Southern Water Debt - UK Search Limited - legs to stand on?

Options
Wondering if anyone can help.

I went to share a rented a 2 bedroom apartment for a few months in 2009, together with what seemed to be a decent fellow based on interview, but turned out to be a non-trustworthy and unstable character.

We agreed that I would pay Gas, Electricity and Council Tax, and he would pay Virgin Media and Water, and at regular intervals we would settle up the difference.

I logged each bill transaction in an Excel sheet which I still have. My payments come to over £700 and each one can be reflected in my old bank statements. His bills came to about £350 but from patchy memory I asked him for cash at regular intervals which he did give me, and by the end we were even.

Now, 3 years later I am being chased for an unpaid (entire) water bill which matches the exact amount on my personal spreadsheet that he was supposed to pay, but obviously didn't. Unfortunately both our names are on the bill and UK Search Limited have found me at my parents address. I did call them but I said I'd never lived there (denied everything at first to suss out the situation).

The problem is that this character has gone back to his homeland of Greece, and dissapeared from email, Facebook etc and I don't have any contact details for him.

By providing UK Search Limited with this information do I have any case that I am not responsible for the amount outstanding?

Grrrrrrr

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    If your name is on the bill, you are liable!

Actually both of you are 'jointly and severally' liable, so they can come after either of you.

They also won't get involved in 'third party disputes' even if they could find him! Doubtless he would say that he gave you the money!!

The only thing you can do in cases like this, is to sue him in the Small Claims Court - but that appears unlikely to happen.

You can try and make an offer in full and final payment, but I suspect that won't work and you need to be aware that these situations can reflect on your credit record.
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    You are responsible as the bill was also in your name and you used the supply..the rest is a third party dispute and NOTHING at all to do with the water company.
    They don't care what your sheet says and why should they ? It proves nothing.
    Your only option as far as I can see it is to pay the bill and then case the other tenant yourself
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • BackOnTrack
    Options
    If your name is on the bill you will be liable for the entire debt. The company chasing you won't care about whatever information you have or any arrangements you made with this other guy they just want the debt settled. If you have the money you would probably best just to pay up, they won't be interested in you just paying 50% of the bill either.
    There's no sense crying over every mistake.
    You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As they say, beware Greeks bearing (apparent) gifts...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport