PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help for a Chicken Virgin

Options
MoneyQueen
MoneyQueen Posts: 927 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 14 January 2012 at 6:26PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi, I have been a vegetarian for ten years and now switching back to meat. I have never handled or cooked meat in my life as ten years ago I used to stay at home and didn't know how to cook. I learnt cooking when I moved out and then turned vegetarian when I met my BF (DH since seven years) so basically I am a virgin as far as handling and cooking meat is concerned. I have slowly gained weight over the last ten years and now I am doing a low carb high protein diet to gradually loose it. I understand this way may not be a healthy way of doing it but I have made up my mind. I have been on diet for the last few days having tofu, quorn and eggs for protein and I am forever hungry. Therefore the reason to introduce meat again. DH has been vegetarian all his life and definitely will not eat beef due to religious reasons (he is an Indian). So I have thought of starting with chicken and gradually introducing lamb later on. I used to hate fish as I couldn't stand the smell but I am willing to giving it a go again.

I have got a whole free range chicken (1.6 kilos) from the supermarket today but am lost after that. It would immensely help if I could pointers regarding the following questions

1. Do you wash chicken before cooking it? - I have read conflicting reports as some think, washing it in the kitchen sink can lead to cross contamination. If you do, do you wash it again after cutting?
2. I have seen videos on You Tube to cut a whole chicken so I will be trying that. I will roast a thigh and a drumstick each for us tomorrow for lunch(using Tandoori marinade. Will this be too much for us?). How do I store the raw breast meat that I am not using tomorrow?
3. I am not supposed to eat skin or wings because of the diet, what do I do with them. - Should I just bin them? - Sounds wasteful.
4. I will be investing in a meat thermometer next week but how would I know if the chicken is cooked when I roast it tomorrow?
5. I am thinking of using the bones for stock for making soup later. Will bones of one chicken be enough?
6. Where do you buy organic chicken from. I saw chicken breasts in Tesco last night but there were so expensive :eek:

Thanks
MQ

Comments

• CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    1) Personally I wouldn't wash it - I tend to end up splashing the water around too much, which can then contaminate everything else. I'm not sure what the point of washing it actually is, tbh - hopefully someone else can enlighten me, too. :)

2) Tandoori marinade sounds good to me - I'm not sure from your post if your BF has ever eaten chicken but, if not, the spiciness might help as that at least will taste familiar. You can store the leftover raw meat in the fridge, wrapped in clingfilm or in an air-tight tub, or freeze it to use another day.

3) I would cook the meat with the skin on and peel it off before eating - it helps stop the chicken drying out during cooking. If you make a couple of slashes on each piece of meat before adding the marinade the flavour will go into the meat so you don't lose all the spice when you peel the skin off. The best use for chicken wings, imo, is for making stock: you can add these when you boil up the carcass for extra flavour.

4) You need to stick a sharp knife in the meat, close to the bone - if the juice runs clear it's cooked, if it's still pink then it's not and needs a bit longer. (The tandoori paste might make this a bit hard to tell, so catch some of the juice in a spoon if you need a closer look.)

5) I've made stock with the bones of one chicken before - you don't end up with a lot of stock, but there's enough to make it worthwhile. If you don't fancy it, just put the carcass, well wrapped, in the freezer until you get another one.

6) Organic chicken is expensive, and breasts are particularly so. I tend to get mine either from my veg box company, which often has them on special offer, or pick them up when they've been reduced to clear in the supermarket - if you get your timing right you can get them for less than 'normal', factory farmed chicken. :money:

I hope all that helps, and that you both enjoy your chicken. :)
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MoneyQueen wrote: »
    1. Do you wash chicken before cooking it? - I have read conflicting reports as some think, washing it in the kitchen sink can lead to cross contamination. If you do, do you wash it again after cutting?
    I wouldn't....
    2. I have seen videos on You Tube to cut a whole chicken so I will be trying that. I will roast a thigh and a drumstick each for us tomorrow for lunch(using Tandoori marinade. Will this be too much for us?). How do I store the raw breast meat that I am not using tomorrow?
    Way too much meat. You only need a very small amount each especially if you aren't used to eating chicken. Just enough to taste will do. Only supposed to be the same size as a pack of cards. I'd cook the whole lot at once and store the cooked meat in the freezer.
    3. I am not supposed to eat skin or wings because of the diet, what do I do with them. - Should I just bin them? - Sounds wasteful.
    I wouldn't bother separating bits of chicken. Yes cook it in skin and don't eat the skin but wings...nothing wrong with them. It's all chicken meat.
    4. I will be investing in a meat thermometer next week but how would I know if the chicken is cooked when I roast it tomorrow?
    I've never used a meat thermometer. Take it out of oven and stab it if juices run clear it's OK. It can be returned to oven if after cutting it up it still looks pink.
    5. I am thinking of using the bones for stock for making soup later. Will bones of one chicken be enough?
    Yes more than enough.
    6. Where do you buy organic chicken from. I saw chicken breasts in Tesco last night but there were so expensive :eek:
    Organic chicken is very expensive. I just go for barn raised...so much cheaper. Your choice though. Read the nutritional information and make sure it's not water injected. It'll appear to be low in calories per 100g if it is.

Thanks
    MQ
    There are plenty sources of protein without eating meat. Whole grains, beans, lentils, soya, nuts....lots more....
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    I'm not an expert and others with better knowledge will be along soon but a coulple of thoughts from me

1. Do you wash chicken before cooking it? - I have read conflicting reports as some think, washing it in the kitchen sink can lead to cross contamination. Yes I always wash before using - rinse the inside especially well - and then pat dry with a bit of kitchen towel
    - the kitchen sink is always cleaned before I do it - and again afterwards with antibacterial spray (and the taps etc in case of any splashes)
    If you do, do you wash it again after cutting? Rarely do this as tend to cook it whole but it would depend on whether it looks like it needs a rinse
    I also find a lot of wastage doing it this way - if you cook the whole chicken you can pick the carcass and get a lot of meat off it which is difficult to get at / cook if you're cutting up the bird
    2. I have seen videos on You Tube to cut a whole chicken so I will be trying that. I will roast a thigh and a drumstick each for us tomorrow for lunch(using Tandoori marinade. Will this be too much for us?). How do I store the raw breast meat that I am not using tomorrow? Are you having as a mail meal? Do you mean the leg? If so, that should be plenty for a meal. What are you going to do with the rest of the meat?
    3. I am not supposed to eat skin or wings because of the diet, what do I do with them. - Should I just bin them? - Sounds wasteful.Keep them to make stock with
    4. I will be investing in a meat thermometer next week but how would I know if the chicken is cooked when I roast it tomorrow? Packaging should have instructions on how to cook for the whole chicken - if cutting up and cooking bits they will take a lot less time (not sure how long as I've mentioned I rarely do this).
    5. I am thinking of using the bones for stock for making soup later. Will bones of one chicken be enough? Ohhhh yes:D But you'll have a lot of wasted meat if you cut up rather than cooking the whole bird
    6. Where do you buy organic chicken from. I saw chicken breasts in Tesco last night but there were so expensive :eek:Local butcher but unlikely to be any cheaper. Did you look at free range ones?

HTH for now
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I have been a vegetarian for ten years and now switching back to meat. I have never handled or cooked meat in my life as ten years ago I used to stay at home and didn't know how to cook. I learnt cooking when I moved out and then turned vegetarian when I met my BF (DH since seven years) so basically I am a virgin as far as handling and cooking meat is concerned. I have slowly gained weight over the last ten years and now I am doing a low carb high protein diet to gradually loose it. I understand this way may not be a healthy way of doing it but I have made up my mind. I have been on diet for the last few days having tofu, quorn and eggs for protein and I am forever hungry. Therefore the reason to introduce meat again. DH has been vegetarian all his life and definitely will not eat beef due to religious reasons (he is an Indian). So I have thought of starting with chicken and gradually introducing lamb later on. I used to hate fish as I couldn't stand the smell but I am willing to giving it a go again.

I have got a whole free range chicken (1.6 kilos) from the supermarket today but am lost after that. It would immensely help if I could pointers regarding the following questions

1. Do you wash chicken before cooking it? - I have read conflicting reports as some think, washing it in the kitchen sink can lead to cross contamination. If you do, do you wash it again after cutting? I never wash chickens/chicken pieces - I used to but haven't had any problems since I stopped.
    2. I have seen videos on You Tube to cut a whole chicken so I will be trying that. I will roast a thigh and a drumstick each for us tomorrow for lunch(using Tandoori marinade. Will this be too much for us?). As you haven't eaten meat for a long time, I would start with either a drumstick OR a thigh - but cook all and you can eat them cold. I used to be a vegetarian and my first meat meal was a big steak - it really upset my digestion so start small and work up to larger portions.

How do I store the raw breast meat that I am not using tomorrow? You could cook it all and either eat cold or heat thru until piping hot throughout. If not, then either store it in a plastic tub or well wrapped in clingfilm in a bowl/on a plate to stop any leaking juices dripping in the fridge - or you can freeze them for another time.

3. I am not supposed to eat skin or wings because of the diet, what do I do with them. - Should I just bin them? - Sounds wasteful. Discard the skin or keep with the bones to make stock, same for the wings which are full of flavour. Make sure you skim the fat off when the stock has cooled.

4. I will be investing in a meat thermometer next week but how would I know if the chicken is cooked when I roast it tomorrow? You need to pierce the chicken at the thickest part - this is the thigh close to the body - I usually pierce it in a few places - the juices will run clear when it is cooked but will be pink if its not.

5. I am thinking of using the bones for stock for making soup later. Will bones of one chicken be enough? Yes it will be enough - obviously the more bones you have, the more flavour but just use less water or wrap the bones and put in freezer until you have more.

6. Where do you buy organic chicken from. I saw chicken breasts in Tesco last night but there were so expensive :eek: Unfortunately, organic chicken is expensive wherever it is from :D

Thanks
    MQ

Also, if you roast a whole chicken - make sure you allow 20 minutes for it to rest after cooking - it helps the juices run back into the meat and keeps it really tender.

Hope that helps :)
  • LondonDreamer
    Options
    I don't normally wash chicken, but would do a quick rinse under the tap and then pat dry with kitchen roll if necessary.

If you're not using the breast within the next two days or so, freeze it. Use either a storage container suitable for the freezer or a freezer bag. If you don't have either, wrap in cling film and/or foil really well.

I can't think of a use for chicken skin other than eating it. :o But you may want to leave it on for cooking as it will keep the meat moist, then just take it off for serving if you don't want the extra calories.

Jamie Oliver has a gravy recipe which uses chicken wings. If you want to do this, you may need to freeze them until you have enough though.

Chicken is cooked when you insert a knife into the thickest part and press on the cut. Juices will run out and they should be clear. If they're still slightly pink coloured, pop it back in for 5-10 minutes then try again. How long this will take will depend on what you're cooking and their size, but average chicken legs should take around 45 minutes in a 180 degree oven (from memory - I don't make these a lot so you may want to double check this).

One chicken will be enough for soup, but you can freeze the carcass if you'd rather make a larger batch in one go.

I don't buy organic chicken but most supermarkets should have them. Try the higher end ones (M&S or Waitrose) if your local doesn't. But they are very expensive compared to standard chicken. If you have a local butcher or farm shop, they may sell them cheaper.

Hope that helps :)
  • MoneyQueen
    MoneyQueen Posts: 927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 January 2012 at 9:29PM
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The chicken is all cut and is marinating in the fridge in the spicy yogurt marinade. I will roast it tomorrow. DH was horrified (actually I was too :o) when we cut the chicken especially when he looked at some of the areas where there was a bit of blood. So he threw away the carcass when I was not looking:mad:

I did wash it before and after cutting though as DH didn't seem very happy with the idea of not washing it when he looked at the chicken. I hope the washing hasn't done anything to the flavours.

I have left the skin on and will take it off after it's been cooked for me and he can have the skin as he doesn't need to diet.

Thanks a lot for all the advice

MQ
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    hello can I hijack this thread and ask about stock? I have used all of my chicken and had my bones veg etc in the slow cooker for at least 10 hours, cooled it down strained off the bones etc and put the stock back on the hob for a while. hope thats right so far, so I want to know now how to make this into chicken soup, not the watery kind, the kind you get in a tin, is it cream of chicken soup? I have no ideas on how to do this and dint want to throw it all away now. thanks
  • Cullumpster
    Options
    anyone help please?
  • Mrs_Chip
    Mrs_Chip Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    I made a lovely chicken soup with stock by adding veg and red lentils:

Gently fry and onion, chopped celery, chopped garlic, chopped medium potato. Add about 4oz redlentis and stir. Add stock and simmer until everything is soft. Blitz in a blender or with a hand blender. Add a bit of milk if it is too thick. Add in any cooked chicken you have left over, diced small. Season well.

Will not be exactly like chicken soup from a can, but is delicious.
    Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures
  • Cullumpster
    Options
    thanks will try that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts