What will happen to my mobile phone?

Options

Comments

• I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ineedaname wrote: »
    Blondee - Low value as opposed to the higher value of a premium or newly released phone. I don't actually know how they work out which phones to give free with a contract, but finances must surely come into it or they wouldn't make a profit!

Some sim only tariffs are around a tenner cheaper a month, so I guess you are paying the extra tenner (or more) towards the handset.

The network would want all the remaining months tariff charges on early termination so that must account for the handset. (where with a Landline you don't have to cough up the full amount)
  • Ineedaname
    Ineedaname Posts: 3,661 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Exactly, they cover their potential losses within the contract. Just checked my upgrade options and I could get an iPhone 4S 64GB White for free if I wanted to spend £61 pcm on a contract, or I could have a Blackberry Curve 9300 for £20.50 pcm.
    When I joined, I needed a name. The forum members gave one to me...I am INAN :D
    "Fortunes ebb and flow and a boat must move with the tide and be thankful that it floats." Judith Allnatt
  • dojoman
    dojoman Posts: 12,027 Forumite
    Options
    I have 3 phones on contract 2 HTC Desires and a Wildfire. I have had the 2 desires for 12 months and I cannot find any PAYG sims offering me what I have for the same price, and not including the phones.
    :pB&SC No. 298
    Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
    and WISE too late!
  • TinyToes
    TinyToes Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    i was declared BR 6 months ago, have 2 contracts in my name, hubby has one in his name, all with o2 and ive never had any problem.
  • watcher27
    watcher27 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    TinyToes wrote: »
    i was declared BR 6 months ago, have 2 contracts in my name, hubby has one in his name, all with o2 and ive never had any problem.

Hmmm Sounds promising!
    I get the impression if O2 are told you are bankrupt then they will immediately terminate your contract etc, But as the saying goes, What they don't know...;)
  • Mara69
    Mara69 Posts: 1,409 Forumite
    edited 2 January 2012 at 10:24PM
    Options
    watcher27 wrote: »
    Hmmm Sounds promising!
    I get the impression if O2 are told you are bankrupt then they will immediately terminate your contract etc, But as the saying goes, What they don't know...;)

Do you not think this attitude, and your obsession with a phone is part of your problem? I suspect you've not faced up to your financial problems. It's a PHONE. Buy a cheap PAYG; if you are declaring yourself bankrupt you can't afford a mobile phone contract.

ETA: I see that you also want to keep two cars. Are you really taking this bankruptcy seriously?
  • watcher27
    edited 2 January 2012 at 11:33PM
    Options
    Mara69 wrote: »
    Do you not think this attitude, and your obsession with a phone is part of your problem? I suspect you've not faced up to your financial problems. It's a PHONE. Buy a cheap PAYG; if you are declaring yourself bankrupt you can't afford a mobile phone contract.

ETA: I see that you also want to keep two cars. Are you really taking this bankruptcy seriously?

I beg your pardon? Of course i'm taking it seriously! :mad:

Judging by your comment, i'm guessing you haven't bothered about reading the whole thread? My initial enquiry was what would happen to my phone, And when it was suggested i would loose it, i didn't moan or fuss, i simply enquired as to the best way of going forward, i.e. me selling it to pay off the contract & giving the cash to the OR Or just letting O2 deal with it!!!

Please read the whole thread before making comments.

And why does me NEEDING two cars mean I'm not taking bankruptcy seriously either?
    Again, if you had bothered reading that whole thread, you would see that two cars is essential for myself & wife to keeping our jobs and not born out of some desire to not use public transport or just because we want them. :mad:

And on your last point, NO, its not the phone thats made us bankrupt, its because my mortgage has gone up from £425 to £1060 a month in the space of a year and along with my wife having to change jobs with a lower salary when my son was born and myself being made redundant twice.

Happy?

I've found this forum and it's member's beyond helpful during this time with countless people offering up their knowledge & experience to help others, And then people like you come along... :mad:
  • Ineedaname
    Ineedaname Posts: 3,661 Forumite
    Options
    Mara69 wrote: »
    if you are declaring yourself bankrupt you can't afford a mobile phone contract.

Nowhere near as cut and dried as that.
    When I joined, I needed a name. The forum members gave one to me...I am INAN :D
    "Fortunes ebb and flow and a boat must move with the tide and be thankful that it floats." Judith Allnatt
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And on your last point, NO, its not the phone thats made us bankrupt, its because my mortgage has gone up from £425 to £1060 a month in the space of a year and along with my wife having to change jobs with a lower salary when my son was born and myself being made redundant twice.
    It's an iPhone 4S 64GB that i got on launch day (october) on a 12 month contract. I know what your thinking... But when a new gadget comes out, i get sucked in and HAVE to have it and somehow manage to justify the purchase to myself. And it's financial reasoning like that that has probably contributed to us getting into this mess..... I'm not in arrears with O2 and am paying my contract as normal
    Given your comments about your need to purchase the latest gadgets, your rationale in doing so, your acceptance of those consequences and your apparent priorities paying bills, it's not difficult to understand the posters viewpoint. :)
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • watcher27
    Options
    Tojo_Ralph wrote: »
    Given your comments about your need to purchase the latest gadgets, your rationale in doing so, your acceptance of those consequences and your apparent priorities paying bills, it's not difficult to understand the posters viewpoint. :)

Ok, it's not quite like that regarding the gadgets. I said that to keep the hounds at bay as to why i got a new phone.
    I am a "gadget !!!!!", i read the sites about the latest tech etc and drool over them, but unfortunatly i can't buy them. My TV is 6 years old, i dont have a flash surround system and shock horror, i dont even have an iPad ;)
    As i said, my last iPhone was the original 3G, i didnt upgrade to the 3GS or even iPhone 4.
    The upgrade to the 4S was because my 3G had slowed to become almost unusable and is no longer supported by Apple in regard to the new iCloud service for which i receive my emails.

And what do you mean about my "apparent priorities paying bills"?
    I have always paid all my bills and have NEVER been in arrears with anyone! :(

Anyway, this thread has now digressed...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure