edited 22 January 2013 at 12:40AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Thanks all
Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr

Comments

• j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think moth larvae only affects woollen garments, so probably not moths.

Just a thought, but some fabrics, especially natural fibres like wool and silk, (possibly cotton, too?) don't like biological detergent. I've lost count of the number of woollen garments I had go into holes before I realised it was the enzymes in the biological washing powder that was causing the problem!
  • Armchair23
    Options
    Sorry can't help with 'is it moths or is it the washing/drying'. But we are having exactly the same problems.

DD and I have T shirts, and cotton clothes with holes in. We've put moth traps in the wardrobes and yes we've caught moths. But the woolies seem to be OK it's the fine knit cotton that's suffering.

We don't use bio powder and don't tumble everything so are really struggling to work out what exactly the problem is.

I have to admit the sticky moth traps get to be compulsive viewing !
  • Obukit
    Obukit Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    As a washing machine engineer, those look like holes caused by the washing being forced through the holes in the drum and catching.

1. Normally caused by overloading your machine. You should be able to do a "thumbs up" sign on top of your washing.

2. Incorrect cycle, although it sounds like you are using a slow spin speed/gentle wash.

3. Something stuck between the inner/outer drum, e.g. bra wire - carefully hold your hand against the drum and rotate it to see if you can feel anything sharp. If you can't feel anything, have a look inside - ideally put a very bright light under the machine, which will light up the drum through the plastic. If you don't have one, use a torch from the inside.

4. Bearings going - usually makes a rumbling noise on spin.
  • Armchair23
    Options
    Thanks Obukit, but we wash everything on it's wash setting or less, if you know what I mean.
    I'm using a 3 year old Miele and would really hate to think that's the issue.
  • thegirlintheattic
    Options
    Obukit wrote: »
    As a washing machine engineer, those look like holes caused by the washing being forced through the holes in the drum and catching.

1. Normally caused by overloading your machine. You should be able to do a "thumbs up" sign on top of your washing.

2. Incorrect cycle, although it sounds like you are using a slow spin speed/gentle wash.

3. Something stuck between the inner/outer drum, e.g. bra wire - carefully hold your hand against the drum and rotate it to see if you can feel anything sharp. If you can't feel anything, have a look inside - ideally put a very bright light under the machine, which will light up the drum through the plastic. If you don't have one, use a torch from the inside.

4. Bearings going - usually makes a rumbling noise on spin.

Thanks, I'll get the OH to check the washing machine. We did have a problem several months ago with things trapped in the machine and had to unscrew some pump to get them out - will get him to check the drum.
  • thegirlintheattic
    Options
    Armchair23 wrote: »
    Sorry can't help with 'is it moths or is it the washing/drying'. But we are having exactly the same problems.

DD and I have T shirts, and cotton clothes with holes in. We've put moth traps in the wardrobes and yes we've caught moths. But the woolies seem to be OK it's the fine knit cotton that's suffering.

We don't use bio powder and don't tumble everything so are really struggling to work out what exactly the problem is.

I have to admit the sticky moth traps get to be compulsive viewing !

Will have to try to get some moth traps. In my case it's only my clothes!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Armchair23 wrote: »
    Thanks Obukit, but we wash everything on it's wash setting or less, if you know what I mean.
    I'm using a 3 year old Miele and would really hate to think that's the issue.

Im using a miele - tad older then yours and am finding holes in some of my tee shirts as well

I know its not a bra wire nor machine overloading
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    Snap. Holes appearing in tshirts close to the hemline.

I thought at first it may be how I hang washing out on the line, but haven't hung washing out since the weather turned cold & it's still happening.

Very bizarre.
  • thegirlintheattic
    Options
    Seems more common than I thought. We don't hang clothes to dry, nor does there seem to be a pattern over where the holes occur.
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well, I got curious and looked in my Kim and Aggie book :) It suggests the following if small holes have appeared in garments:

Item of clothing may have been trapped in the door seal or caught on other sharp items such as zips and fastenings. It also asks, has bleach been used but I think you've kind of ruled out washing powder causing the holes?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure