txt from dwp

Options
13»

Comments

• Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    Once you become aware of an official error, you cannot treat money subsequently paid as yours.

Opening another bank account - with interest - and paying it in is the safest course of action.

Alsternatively, you could ask for a breakdown of where it comes from - you may have missed something you're entitled to!

We have asked to be sent a breakdown. My hubby spoke to them and I got in a panic so the guy spoke to me and was adamant it was correct. I simply cannot see how it is.

While its documented SOME official errors causing overpayments may not have to be paid back, I do not want this continuing.

I have the money aside, I refuse to touch a single penny until I am 100 percent sure it's not an overpayment.

Even if we contact them again when we get the breakdown showing overpayment, and they again stipulate the award is correct, I still won't touch it.

I am unsure what's happened, we have had two payments, last time for the sixty odd more, this time the amount is about £80 odd a fortnight more.

I cannot see it being anything to do with ESA as I have not heard anything - the whole thing is worrying though Roger!
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • Chrissiew
    Chrissiew Posts: 374 Forumite
    Options
    I was told everything was in order then my payment went in on tues (yesterday) and it was £140 instead of £210 I rang them and they said they had stopped £70 for the overpayment! Thats a fiver more than they should but I wasn't going to argue about it and just hope it's back to normal next time.

They seem to have lost it at our local office and don't seem to know what's going on, could be overworked or overwhelmed or both
    not all on benefits are scroungers and don't need to be bullied!
  • Anubis_2
    Options
    Thanks Chrissie. I don't care how they take it as long as they don't continue to overpay - that's what bothers me. Guess I will wait for the breakdown then wait for the next payment and take it from there.

I will be documenting our communication with them though so its shown we advised them x number of times in x number of ways. I only have one bank account as we have no savings etc, and don't really want to open another.
  • Anubis_2
    Options
    Well no breakdown has come. He said he had put it through requesting a breakdown letter while I was on the phone. I guess it's now a case of a recorded letter, I can't see any other way forward.

Does anyone know the best address to send it?
  • Anubis_2
    Options
    :TFinally....finally.....finally.... They have realised their mistake!

I have just checked my bank and they have reduced it :T

Strange thing is they have allowed a week to go through overpaid and just deducted one week of carers premium exactly to the penny on the fortnightly payment.

They haven't asked for any back either, or wrote back. I am presuming then they are not going to claim it back?
  • tomqkat
    Options
    My wife received a disturbing text message yesterday from the DWP,claiming she has completed a loan application with them despite the fact that the loan suggested is only available to people claiming benefit,my wife teaches fulltime and has never applied for a loan.Where did they get her Private phone details and what is the DWP connection to this enterprise?I have emailed and my wife has called them to get to the bottom of this,anyone else received similar texts,unsolicited could you post here please.
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 908 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That sounds like they have the wrong phone number for the claimant and have text your wife in error.

Its easily done

elmer
  • Adereterial
    Options
    Suspect the answer is as simple as a wrong phone number - the text should have no personalised info on it so other than informing dwp they have incorrect details, there's nothing you need to worry about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure