We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is Slimming World worth the money?

Options
Well with it being MSE i thought i best find out whether it is actually worth the money or not!

I can't get to a local group so was looking at the online option but it mentioned £60 for 3 months (which to me is a lot of money!)

I know a lot of people have lost weight following the "Syn's" etc but is it really worth the £60 or is there a cheaper way around it?

Thanks!

Comments

• soon2bjobless
    Options
    I just joined on-line last week as there are no classes near me - I downloaded all the gubbins and saved them to my computer so I can print them out again if I need them. I am currently making up a list of all my fave recipes and transferring them into a Word document and finding out on-line syns of what I eat most.

I have ordered 2 books (small pocket style for Synned branded foods and free foods) - they are £1.95 on the website but selling for silly money on ebay.

So I wont be renewing after 3 months but hopefully will have all the information I need to continue as I have a lot of weight to lose and refused to pay huge amount to do it!

I know once I get into the swing of things it will be fine. And there is always help on the Slimming world thread here.....
    Kondo'ed 76 items from wardrobe, 4 carrier bags of books
  • Ziggazee
    Ziggazee Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    I've just rejoined Slimming World after quite some time. I've been a member before and I've also tried doing it alone at home. I've definitely lost more weight and had more motivation when I've been going to group. In your case, you won't have that group support in any event so I'd say try doing it alone, I certainly wouldn't want to be paying £60 for doing it online.

There is loads of free help online already without actually having to join SW, there is a fab forum (not sure whether I'm allowed to say the name on here, but if you google it you'll be able to find it). Good luck :o)
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    See the thing thats "urgh-ing" me is this: I'm not "fussed" about the weight, but I would like to lose a dress size (I'm not drastically over weight - I had a baby 2 weeks ago and weigh 11 stone 11lb and am a dress size 14. I want to go back to a 12 which is what I was when i met OH)

What I was hoping to do was instead of trekking to a group which is XX miles away and paying £5+ for the weigh in, I wanted to do it at home and stick the money in a pot then use that to buy new clothes!

Did you find the cost of groceries etc went up? ATM I'm spending £200 a month (Me and DD1 eating - DD2 is a boobie monster!)

I've had a look at the 7 day menu trial on the website and i noticed theres things like CHIPS on there and a full english breakfast . . . very confusing how you lose weight whilst eating all that lol

TY for the replies x
  • annie_d
    annie_d Posts: 933 Forumite
    Options
    Well, it certainly has been for my husband. He has lost 16pounds in his first week's weigh in!
  • Gillyx
    Gillyx Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mimi! :mad: you had a baby 2 weeks ago, you silly moo. If you're breast feeding and eating a healthy diet the weight should come of on it's own! My mum lost all her weight on SW and has kept it off, but I'd say give it a couple of months and see how you feel then.
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £60 for 12 weeks on-line works out about the same as £5 a week for attending classes but you don't have the support of the group. The cheapest way to do it is to go to a group once, have the introductory talk, pick up the books and that will cost you £10. You don't need to go back but would recommend you visit a website/thread for support, ideas, recipes etc. There's a great one on here. If you only want to lose a stone it shouldn't take you long.

The reason you can eat chips, bacon, eggs etc with SW is that no foods are banned and many are perfectly healthy and can be eaten freely depending on how they're cooked.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do hope it is worth it as I am planning on joining tomorrow!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Spirit_2
    Spirit_2 Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am thinking about dieting. What goes on at slimming world?

Sorry for a daft question but I really have no idea.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    It definitely works most people fail at diets because they don't eat enough and their body shuts down into survival mode, and they "forget" they have already had their treats and have more wine, biscuits or whatever than is good for them. I can lose weight on SW because I can eat things I like in reasonable or sometimes huge quantities and even "naughty" stuff is allowed in moderation.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    Gillyx wrote: »
    Mimi! :mad: you had a baby 2 weeks ago, you silly moo. If you're breast feeding and eating a healthy diet the weight should come of on it's own! My mum lost all her weight on SW and has kept it off, but I'd say give it a couple of months and see how you feel then.

Lol Shh xx

I lost baby weight within a week chick but was considering dieting just before I found out I was pregnant so put it off.

Am TRYING to eat healthy ... but failing. Figured it would both encourage me to eat properly and lose weight at same time :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport