Pros and cons of being a childminder...

Comments

• amandada
    amandada Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I did look into this option but my hubby's job can be quite unpredictable. He's away quite often overnight, sometimes few nights in a row so it really isn't an option.

I really want to thank everyone for your replies. You have given me absolutely fantastic advice.

Yeah I know it's not an option for everyone unfortunately. If you decide to go ahead at least you'll be doing it with your eyes wide open! Good luck!
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I think that you should go for it - if you are worried about lack of demand for your service, why not register with Social Services as they will have kids who need an emergency childminer for family support etc...
  • andycarmi
    andycarmi Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Check with your local counicl. Mine hold infomation evenings on becoming a CM and what grants you will recive...

HTH
  • mamamia
    mamamia Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post
    You need to attend a pre-registration briefing if you are thinking of becoming a CM. This is where you get all the information and forms needed to register. Contact your local Children Information Service on 0800 096 02 96 and they will be able to advise you. I attended one of these briefings recently and we were told that there would be no more start up grant for CM after april so act fast.
    Goodluck
  • Hi just wanted to add my bit as a childminder of almost 4 yrs I have teenage kids . I started again buying toys equipment ect but I love the job that I do and its great to feel such an important role in a childs life .
    Some parents are great and you can tell you'll also become friends other do treat you just as carers but thats ok its just differant peoples ways .
    To me its a job where your earnings are only limited by what you want to do ie; if you want to fill your 3 under 5 places and have before and after schoolers then you can earn well .
    I personally like the little ones and have one full time 9-5pm and one 3 days 8-4pm and earn £166-40 a week .then you have expences to take off ..
    This suites me at the moment but a part time pre schooler comes along then I'll take them on if they fit in with our "family "
    One bit of advice I'd give is if rung up for a space never say yes straight away .......tell them you'll check your vacancies and ring them back ,it gives you time to thing and you can generally tell froma phone call if you click with the family .I always tell prospective parents that they have to feel that they can come and talk to me if they have a problem or concern about their childs care and vice versa a good relationship with parents is a must .
    get your face known at toddler groups and school playgrounds .

Good luck pm if you want any advice there is a start up grant to help you get what you need childrens info service should be your first port of call .
  • webbie
    webbie Posts: 383 Forumite
    I have been a childminder for 4 years. The main thing to remember is that you are in control!
    Many parents act like you are doing them a favour. In reality - they usually need you more as loss of childcare equals loss of their job. Another child is usually available to fill their space!!

I have always been very fair - I give months and months of notice of holidays - I am flexible if they need to change hours - i am honest - if their child has been fantastic I will tell them - but if they have been a sod I will tell them too.

If the child has not been suitable ( I had one child who refused to listen to anything I said and regularly peed on the floor on purpose - then wound mummy round his little finger and mummy refused to believe he did this) - I gave them notice. It was my house - he damaged my possessions and I truly believed he was unhappy.

Some childminders "drag" the children everywhere - to Asda for the weekly shop, to watch their own children swim/play football, go to the bank etc. I organise daily activites, we have a regular routine and the children are happy as they know what they will be doing. I have one day a week off to study/clean/shop/go to the bank etc for my own sanity.

I think a lot of childminding goes on instinct. Experience has told me, that if on a visit to your house, a child is all over the place and not taking any notice of mum - they will do the same to you. If parents turn up late, start asking for "extras" or talking about occasionally being late - this is a sign of things to come.

The poster earlier who said they wanted to see the whole of the house - forget it!! These are parents who feel they are better than you - or you will be their employee and they are doing you a favour. They are nosy!! Would you go into a day nursery and ask to see the staff room and staff toilets?? If the upstairs is not for childminding - that is your private and personal space.

Think of the hours you want to work - AND STICK TO THEM - many minders say yes to everyone because they want the money immediately - but find they are working 12 hour days with no time to think!! Ensure you have some time off - even if you negotiate with parents - often parents will change their days at work to ensure they keep a good childminder who needs some free time.

And - good luck!!
    DFW No. 344
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!!:T
  • loveandlight
    loveandlight Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I was a registered childminder two years ago and lasted a year and then gave it up because overall it was just not worth it. A lot of parents do treat you like they are the boss of you, no matter how firm you are with them. They also play a lot of mind games, testing to see how flexible you'll be to fit in with their needs and expecting to give their needs priority when they know you have lots of other families to please as well. I've never regretted giving it up but I do miss the little ones.

Since being a childminder, I also now have tremendous respect for childminders and think the good ones are grossly underpaid given the high level of responsibility they carry and the good work they do. I may be using one myself soon for a couple of one off occaisions and have already decided to pay her an hourly rate twice what she charges as recognition of how important she is to me in looking after my son.
  • webbie
    webbie Posts: 383 Forumite
    loveandlight - wish there were more parents like you!!

It is true though - that once you are/or have been a childminder - you then appreciate how much work/time/effort/stamina/patience you need. There is no lunch hour, sit-down time!! No "guaranteed" wages or end time - even when the children leave, there is still clearing up, hoovering etc to do - that's all unpaid.

I have lost count of the amount of times people ask me if I watched GMTV that day - or when am I going "back to work" for a "proper job"! They think it's about drinking coffee whilst the kids play in the next room - yeah right!!

Saying all this - I do CHOOSE to be a childminder - I love the children - we laugh most of the day - we have fun - and the kids often don't want to go!
    DFW No. 344
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!!:T
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wrote a long reply, then realised it was an old thread resurrected for advertising purposes.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Alice92 wrote: »
    Hey People,
    I Am Looking For People Who Need A Childminder As i Have Just Left Year 11 At School And Been Doing Childcare Course For 2 Years, Will Be Carrying on In 6th Form, i Dont Mind Wht Age The Child Is But i Been Looking At Mostly 0-5 Years..i Would Love To Look After Children Would Give Me What ii Have Always Wanted. Soo Please Email Me On [EMAIL="x0x-snugglebum-x0x@hotmail.com"]x0x-snugglebum-x0x@hotmail.com[/EMAIL] and get bk to me about this ! =] xx Thanks xx Alice xx:j

A bit of advice for you. You cannot offer your services as a childminder inless you are registered with Ofsted. Un-registered, you can babysit in the childs home, or be a nanny, in which case the parents have to pay your tax and National insurance. You cann ot care for children in a domestic setting for more than 2 hours a day and receive payment for it.

You may also want to change your email address to something a little more erm, professional.

Sally
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport