Options

Comments

• Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January 2012 at 8:45PM
    Options
    monicaj wrote: »
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm really sorry you don't understand .......................

Please refer to my original post. - If I didn't make it clear ....- I am not an ???? year old who wants a little pooch to stick in her designer handbag, I am a 47 year old responsible adult with a suuportive husband, 2 adult children and a seven year old daughter who works at home who can give a dog time, attention and a loving home. At this moment in time we are favouring a KCCS Crossed with a Minature Poodle - sorry if this offends you in any way.

I am looking for reassuance/guidance on making an infromed choice for us as a family - whilst I will take on any constuctive advice given, I would be interested to hear of your personal recommendations and guarantees of the perfect dog for our family - please PM me if you need any further information..............

Kind Regards
    Monica

There's really no need to be defensive, where on earth did you get the idea that I was accusing you of wanting a handbag dog?

My advice to you is to be completely aware that you have no idea what a first cross will be like in terms of appearance or temperament.

I would also warn you that lots of poodle crosses have coats that are very hard to manage unless they are regularly cut very short.

There's no such thing as a perfect dog by the way, don't expect one of those whatever breed it is.

(Edit, I think its a little cruel to make your 7 year old work from home ;))
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Check out littledog rescue.
  • hm71_2
    hm71_2 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have a cavalier king charles and a 'designer dog' a cavachon- he is a king charles? bichon mix- they are both fab!but in the litter was a tricolour 'cavachon' apparently these are very rare & so the seller was offered double money for it- supply & demand you see.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge £128/£270 balance £142
    £2 saving club £140
  • purple.sarah
    purple.sarah Posts: 2,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Adopt from a shelter, anyone breeding mongrels is doing it for the money so they will be overpriced. It's good you are aware they are not a breed but that means they do not have predicatable breed charecteristics so buying from a breeder is not any guarantee of quality.
  • soccermom
    Options
    Adopt from a shelter, anyone breeding mongrels is doing it for the money so they will be overpriced. It's good you are aware they are not a breed but that means they do not have predicatable breed charecteristics so buying from a breeder is not any guarantee of quality.

I went to a shelter to get a rescue dog, I was interested in getting a puppy from a large litter they had, while filling in the forms I was told there was plenty of availability as I was one of the first to register.

We got talking and I said my kids were grown and I had plenty of time to offer one of them as my kids were leaving home this year (Army, Uni and moving in with girlfriend)

Only for her to say "so you are looking for something to compensate for your children leaving home" :eek: I absolutely refuted this I have waited since I was 12 to get a dog i'm now 43 this isn't a spur of the minute decision.

I was told I would hear about 2/3 of Jan, they never bothered to get in touch so I rang them and they fobbed me off. Turns out i'm not what they are looking for. Seems I want to replace my children.

I have however now found a beautiful little mutt of accidental breeding who comes to live with us in 2 weeks.

It makes me wonder if the reason they have so many dogs in shelter because the workers there are being particularly difficult. I know someone else who was refused a dog because a previous relationship had broken down and it could happen again.
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    monicaj wrote: »
    Thank you - I also dislike the "fashionable" names, and I'm sorry if I offended you with my view that a cross breed is a "mongrel".

Kind Regards
    Monica

ah you didn't offend me, it's just the way i differentiate between the two (especially as my cross breed is curled up on my leg)
  • Croatoan
    Croatoan Posts: 261 Forumite
    Options
    soccermom wrote: »

It makes me wonder if the reason they have so many dogs in shelter because the workers there are being particularly difficult.

For all the wonderful work Rescue's do it's clear from the amount of posts on this subject that you're not alone and some Rescues are literally putting people off from saving a dog for no good reason.
  • soccermom
    Options
    Croatoan wrote: »
    For all the wonderful work Rescue's do it's clear from the amount of posts on this subject that you're not alone and some Rescues are literally putting people off from saving a dog for no good reason.

The sad thing is that dog in the shelter would have had a loving home, access to the beach, woods, country, camping holidays with lots of other dogs they would have had a blast.

We have a great garden, everything is in place for that dog to have had a great life. Hopefully he ends up with someone who offers him what we could have.

I had to go down the route of buying privately, or else I wouldn't be in the position we are now of bringing home a puppy this month.
  • winterwhite11
    Options
    (Edit, I think its a little cruel to make your 7 year old work from home ;))[/QUOTE]

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Jenny_Wren_3
    Options
    I also have a cavachon who we paid £450 for three years ago. She's a lovely dog and I think that its a really nice cross. Although I know that not all crosses are successful I am very happy with my dog. I do have to keep trimming her coat though as she turns into a mop otherwise! She needs lots of grooming to keep on top of the mats which form no matter how short I keep her coat. Finding a breeder who does health checks is the hardest bit. My advice, find adverts (Don't tell anyone but pets4homes usually have cavachons and cavapoo's for sale) and phone asking lots of questions about what health checks have been done and don't go to see any puppies unless you are happy with the answers otherwise you'll bring one home anyway!
    Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. Soreen Kierkegaard 1854.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure