Where to stay in north wales or the lake district?

Options
First holiday in years and I have zero idea where to go.

I have a friend coming over from the US, so have decided to go off for a week, no car though so much have easy access via public transport.

Not looking to go hugely away from home (Liverpool) as my mum is disabled and I'll need to get back should anything happen.

So I thought maybe north Wales or the lakes?

Can anyone suggest any towns, locations places to stay in those areas? That are easy to get to via public transport?

Thanks in advance.
Sigless

Comments

• ellay864
    ellay864 Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would've thought N Wales would be easier if doing by public transport but never stayed in either without a car so can't recommend d anywhere in particular but would probably aim for Conway or Llandudno. Have you considered hiring a car and doing a variety of days out? You could visit both areas and maybe also Chester area too. Lots of possibilities for day trips that way
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ellay864 wrote: »
    I would've thought N Wales would be easier if doing by public transport but never stayed in either without a car so can't recommend d anywhere in particular but would probably aim for Conway or Llandudno. Have you considered hiring a car and doing a variety of days out? You could visit both areas and maybe also Chester area too. Lots of possibilities for day trips that way

Thanks, sadly I can't drive so the car hire is out.

Will check out those areas, thank you.
    Sigless
  • OneYorkshireLass
    Options
    this website might help for north wales http://www.traveline-cymru.info/ you can 'plan your journey' on public transport.
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you can get the train to had a wrist watch (aberystwyth) you can get the steam train to devils bridge (in season?)of course the post office used to do bus type transport round here too that sounded fantastic but i prefer to go by car and get lost in the hills and then read the paper in the solitude whilst the wife reads a good book ,warmer weather mind
    we stayed a night at the hotel there and it was so brilliant being able to see every star in the universe because the place has no street lighting to talk of
    breakfast was brilliant servive at its best
    good prices
    there was a bit of a presence in the room overlooking the falls that helped too but wife says they follow me because we have a residual ghosty here at sb towers too:D

it all comes down to money of course but you cant beat a train journey on unknown lines,i love it

you cant beat mid ish wales
    i love it
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Llandudno is a Victorian seaside resort which has been pretty well-preserved by the landowners (Mostyn Estates) Train to llandudno Junction and then change for llandudno (there are some direct ones too drop you right in the middle of the town) loads of hotels 4 star to B&B etc. Swimming pool, great theatre, nice restaurants, the great ormes brilliant for a day out tram or cable car to the top, bus around the marine drive, dry ski slope, two golf courses, two beaches (one shingle one sand), a pier - public transport pretty good. You can get buses to Conwy (walled town with a castle and pretty quay), Bangor the University town or Rhyl if you want a bit of Welsh Blackpool. The valley railway line takes you down to Betws -y-coed (walking, forest, mountain biking lovely touristy town) There are also buses down that way and also out to Snowdonia (proper walking or train to the top of Snowdon) - God's own country. Croeso y Cymru.
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • eddi
    eddi Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    I think North Wales would be much easier to get to. I've just done a few random searches on getting to e.g. Windermere in the Lakes from Liverpool and it seems like you have to change at least once, and mostly twice to get there either on the coach or train and neither was especially cheap.
    (I'm sure anyone who has actually done it will put me right if I'm talking claptrap)

I picked a random week at the end of March and the difference in the off-peak return train fares was about £12 cheaper per person to get to Bangor for instance than to the lakes. Bangor seems to be fairly central to get the bus out and about. Or Llandudno has been mentioned previously and it is a lovely old town. I'm sure you'd have no trouble finding somewhere nice to stay in that region :)

Beddgelert is really pretty to visit. And you could get the bus to Llanberis so depending on when your holiday is you could go up/part way up Mount Snowdon on the mountain railway which is fabulous.

Once you've decided on a base Tripadvisor might help you find nice places to stay for all types of budget.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    When are you thinking of going and what sort of place are you looking for ?
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not a massive fan of the North Wales coast. Rather grey, plus it's costa caravan. Conwy is the least worst place. If you get decent weather (and that's a big if) the Lake District is much more attractive.
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We'll be going around the second week in feb.

Has anyone been to llangollen? Seem a lovely self catering cottage there but no idea of the area.

Decided to try and get some form of transport down there, I know you can hire vans/cars to take you to the airport and pick you up o am hoping to try and find something along those lines. But will defo be coming back via public transport.
    Sigless
  • craftygran
    Options
    Langollen is lovely, we went last year. Its a small place so not a lot to do, but you can cruise on the canel over the viaduct. Conway and Llandudno are also really nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure