DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 8

Options

Comments

• Twit_Head
    Twit_Head Posts: 706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    2spicy wrote: »
    Hey Twitty, Baby Spice will be 1 years old in just over 10 weeks time ... Wow, time does fly !!...
    Reasons for trying to get our Credit file looking a little healthier is that with our Jobs, its a pain having to disclose "everything", and a poor dredit rating usually means paperwork to explain that were not security risks, or vunerable to bribery etc .. (Its all gov. stuff!). Plus its a pain travelling with work and paying for hotels / accomodation having to ask for cash advances etc every time, when a Credit card to use solely for accomodation would be so much easier & less of a risk than carrying £400 around. The plan is to use a pre-pay CC, its safer, and the credit builder facility was a freebee bonus :)

Blimey - it doesn't just fly it got supersonic! :o
    And thanks for this. I see where you're coming from now. Yea, it must be an absolute pain when your DMP impacts on your work to this degree.
    Sounds like you've got it all under control, so let's hope your rating looks healthier than that of Greece soon! :D

'Twitty'
  • Jvic28
    Jvic28 Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Options

We work every day at getting NatWest, Lloyds TSB and M&S to stop, or at least reduce, the interest. From what we have read here, we are not optimistic, particularly about the first two, but it won't stop us trying :)

As others have said, different people do seem to have different responses from creditors. Natwest not only refuse to answer any letters I send them, they refuse to reduce/stop interest and don't send me statements. I think a complaint is due to the FOS from me and maybe they might listen to me then. How are you meant to take control of your debt if they don't even send you statements telling you how much you owe???

Grrr! But hang on in there. It's hard as hell being in debt and being on a dmp is no barrel of laughs but it's the best feeling in the world to be in control again. I'm not scared anymore, no matter what threats they throw at me because I know I'm doing what I can and I can't do anymore. So there!

Good Luck with you plan and remember this is always a great place to come if you got any questions or worries.

:D
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member No 190
    17/05/08 - Total on DMP: £10025.70
    07/05/14 - Total on DMP: £1666.20 DFD: July 2017!!
    Baby Tomos born 5th June 2009 - 6lb 5oz :j
    Weight Loss Target - to lose 60.8lb by NYE 2015 - 37.6lb TO GO
  • Jvic28
    Options
    Disduprop wrote: »
    I have a DMP which is coming up for it's first yearly review. Could anyone tell me how many wage slips I need for review? Also do I need statements from creditors? Not all of my creditors now send out monthly statements.
    Who is your DMP with. At my reviews I've never had to supply statements, we just go through income and expenditure that's all to ensure the monthly payments are set at the right level. I'm with CCCS and update by creditor balances online when I get statements from them (or in the case of Natwest, when I have to ring them to find out what the balance is)
    However, yesterday I received a letter from Blair, Oliver and Scott stating that Bank of Scotland had instructed them to commence court proceedings for a CC debt of £1500.
    As far as I know Blair, Oliver, Scott (BOS)are just the internal debt recovery department for Bank Of Scotland (BOS). I would say it's very rare for these sorts of cases to go to court. If your making payments on your plan as promised I don't think they'd have anything to gain by taking you to court, especially for a relatively small debt. Please do not worry about it. Just keep whoevers handling your DMP up to date with developments. They send out these sorts of letters in the hope that you'll be so scared you'll suddenly "find" the money somewhere to pay them.

Take care and remember to pop in if you've ever got anything to ask.

:)
  • Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

I have explained that we have small mortgage arrears and council tax arrears which are far more important, right? I have never, ever, had arrears before ever with our priority debts. I feel like giving up!:(

Life sucks sometimes doesn't it but chin up and remember they can't have what you don't have, carry on paying towards your priority debts if possible.

Take care
    Ellie xx
  • Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    In panic mode at the moment as it looks like the company that I work for is going into liquidation and we haven't been paid all of our salary (or expenses) for the month.:eek::eek::eek:

Luckily I have paid the mortgage, CCCS and all of our bills for the month out of the money that I have received but I need to find a job..... FAST!!:eek:

Huh!, thought things were going too well:o

Trying to keep a level head and be positive but as we edge nearer to May if I don't find a job then the mood may change:(

Take care all
    Ellie xx
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Twit_Head wrote: »
    Well in your darkest moments you can just console yourself with the thought him and the missus probably had a fabulous holiday in the Bahamas, and think very highly of you! :D

'Twitty'

That one really did make me laugh out loud :rotfl:
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Jvic28 wrote: »
    As others have said, different people do seem to have different responses from creditors. Natwest not only refuse to answer any letters I send them, they refuse to reduce/stop interest and don't send me statements. I think a complaint is due to the FOS from me and maybe they might listen to me then. How are you meant to take control of your debt if they don't even send you statements telling you how much you owe???

Grrr! But hang on in there. It's hard as hell being in debt and being on a dmp is no barrel of laughs but it's the best feeling in the world to be in control again. I'm not scared anymore, no matter what threats they throw at me because I know I'm doing what I can and I can't do anymore. So there!

Good Luck with you plan and remember this is always a great place to come if you got any questions or worries.

:D

Thanks very much Jvic28 :)

I know exactly where you are coming from with the regaining control and not being scared any more, it's a great feeling. My OH actually looks forward to opening letters from the banks now, and I'll let you into a little secret ... he makes very rude gestures when he walks or drives past NatWest or Lloyds TSB :rotfl:

We won't lose sleep whether they freeze the interest or not, we have already had far too many sleepless nights worrying about money, and hopefully those days are over. They do both still send us statements at the moment so we will keep a careful eye open that this continues.

We did want to ask one question if you or anyone else can help. We are likely to have an extra £1000 to 1500 in the summer from OH's exam marking. Are we allowed to pay this all off a debt that is still charging interest, e.g. it would make a huge impact on the NatWest OD? Or do we have to give it all to CCCS to share among all the debts?

Thanks again :T
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    yesterday I received a letter from Blair, Oliver and Scott stating that Bank of Scotland had instructed them to commence court proceedings for a CC debt of £1500. Needless to say I have no way of paying this, and as it's been getting paid pro-rata via DMP I thought that something like this couldn't happen. I feel that having been on emotional recovery from depression etc following initial set up of plan I'm now spiralling downwards and am sick with worry.

Don't worry, I have had letters from them too and I just informed CCCS who sent them my details and I never heard anything from them again. The thought of going to court is scary but it really isn't that bad. When you are on a DMP then you are already paying the maximum to your creditors you can afford so there really isn't any point in them taking you to court. The judge can't magic up any more cash from you.

I do feel though that the letter I received from BOS was intimidating and misleading. It has a headline of 'NOTICE OF INTENDED COURT ACTION' followed by 'Formal notice is hereby given that our client has instructed us to commence court proceedings......Papers are now being prepared........ ' and then they threaten a charging order against your property. They finish with 'YOU MUST MAKE PAYMENT NOW TO STOP ACTION BEING TAKEN'. Well, no - just tell them you are on a DMP to stop action being taken but of course they don't tell you that. This letter is designed to scare people. :mad:

Don't let this get you down, you've got through the first year and that is a fantastic achievement.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • Jvic28
    Options

We did want to ask one question if you or anyone else can help. We are likely to have an extra £1000 to 1500 in the summer from OH's exam marking. Are we allowed to pay this all off a debt that is still charging interest, e.g. it would make a huge impact on the NatWest OD? Or do we have to give it all to CCCS to share among all the debts?

TBH I'm not sure as I've not yet been lucky enough to be in that position. I suspect it would have to be shared out to all your creditors pro rata. Im sure someone will be along shortly who knows for sure.
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

CCCS will want to share it equally. I would pop it into savings to build up a little fund that you could use for F&F in the future if you can add to it - or have small debts it could clear, or keep as an emergency fund. On the scale of your debts its no going to make a great reduction being shared but it could help you to reduce the debt greatly in the future. How much is the NW overdraft?
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure