Savings when buying/selling houses

We saved £300 by asking our estate agent to drop their fee when they sold our house. Without reading MSE, I wouldn't have even crossed my mind to ask them to drop their fee. As second-time-buyers (so first-time-sellers, if you see what I mean), the thread on selling houses was really useful.

I don't know exactly how much we've saved by shopping around for buildings/contents insurance but we've just managed to insure our 3-bed detached house for less than we paid for buildings/contents insurance on our old 2-bed semi. Bargain! Back when we were naive first time buyers, we bought insurance from our mortgage provider. :eek: Not any more!

Comments

• Can you provide a link to "the thread on selling houses" please?
  • I don't know exactly how much we've saved by shopping around for buildings/contents insurance but we've just managed to insure our 3-bed detached house for less than we paid for buildings/contents insurance on our old 2-bed semi. Bargain! Back when we were naive first time buyers, we bought insurance from our mortgage provider. :eek: Not any more!

Nice one.
    Although, of cource, the cheapest policy isn't always the best.
    How do you know the cheaper policy will pay out in event of a claim?
    Conversely, you may be getting a better policy for less money!
    It's a bit of a jungle out there . . . .
  • System
    System Posts: 178,086 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    phil7445 wrote:
    Can you provide a link to "the thread on selling houses" please?
    Phil check this section of the main board out and also this section of the forum. I hope it helps.
  • phil7445
    phil7445 Posts: 483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Judi.
  • we managed to get first refusal on a property this year before it was going yup for sale so managed to save a lot of estate agents fees and cuts.....but lots and lots need doing to the house, if any one enjoys decorating your more than welcome to come visit:rotfl:
    now proud mum to 3 handsome boys :j latest one born 10/10/11:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport