Sale of Goods Act - HDNL Failure to Deliver

Options
I ordered a new electric oven from Amazon last Thursday. On Monday I received a phone call from HDNL to confirm that it would be delivered today (25 Jan) between 10 & 2. As both myself and my wife were due to be at work my wife had to swap her shift so that she could be at home. I knew that fitting the oven required a gas pipe to be moved so I also arranged for a local gas technician and qualified electrician to come to my home at 5 today to install the oven.

At 09:58 this morning I was sent an apologetic email from Amazon saying that a problem in HDNL's warehouse meant that the item wouldn't be delivered today. Despite calls to both Amazon and HDNL; who promised me twice during the course of today that I'd receive a call from the "escalation team" to discuss but that never happened, I still don't have a new delivery date.

To cap it off the installation guy now wants £50 because he turned down other work to make my appointment, and this leads me to my question....

Because HDNL gave me a specific date/time and then failed to follow through with that, does the Sales of Goods act give me the relevant ammunition to seek compensation from HDNL for the money that I now will have to pay for the installation that never was? I can't see me getting anything just for the "inconvenience" of todays events, and it has been an inconvenience not least to my wife who now has to work on Sunday(!!), but the installation payment is a direct financial loss that I will incur as a result of their failure to deliver the item on the date/time promised.

Grateful for any advice?

Comments

• copa_feela
    Options
    You have no contract with HDNL. Any complaint needs to be addressed with Amazon.
  • LoidPhil
    Options
    Amazon backheeled me saying that it was HDNL's fault and that I'd need to resolve my dispute with them. If I get nowhere with HDNL tomorrow, and I'll be on the phone to them bang on 8 (almost feel sorry for the person taking the call - though I never vent my anger with individuals on the phone as it's generally not their fault, though not pleased about the call backs that never materialised), then I'll pursue it further with Amazon.
  • copa_feela
    Options
    Concentrate on HDNL for arranging a delivery, but they are not going to give you any "compensation". If you feel you are entitled, that is between you and Amazon.
  • jimd-f
    jimd-f Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    refer to this page for all you need to know
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/delivery-rights?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=clicks&utm_campaign=resourcebar

hit them for extra time off and for other costs.
  • hit them for extra time off and for other costs.

Yes and let other buyers pay for your time off, hasn't car insurance taught you anything about the real cost of 'compensation'. If the failed delivery resulted in a direct loss (i.e the installation having to be rearranged) I would push Amazon for a part refund as a good will gesture.

After speaking with Amazon they send an email asking if your issue was resolved, hit no and get them to call you back and it should be a UK/Irish call centre who are usually better at things outside the usual remit.

If you have no joy try emailing:
    [EMAIL="cnorth@amazon.com"]cnorth@amazon.com[/EMAIL]
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jimd-f wrote: »
    refer to this page for all you need to know
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/delivery-rights?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=clicks&utm_campaign=resourcebar

hit them for extra time off and for other costs.

The key point of that article being that you have to try and minimise your loss. So you can't claim for extra time off if it isn't necessarily required. You would only be able to do so if you offered reasonable times the item can be delivered (ie Saturday, Sunday or evenings perhaps) and the retailer was unable to comply.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LoidPhil wrote: »
    I ordered a new electric oven from Amazon last Thursday. On Monday I received a phone call from HDNL to confirm that it would be delivered today (25 Jan) between 10 & 2. As both myself and my wife were due to be at work my wife had to swap her shift so that she could be at home. I knew that fitting the oven required a gas pipe to be moved so I also arranged for a local gas technician and qualified electrician to come to my home at 5 today to install the oven.

At 09:58 this morning I was sent an apologetic email from Amazon saying that a problem in HDNL's warehouse meant that the item wouldn't be delivered today. Despite calls to both Amazon and HDNL; who promised me twice during the course of today that I'd receive a call from the "escalation team" to discuss but that never happened, I still don't have a new delivery date.

To cap it off the installation guy now wants £50 because he turned down other work to make my appointment, and this leads me to my question....

Because HDNL gave me a specific date/time and then failed to follow through with that, does the Sales of Goods act give me the relevant ammunition to seek compensation from HDNL for the money that I now will have to pay for the installation that never was? I can't see me getting anything just for the "inconvenience" of todays events, and it has been an inconvenience not least to my wife who now has to work on Sunday(!!), but the installation payment is a direct financial loss that I will incur as a result of their failure to deliver the item on the date/time promised.

Grateful for any advice?

choosing to organise fitters etc was your call
    the oven could have been wrong,faulty etc
    personally I would never organise those sort of services until the item is in my hand and checked to the best of my abilities.

as for the failed delivery. it happens
    with the best delivery service in the world,you still have human,mechanical failures and issues outwith your control.
    delivery services with consequential loss are a premium product
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport