We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Thames Water have outdone themselves...

Options
I am currently on this payment plan with Thames Water. For people who dont know what it is, essentially they 'estimate' your bill for the entire year and you pay a fixed amount each week.

Well, they have just sent me the 'estimated' bill this year. My bill for 2011 was £309. Now my bill for this year is £449.80. I guess at least now we know who is paying for this useless thames tunnel that no one wants.

Comments

• bluewire
    bluewire Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    When you say that your bill was £309 for last year, is that what you paid or what you used?

If it is what you paid then do you know how much you actually used?

If it is what you used then what did you actually pay?

You may have been paid £75 less that you needed to last year.

You need to give a bit more info before people can agree or dis-agree with you.
  • pineappletree
    Options
    bluewire wrote: »
    When you say that your bill was £309 for last year, is that what you paid or what you used?

If it is what you paid then do you know how much you actually used?

If it is what you used then what did you actually pay?

You may have been paid £75 less that you needed to last year.

You need to give a bit more info before people can agree or dis-agree with you.

Nope, i explained in the first post. I am on a prepayment plan whereby thames water estimate my water bill for the year and whatever amount they estimate i have to pay, in weekly installments. So i paid £309 in 52 weekly payments. This year i have to pay them £449.80p in 52 weekly installments.

In 2010 the estimated bill for the year was £289.35p which i also paid in 52 weekly installments. Sorry if i never made the post clear enough.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Nope, i explained in the first post. I am on a prepayment plan whereby thames water estimate my water bill for the year and whatever amount they estimate i have to pay, in weekly installments. So i paid £309 in 52 weekly payments. This year i have to pay them £449.80p in 52 weekly installments.

In 2010 the estimated bill for the year was £289.35p which i also paid in 52 weekly installments. Sorry if i never made the post clear enough.

You are in fact stating that your prices are going to increase by 45.6% - attributable to the new Tideway tunnels - and that is not correct unless you are metered and your estimated consumption has been increased.

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/consumerissues/chargesbills/prs_inf_tms_charges2011-12.pdf

The above document explains exactly how much Thames are allowed to increase prices for a five year period.

For 2012/13 it is 4.6% plus inflation - so approx 9%.

That is by far the highest increase in the 5 year period. Last year(2011/12) it was 0.4% + inflation and in 2013/14 it is 0.4% and 2014/15 it is 1.4%

So they have either made a mistake, or you haven't explained the whole story.
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I am aware a payment plan is based on what they think you will use but it can increase based on actual meter readings as there is no guestamate payment plans on RV or assessed.
    It sounds like you used more water then the payment plan allowed and as such the pan has increased for next year.
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    ^^ this ^^
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing