We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Moths or Washing Machine/Dryer

Options

Comments

• thunderbird
    Options
    Snap. Holes appearing in tshirts close to the hemline.

I thought at first it may be how I hang washing out on the line, but haven't hung washing out since the weather turned cold & it's still happening.

Very bizarre.

I get the same thing! Always on the front of a top towards the bottom. Has really puzzled me.

I will have to open up the machine (if I can work out how to do that) and see if anytihng trapped inside. Still don't understand how it always happens in the same spot though...
  • bellamonkey
    Options
    Thats weird. I get this too. The only thing that I can think it is, where I zip my jeans up, was wondering if I get it caught (although I didn't think I did) or on the buckle of my belt. I too thought it was moths.
  • lindsaygalaxy
    Options
    Ive had the same problem too!
    £2 Savers club £0/£150
    1p a day £/
  • Darlyd
    Darlyd Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    I have had the same problem, mainly in my thin tops. I wore/washed/dried a top from next, these holes appeared, I took it back for a refund, thought no more about it. Then I noticed more of my tops started to have holes in, like I said mainly my thin tops. Gutted I am. I certainly do not have moths, my tops go in my vacume bag due to overload in my drawers. Must be my washer, only thing I can think of. Mind you something in there is rattling about. Think DH needs to have a looksy.
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had this problem ongoing for a while, mainly in cotton tops and t shirts and some of them after a first time wash.

I came across these sites which (maybe) shed some light on the possible causes.

http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/holes-in-washing-laundry/#comment-8552

http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/forums/topic/541-small-holes-in-clothes-after-wash/
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,201 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MIL also has this exact same problem
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • TeaForOne
    TeaForOne Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Snap. Holes appearing in tshirts close to the hemline.

I thought at first it may be how I hang washing out on the line, but haven't hung washing out since the weather turned cold & it's still happening.

Very bizarre.

I get this and I'm absolutely sure it's friction holes from denim. Only happens with tops I wear with jeans - work tops are mysteriously hole free. I'm trying not to lean on the edge of the work surface etc. but think it's more likely to be when I fasten a jacket over the top.
  • Armchair23
    Armchair23 Posts: 648 Forumite
    Options
    Well I know we've got moths, I love seeing the little *uggers stuck to a pheromone moth trap ( sorry but I do ). But if it was moth damage I'd expect jumpers to be suffering badly and it's mainly thin cotton stuff.

But I really don't think they're causing the damage. I have a Miele ( I know expensive but a 10 year guarantee) and really hope that's not the cause of the problems.

I'm definitely going to start doing up zips and turning clothes inside out. So as much as possible buttons and fasteners are are not rubbing against everything else.

I don't use Biological powders so there are only so many things left that I can do to stop this happening. What a pain...
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My theories - something small stuck inside the drum - a nail or pin?

Biological washing powder definitely causes holes. I experimented on old T-shirts which are cut up for cleaning cloths when I had this problem myself.
  • Armchair23
    Armchair23 Posts: 648 Forumite
    Options
    Oh well it's a Monday evening and I've nothing better to do. Head in the drum and torch and a magnifying glass it is !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport