Golden Wedding Anniversary Present!

Options
Its my partners grandparents Golden Wedding anniversary soon and i want to get them a nice present. Am really stuck for ideas though. Anyone got any?? xx

Comments

• hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    My Mum and Dad went to New York and Las vegas for theirs! But I bought a friends' parents two rose bushes and planted them in nice containers. They were called "Golden Wedding". If you go to www.apuldramroses.co.uk
    and search they have one.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• thriftykatie
    Options
    There was another post a few weeks ago with the same query - sure you'll find it if you do a search. I suggested a weekend at Underscar in the Lake District (google it and have a look). My sister and I booked a weekend for our parents for their Golden anniversary and had an amazing time. The hotel is fabulous (without being ostentatious) and isn't horribly expensive. They really looked after my parents too and were very helpful when I was trying to sort out arrangements (cake, presents in room etc). All was then billed to my credit card.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • thriftykatie
    Options
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My friend made a grocery hamper for her grandparents containing 50 items all with gold or golden in the title, such as:

golden shred marmalade
    McVities Gold bars
    golden delicious apples

and so on!

Her grandparents were thrilled with it as it was something totally different to all their other gifts.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • dumpy
    dumpy Posts: 520 Forumite
    Options
    We did my parents 40th(ruby) last year. We went for a weekend away in a LAndmark house so we could take our dog.

What made it special wasn't where we were (although all of us in the same place at the same time is unusual) but what we did.......

I planned the meals and they had a red theme, eg. watermelon and red grapefuit starters, strawberry and redcurrent pavolva. We had mince as one of the main courses as this is a family joke (my brother and I swear we were brought up on mince)

We had red champagne.

We all had red T shirts with a copy of their wedding photo printed on the front. My mum almost died when she saw them. Dad wears his with pride. Ours had "Double top" printed on the back, theirs "40 years of marriage and all I got was this lously T shirt"

We bought red objects that were to do with them, so a red flask as they always take a flask when they travel around. A red umbrella as I live in Wales. A red ball from the dog :-) a book made up from photos from their lives together including relatives and pets, mugs with the wedding picture on and the dates of the anniversary, I did an embroidery (blackwork but in red) with their details on. All wrapped in red paper and in a giant red bag.

They said it was really special as we had obviously put a lot of thought into what to get them and as they still use the items we bought them daily they see them and smile and remember what we did.

I still chuckle at the sight of my mums face when she saw the Tshirts!
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]. :)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure