WARNING TO ALL (facebook)

Comments

• grannybiker
    grannybiker Posts: 12,128 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This is pretty scary, but oh so easily avoided if only these companies abided by the guidelines & DIDN'T announce winners on their pages!
    I used this search & discovered Mr GB had won a prize a couple of months ago. They said that in line with their T&Cs winners had 14 days to contact them.
    He sent them an email with his details and a link to Facebook promotion guidelines, saying he was gutted to have missed out, particularly as their policy of not following the guidelines led to it!
    They replied saying that was the way most companies did their comps, so they did too- but sent him a goody bag anyhow :)
    Perhaps we all need to start emailling companies who aren't following the guidelines? (There seem to be less vote comps now.. or do they simply pass me by?)
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
  • blackmidnight
    blackmidnight Posts: 13,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    really really wish my name wasn't so common! Tried searching and it comes up with 1000s of results :( I know of at least one comp where someone with the same name as me entered so it they just post "Well done *name*" then either me or that person could email in quite legitimely so that's another reason just announcing the winner's name on their page doesn't always work! My name is showing as a winner on one of the Phones4u facebook comps (i know they used a log in thing so doens't matter as it obviosuly wasn't me that won) but with nearly 400,000 'likes' i'm sure there are at least a few people with the same name. if they have just posted asking people to contact them i'm sure there'd have been lots of people emailing pretending to be someone for such a big prize!

If anyone does ever see my name as winning a facebook comp please tag me so that I know as I hardly ever have time to check (or just forget... :rotfl:) :D
    2008: £783.12 - 2009: £6,401.15 - 2010: £4,230.61 - 2011: £8720 - 2012: £2,041.89
    2013: £134.96
  • dontknow1
    dontknow1 Posts: 1,166 Forumite
    thanks di very useful
    Thank you to all the posters and the forum guides for all your hard work it is appreciated ...

Jan starting off as the year will pan out ...nothing lol
  • white_star
    white_star Posts: 5,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    really really wish my name wasn't so common! Tried searching and it comes up with 1000s of results :( I know of at least one comp where someone with the same name as me entered so it they just post "Well done *name*" then either me or that person could email in quite legitimely so that's another reason just announcing the winner's name on their page doesn't always work! My name is showing as a winner on one of the Phones4u facebook comps (i know they used a log in thing so doens't matter as it obviosuly wasn't me that won) but with nearly 400,000 'likes' i'm sure there are at least a few people with the same name. if they have just posted asking people to contact them i'm sure there'd have been lots of people emailing pretending to be someone for such a big prize!

If anyone does ever see my name as winning a facebook comp please tag me so that I know as I hardly ever have time to check (or just forget... :rotfl:) :D

I have exactly the same problem, so I have just added my middle name to my fb account, not sure if it will make a difference though. Also there is another comper with same name & town so even more tricky, but am finding fb and twitter too hard to keep up with for an old bid like me. :rotfl:
  • Enigmatic_Me
    Enigmatic_Me Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Unbelievable that this is happening. Funny though as a good few weeks ago I won one of the Woman's Own comps and was asked to email to claim my prize.

Now I work all day so do not have access to "full facebook" I do however use Igoogle and have downloaded a facebook app so I can kind of keep a track on FB wall. Luckily I saw the announcement and emailed pretty quick. I did think at the time though, what was to stop someone pretending to be me.

Now I have my actual name in my email address but how many people have an email address made up of something else?
    The best things in life are free.....
  • Chopstheduck
    Chopstheduck Posts: 1,284 Forumite

Now I have my actual name in my email address but how many people have an email address made up of something else?

Having set up comping email accounts for the whole family, it has occurred to me how easy it would be simply to set up a gmail account in the winners name to make a claim. It's silly how easy it would be.

Thanks OP for the link, very handy! Thankfully I have a very unusual name, so it is fairly easy for me to be able to search. It did used to be possible to search on facebook, but then it stopped bring back results for some reason :undecided
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yesterday I got an email from Twitter about winning an electric guitar :j It came to my Twitter email address, which is different by two digits from my comping address. I found them and used their contact form. Without thinking I used my comping email address. After some friendly emailing, in which I sent them my address to send my prize to, I thought how easy it would've been for someone to have read the winning announcement on their Twitter page, set up a similar hotmail address and tell them to send the prize to them instead. Ok, it started with my getting an email, but clearly they didn't check that the email I used was the same one.

With this happening in FB and Twitter, I wonder what the legal position is. For my comp, the T&C state I had 30 days to claim. So what if I'd not checked emails for a few days and they had sent the prize to the wrong person?

My guess is that when this makes the news and companies learn that they might have to shell out twice if they send to the wrong person, they'll address these security issues. And if anyone deliberately claims someone else's prize, they should be prosecuted for attempted/theft.
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • [. And if anyone deliberately claims someone else's prize, they should be prosecuted for attempted/theft.[/QUOTE]

I agree. This is either fraud or theft and it may only be one or two people doing this. The companies must have the address that they send the prizes to so they shold report it to the police who should be able to trace the fraudsters. I know the police are busy but it may highlight a particular address.
  • dontknow1
    dontknow1 Posts: 1,166 Forumite
    one of the ones yesterday has been reported by the company and i believe the comper, hopefully more companies will take this line of action to deter copycats as currently I am led to believe there are 2 people doing it.
    Thank you to all the posters and the forum guides for all your hard work it is appreciated ...

Jan starting off as the year will pan out ...nothing lol
  • jujugaboo
    jujugaboo Posts: 4,246 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    white*star wrote: »
    I have exactly the same problem, so I have just added my middle name to my fb account, not sure if it will make a difference though. Also there is another comper with same name & town so even more tricky, but am finding fb and twitter too hard to keep up with for an old bid like me. :rotfl:

Me too, my name is somebody famous so I just get her coming up all the time, i think i need to add a middle name to my FB account to so I can find a better search on wins. :)
    BEST WIN LAST YEAR - MULBERRY HANDBAG
    SENDING STICKY VIBES TO THOSE WHO NEED THEM :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure