Comments

• jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Al_Mac wrote:
    What's VOIP, forgive my ignorance.

:o

Don't worry. You aren't the only one in the dark! ;)
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote:
    There's a voip discussion on the back of home phones. To be honest i think it is part of home telephony and don't think it needs its own forum :(

I agree with Martin, only two people have actually posted that its a good idea despite this thread being on the Telephone Boards for a bit. Having read some of the threads regarding Voip I think for the less techie users (like myself!) it all sounds too complicated and although I know you can by a cordless phone to use that is more expense when I have a house full of phones :D
  • Phonix
    Phonix Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having read some of the threads regarding Voip I think for the less techie users (like myself!) it all sounds too complicated and although I know you can by a cordless phone to use that is more expense when I have a house full of phones

Yes and that's the problem - the main reason why another forum should be created.

VoIP is a very diverse but most importantly growing industry. Given this,the difficulty in making sense of technical terms used and the trouble people are likely to encounter, it makes sense to dedicate some MSE support directly toward these users. As the main avenue of support offered by MSE is the forum, it therefore would make sense to create an extra forum to meet this need.

My only concern is that the timing may be too early.

It's actually harder to argue for a POTS forum than a VoIP forum on these grounds, so when the above is considered a VoIP is shown to need more support than POTS.

Imo consumer pitfalls are more likely in growing markets, the market is growing so the support should grow with it and MSE can do its bit. Support needed for VoIP will probably be immense while the industry is likely to remain poorly regulated. All this is a recipe for huge support needs and it would do MSE good to get on the bandwagon early.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure