total debts before I retire - or rather, I will keep working until I have cleared them all. We each have a card we clear each month now and a third that is 0% for purchases to spread any emergencies out. The rest are gone. Then there is our mortgage (I have a plan for that though).

There are loads of good practices on here and some who seem to live pretty much on no spends so plenty of top tips to learn from!

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £5,010.84/£5k 100.22% after September
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £2,230.32/£3k 74.34% so far at end of Sep
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 - exceeded our £15,000 target and paid the whole thing off
    MFIT T5 No 2 all gone after Q7
    My Debt Free Diary was Get a grip Woman
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone, :hello:

I've had a busy week this week and lost control of where I was on here a few days ago. I don't think I'll manage to catch up today and so hugs to everyone who wants or needs them.

We've had a few more smallish spends including the butcher greengrocer and coop today but OH forgot potatoes so will get them later today. I hope the weekend will be NSD so I will firmly remind him! The sig is up to date and we've got until Wednesday next until we finish Feb.

I've just had the MrM email through and they're doing 15p off per litre of petrol for £60+ spend before 4th March so we've just decided to start a list now and then go to the nearest one next Friday. The voucher can be used up until the 11th and so I'll fill me car up just before then at the MrM near work (I only do it every two-ish weeks) as I filled it last on Monday.

Right gonna eat the last of the pancakes left from Tuesday for my lunch.

See you later,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • yesterday i did a mini stock up of 2 parazone bleachs, 1 bottle of flash £2.64 left to spend until tuesday, i can do this! just need to buy beans for lunch tomorrow, the rest of stuff i already have in doors.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • nannygladysnannygladys Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone

Well first day of new four week period for me and its a NSD :j tonight I am going out but it has been paid for by my DD, not a night out but a bingo night at GD's school, so should be good fun:)

Have put a casserole in the oven, (should have put SC on before I went to work, but I was so tired when I got up - 4.45am I do usually manage it though) and bread maker is on. Really need to cut back this month so decided to use up more cupboard goods, even my coffee I have very sadly weighed out into four equal tubs and its not much, but Im determined not to buy any, but I have found 2 packets of coffee for the perc. so I will using that as well, heres hoping I have a good month:)
    Jxx
    Frugal challenge 2020
    Sealed pot 13 no.31
    Emergency fund 296.76/1000 - slowly increasing!
    NST Sept: No.18 NSD 15/15
  • Linz4383Linz4383 Forumite
    318 posts
    Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    hi just wondered if anyone had a recipe for some GF and WF biscuits, its my DDs dads bday soon and rather than buy him something he doesnt need i thought we could make him something.. only thing is he has sooooo many allergies it needs to b something plain (no chocolate/jam/buttercream etc which is why i though biscuits rather than cakes) preferably something simple as im not really a cook and would like my daughter to b able to help :) thanks guys :)
  • edited 24 February 2012 at 3:44PM
    tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 February 2012 at 3:44PM
    There are two of the recipes that I do in the Recipe Collection. Give me a second and I will go and find them.

My computer has just crashed so I am on my phone and can't link. There is a Peanut Butter biscuit with no flour which is lush, just four ingredients and can be made and cooked in half an hour. Also a ginger biscuit is very scrummy and I do a plain biscuit as well. I'll have a look later when I am up and running again. If they are not there I'll post them up for you.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, if you find a good bargain, can you share?! I've been thinking about cooking my own ham for sandwiches for a while, but I'm absolutely rubbish at cutting with a knife !

will do , havent looked around yet , hoping they're not too expensive