Is Slimming World worth the money?

Options
2»

Comments

• belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 January 2012 at 11:41PM
    Options
    TBH I think the system either works or doesn't according to the consultant, and I don't really see the advantage of an online subscription. In a nutshell, eat loads of fruit and veg, limit your bread and pasta and don't eat too much meat and cheese and very little sugar or processed foods. I just saved you £60 :)

The groups are different, if you get a good group and a good consultant it really can help to motivate you. I have to say when I did it my consultant's voice was like nails on a blackboard for me and she didn't have the level of experience either to help me or for me to be able to believe in her. When she was on holidays another woman came in who was really excellent and did somehow take time to listen to people's issues without judging them or lecturing them. I honestly can't say what the difference was, but she made me leave feeling that I could do it, whereas the other one just made me a bit cross :)

Honestly though spend the £60 on good fruit, that's a far better investment.

PS my summary of it is a bit simplistic and there's a whole structure built around slimming world but the basic messages are the same as most healthy eating plans. The only difference is the social support around it.
  • Saturnalia
    Saturnalia Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    Options
    nearlyrich wrote: »
    It definitely works most people fail at diets because they don't eat enough and their body shuts down into survival mode, and they "forget" they have already had their treats and have more wine, biscuits or whatever than is good for them. I can lose weight on SW because I can eat things I like in reasonable or sometimes huge quantities and even "naughty" stuff is allowed in moderation.

Yep I loved SW as you could eat so much on it! That was in the days of red days and green days where red was unlimited meat. I'd tried dieting before and never stuck to it as I'd be permanently hungry. SW was the only one that worked.

Once you have the books and info, then you can keep doing it without needing to pay subs. But definitely do a class or online at first as it is helpful to have advice on how to do it right.
    Public appearances now involve clothing. Sorry, it's part of my bail conditions.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I joined today so I will let you know what I think when I get to grips with it.............
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    See the thing thats "urgh-ing" me is this: I'm not "fussed" about the weight, but I would like to lose a dress size (I'm not drastically over weight - I had a baby 2 weeks ago and weigh 11 stone 11lb and am a dress size 14. I want to go back to a 12 which is what I was when i met OH)

What I was hoping to do was instead of trekking to a group which is XX miles away and paying £5+ for the weigh in, I wanted to do it at home and stick the money in a pot then use that to buy new clothes!

Did you find the cost of groceries etc went up? ATM I'm spending £200 a month (Me and DD1 eating - DD2 is a boobie monster!)

I've had a look at the 7 day menu trial on the website and i noticed theres things like CHIPS on there and a full english breakfast . . . very confusing how you lose weight whilst eating all that lol

TY for the replies x

When I had 2 littlies I was the slimmest I've ever been, because I never stopped running around after them. I was really active.

Maybe that's your answer. 2 weeks after the birth, your body has been stretched and won't have gone back to normal yet. Toning up may be what you need rather than weight loss.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    breastfeeding helps shift weight.

I joined when baby was 2months old as wanted to be slim for his baptism.

I go to class next to daughers school and made a few freinds.

consultant vary some new and over keen some old and set in ways.

you allowed extra healthy extras a and b when breastfeeding.

its vrey much healthy eating

5syns allows few treats
    not too much bread and milk
    I do extra easy do /3 of your plate has to be salad or vegetables with lean meats and fish.
    most stuff cooked from scratch
    low fat muller lites, fruit and alpen lite bars for snacks
    fruit for desserts
    high fibre cereals like weetabix for brekkie.

cut down on booze.
    swtch butter and cheese to light
    oil for fry lite
    spendour /sweetner instead of sugar

do a little more exercise. wii fits a good one get you started and walking.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    So sorry for the delay in replying.

Thank you all for your replies!

I've borrowed a slimming world book from a friend and am considering going to the session near to where she lives (Still a trek for me though!) but then they can explain it properly.

Going to start running again soon - Really enjoyed that before I fell pregnant.

Again - Thank you everyone!
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't forget the Slimming World mags which you can buy anywhere now. They're about £3 and packed with recipes and advice. They also have sections with a weeks menus and, since I have some old mags, I might just try this myself. I am not in the right frame of mind to go to a club at the moment and maybe this will start me off again.

I do agree SO much with Belfastgirl. The Consultant is essential to your success. My last one was not inspiring and allowed a small core of very negative women to spread their negativity around the group. I got so I was dreading going to group and hear all that moaning and that's not right is it, if you're paying out good money.:(

We also had another Consultant in when ours went on holiday and she was truly like a breath of fresh air and I went home buzzing that night. I notice from the SW site that this "inspiring" lady runs a class a bit further away so I may even take myself off there when I'm ready.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was not very motivated my the meeting I went to and I have found it hard to stick to the diet. There is a great selection of unlimited food however I am a chocolate fan and am struggling to cut that out :o
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rummer wrote: »
    I was not very motivated my the meeting I went to and I have found it hard to stick to the diet. There is a great selection of unlimited food however I am a chocolate fan and am struggling to cut that out :o

Do you know what Rummer? If I went again and found it not to my liking I'd say something after the group to the consultant. Could you do that?

What's the point in paying out money to go to a group and find out early on that it doesn't feel right? I also think any Consultant worth their salt would take on board your comments and see what could be done about it. After all, they are earning money off you and the longer you stay the more they earn!

Chocolate doesn't bother me but it did my friend (who I used to go with) and rather than cutting it out she was happier just having something and using her Syns on it. Also have you tried those Options drinks ... they are very low Syn and give you a chocolate hit.;)
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Lol Shh xx

I lost baby weight within a week chick but was considering dieting just before I found out I was pregnant so put it off.

Am TRYING to eat healthy ... but failing. Figured it would both encourage me to eat properly and lose weight at same time :-)

Why not invest in some proper running shoes and one of those 3 wheeler pushchairs that have supports for using from birth? I'm sure that would be far more useful for a) keeping you away from snacks b) keeping you active and in the fresh air and daylight c) getting babe fresh air d) firming up anything that might be a little less firm than you would prefer?

You need energy for looking after babies, whether you BF or not. This isn't the time to be restricting food as much as getting moving again now you aren't lugging around baby and all.

Swimming is an alternative, and some pools have a creche so you can get a proper swim in, rather than just standing there with the children - or the OH can step up and give you some time to yourself. You can't put food in your mouth when you're at the pool, either, which I am sure is one of the reasons it is so successful for weightloss/slimming :)

But congratulations!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family