Purple or Blue Debit card with Natwest Select A/C ?

Options

Comments

• jen245
    jen245 Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have the purple card, and whenever I make transaction my balance is always updated immediately, although I never use it on trains or planes, or at petrol pumps. I also have the blue card on my savings account, and have never had any problmes using that either. its all psychological!! LOL!
    Debt free and staying that way! :beer:
  • Hydromancer
    Options
    Um...I have a £750 overdraft with Natwest and was offered a chequebook (I refused...already have a couple for other accounts) but my card is still blue. I don't know how they work this stuff out but I can't really say it changes much.
  • coolesticeking
    Options
    As stclair has said, most places now authorise transactions in realtime regardless if it's an Offline / Online Card - The Purple card is for use in Trains, Plaines and the good old Pay @ Pumps.
    David :)
    £1 of debt is too much for me!
  • coolesticeking
    Options
    To be honest, there isn't many places now where there is not a link up to obtain an authorisation anymore (Apart from the obvious).

Speaking at this moment in time, yes the Purple card is still in existence but really apart from it's use on Planes, Traines & Pay @ Pumps (which I can see over time moving into Auths at the point of sale instead) it was only really used for the Cheque Guarantee Scheme.

It would not surprise me if at one point all cards will become 'Full Auth' regardless and blue in colour.
  • coolesticeking
    Options
    jen245 wrote: »
    I have the purple card, and whenever I make transaction my balance is always updated immediately, although I never use it on trains or planes, or at petrol pumps. I also have the blue card on my savings account, and have never had any problmes using that either. its all psychological!! LOL!

Most places do obtain authorisation regardless now of the card type which is why you would have found transactions still do appear even in realtime despite you having the offline debit card.

It's up to the Merchant at the end of the day on how they wish to process the transaction.

I'm sure quite a lot of people think 'Oh - I've not got enough money in my account but i've got the Purple Debit Card - I can sneak it through before it reaches my account!' Not many places you can get away with this anymore.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To be honest, there isn't many places now where there is not a link up to obtain an authorisation anymore (Apart from the obvious).

Speaking at this moment in time, yes the Purple card is still in existence but really apart from it's use on Planes, Traines & Pay @ Pumps (which I can see over time moving into Auths at the point of sale instead) it was only really used for the Cheque Guarantee Scheme.

It would not surprise me if at one point all cards will become 'Full Auth' regardless and blue in colour.

I think that is what is going to happen at some point that all cards will all become full auth.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • coolesticeking
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    I think that is what is going to happen at some point that all cards will all become full auth.

Yes, I think this is why maybe branch staff now say 'We only have one type of card.' as before you could fill out the form with a Solo Card for an upgrade.
  • just_about
    Options
    First off, unless you would use any of the benefits that would come with Advantage Gold then don't bother because it won't Upgrade you to a Purple Offline Debit Card at all. You retain the same card when you upgrade your account and even if you ordered another it would just be the same yet again.

It all goes on to start with your credit score at the time of the application and if it's high enough to meet the criteria for the purple card at the time.

To be honest, you can try the lending department as there is no harm is trying or asking at all, but what they will no doubt tell you is something along the lines of 'We will first need to see some activity on the account for around 6 months' before they would even consider the request - again, there is no miracle timescale to this it's if and when the computer says yes due to your account conduct with a) RBS Group B) Elsewhere.

The Number for the lending department is 0238 022 6443 and press option 2.

Let us know how you get on!

An Update. Called Natwest today on the number provided above and pressed option 2 and then option 3. Anyway was told it was wrong department and was put through to the "RIGHT DEPARTMENT". :rotfl:
    Spoke to a lady and asked if the debit card provided could be upgraded to the full offline visa debit card which is purple in colour so that the card can used more widely than the present online full auth debit card!!!

Anyway she was amazed hearing this and said "the colour of the card has nothing to do with where the cards are accepted or not". Since it is select account the card can be used anywhere !!

Then on cross questioning her if it can be used on planes, pay @pumps etc, she said it could be used sometimes and at other times it might not be accepted because of the machine being faulty at pay@pumps,planes etc!!

Hearing this I was shocked and she hung up !!!!!!

Wow asking for a simple upgrade of a debit card and no one either in branch nor in telephone banking in Natwest have a Clue what I am talking about !!!

Natwest that's truely "HELPFUL BANKING".:rotfl::rotfl:
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 January 2012 at 6:06PM
    Options
    Its a shame you do not speak to me I know how to order one :-)

Whats the importance to you anyway of having a purple debit card?

Where have you used your card where its been rejected?
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • just_about
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    Its a shame you do not speak to me I know how to order one :-)

Whats the importantance to you anyway of having a purple debit card?

Well the purple card is more like a 'full current account' and the blue card is more like its skimmed version like a 'Basic account'. So I would think it would be reason enough ;) ..

Also would like to to give it one final try. So Stclair can you please help me on how to go about it as I can see you work for Natwest ? Of course if that is not a inconvenience. Thanks in advance :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure