New Storage Heaters or Oil Central Heating Help Please!!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels
7 replies 12.1K views
candgjcandgj Forumite
5 Posts
Can anyone help:confused: , we have recently moved to a 4 bed detached house with 10 old style storage heaters, have just taken a meter reading for our own interest and got a shock at the number of units used even though we are on Economy 7. Have been looking at options for new heating and hot water systems but keep getting mixed opinions.

Electrician’s say oil heating so what do they know about storage heaters that we don’t!!
However the Energy Saving Trust have said too just update the old heaters for new economical ones.

Has anyone heard about Kalirel electric heaters? And are they any good as alternative to storage heaters for this sized property.

Would like to take advantage of our south facing roof with solar hot water but the big question is new style storage heaters or oil central heating system as there is no gas in this area and not going to be in the foreseeable future as I have already checked. I am at the moment a stay at home mother of two children so at least I am here to take advantage of the heat storage heaters produce during the day but looking at the long term. I know that all the work and money involved to put a new system in will not be cheap but no sure which option to take.

Any advice anyone can give would be a great help.

Thanks

:undecided

Replies

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstly forget solar heating of hot water as it is just a joke in terms of money saving.

If you pick your Economy 7 supply company carefully it is undoubtedly cheaper than Oil(at current prices) for CH and HW.

The modern storage heaters are not really any more economical as all electrical heating is 100% efficient, however they are more user friendly.

The biggest problem you will find as a 'stay at home mum' is that you will very probably 'run out' of heat in the evening and have to 'top up' the heat in the house at very expensive daytime rates. The storage heaters simply do not have the capacity to warm the house from 7am to late evening.

I have heard of the Kalirel heaters but they are simply just another form of storage heater. As I said above all electrical heating is 100% efficient; the problem is that there is no system available that would provide enough warmth to heat a house for 17 hours a day.

If you intend staying in the house for a very long time some alternative CH system might be the best bet; otherwise spend more on running expenses and save on the costs of a new system.
  • paul_hpaul_h Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    As Cardew says, choose your economy7 supplier very carefully - look at the British Gas 'Click Energy' tariff in particular, if you're happy to do everything online.

Oil is still relatively expensive, and you have to think about the high installation cost over the system's expected lifespan, as Cardew also hints. Good modern storage heaters can be a very effective form of heating requiring little user intervention. The newer heaters are also physically far more effective at retaining the stored energy until it is required.

However, it is very important that the whole system is correctly sized and specified - undersizing is the single biggest failing of most installations. A correctly sized installation should be able to maintain a comfortable heat output until the late evening, even on cold days like this. The output vents on our heaters are still too hot to touch at 9PM, and they are not the most modern...

Storage heater output is thermostically controlled, and if heat is being sucked out of heated rooms by colder areas of the house, the heaters will simply discharge everything during the day, leaving nothing for the evening. Other heat loss, such as from poor insulation or open chimney/flue draughts, will also cause big problems.

If you have half as much heater capacity in a house than you need, most people expect it to be half as warm - it doesn't work like that. What actually would happen is that the heaters will attempt to maintain a reasonable temperature during the daytime by opening up their thermostatic dampers, with the result that they will probably be cold by teatime.

Hope this makes some sense! :)
  • Thanks Guys for your response,

Have also been told by a friend that we have 3 phase electric in this house, would that cause a problem?
    Also that the storage heaters are only on the economy 7 circuit apparently and no way of boosting at the moment so once they are cold that’s it until tomorrow.
  • paul_hpaul_h Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    paul_h wrote:
    As Cardew says, choose your economy7 supplier very carefully - look at the British Gas 'Click Energy' tariff in particular, if you're happy to do everything online.

Scratch that idea... also the Click Energy tariff was excellent for those with storage heaters, the new 'Click2' tariff announced today does not support two-rate (i.e. economy 7) metering.

I reckon BG have caught on.:mad:

I would get the 3-phase situation checked out - its unlikely that you have 3-phase in a domestic property, but not unheard of. If you already have an economy 7, or two rate meter, then there should be no problem.
  • rob2360rob2360 Forumite
    8 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Just a minor correction to someone's post - Kalirel radiators aren't storage heaters - they would run off the normal supply not Economy 7/10. The main benefit of them is that each radiator is individually controllable via an RF programmer so zones with different heating schedules can be set up. Plus they look just like "normal" radiators. Of course they don't have the benefit of "cheap rate" offpeak but then again you can be warm in the evening..

"I have heard of the Kalirel heaters but they are simply just another form of storage heater. As I said above all electrical heating is 100% efficient; the problem is that there is no system available that would provide enough warmth to heat a house for 17 hours a day."
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mea Culpa!

I had seen them mentioned in conjunction with storage heating and some of the websites mention Kalirel heating in the same sentence as storage heating; but you are quite correct.

Having looked at their website, I must say they have little to recommend them IMO.

As has been said many times all electrical heating is effectively 100% efficient. So these heaters don't produce any more heat than any other electrical heater. Their 'claim to fame' is that they have a sophisticated control system.

Anyone heating their home at full daytime rates(especially a 'stay at home Mum) has the most expensive heating method in UK.

With storage heating you can at least get cheap heating from Economy 7 and if it does run out of heat, you can top it up with daytime rates. With the Kalirel system you pay for everything at daytime rates(unless you have an E7 tariff and require heat from midnight to 7am)
  • moonrakerzmoonrakerz Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to be different !

Have a good look at an oil fired system, they are not as expensive to run as many people believe. I have had oil for 20 years, before I moved everyone was telling me that oil would cost me a fortune, the first year I was here it actually cost less than my previous house on gas. I have been quite happy with my heating costs since then.

An oil system will cost a bit more to install as you need the tank - and of course you are paying for your fuel in advance. Oil varies in price quite a bit, 10 minutes on the phone before you top up is well worth it.
    Also, the price of heating oil follows world prices, ie: it goes DOWN as well as up ! It took the gas companies 6 months to announce price cuts, in the future ! My oil price went down in September last year.

Go and get an unbiased opinion - don't listen to heresay.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides