Looking for flights and hotel for Sydney, Australia December 2012

Options
We are looking at going to Sydney, Australia leaving any where between 22 and 29 December 2012, and going for around 2 weeks.

I cant seem to find flights, has anyone got any idea when they will be issued.

Also any help on hotels etc would be great, looking at a hotel on the Sydney Harbour. Unless anyone can recommend some where better??

Also looking at recommendation of what to see or do, while there.

Any help on this would be great!

Thank you,

Jodi xx :D

Comments

• hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    it is normally about 355 days..so wait ten days and you will be able to price them on ba.com etc.

hotels - what do you like 3 star 4 star 5 star? Budget? Are you staying there the whole time?
  • claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was there for NYE last year and we only started looking for hotels around September time and it was a total nightmare.

So I would definitely advise looking as soon as youve booked your flights.

You dont need to stay at a hotel right on the harbour, youd come out to see the fireworks I assume anyway - and unless you paid megabucks for a room facing the harbor, you wouldnt be able to see them out the room anyway.

I wouldnt particularly advise to stay where we did as we were backpacking and couldnt even afford a hostel as they had crazy rates in NYE and some wanted a minimum of a 14 night booking, so ended up this this slightly strange hotel, it was ok for a few nights thoughl. It totally depends on your budget. Have you looked on tripadvisor?

Id start with looking at the prices of places first.

Also Id advise not to go to Sydney for 2 entire weeks! A week would be fine. Then go somewhere else.
  • Jodi
    Jodi Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    We'd probably be looking at a 4 or 5 star hotel.

We were looking at staying in Sydney for the full 14 nights, but if we decide not to do this, where else could we go and then we could maybe split the holiday and go somewhere else too?? Ideas welcome.

We'll start to have a look at hotels, just now.

Thanks so much for the help so far. xx
  • bell123321
    bell123321 Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    Depending on what you want to see and do but you could fly to Brisbane/gold coast or Melbourne. All are a short flight away and often you can get cheap flights with jet star or virgin blue.
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    If you have not been before I would probably opt for uluru or cairns for the great barrier reef, 3-4 days in each would be fine. You can often do internal flights at no real increase in cost. try trailfinders. Also if you book hotels with whoever you book the flight with e.g. BA then you may access cheaper wholesale hotel rates compared to independents .

I lived in Aus for a couple of years, miss it so much, I also want to plan another visit as my sister lives there now, althuogh I think I am 2 years away from achieving it as I want to spend some time in NZ too - need a lot of holidays to do that.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    Options
    Looking for flights and hotel for Sydney, Australia December 2012

Tell him to book his own, Sid's getting so lazy
  • brandytoots
    Options
    as someone else said i wouldnt stay a full 2 weeks ., you could fly in to brisbane then drive down to sydney 4 days or try driveing melbourne to adelaide 3 days use virgin blue planes -- but try holiday inn- darling harbour- if travelling with a family ., near chinatown and monorail lovelly walk to opera house you must try a chinnese massage on the way harbour side !!! if you want to spoil your self try shangri la hotel excellent views but expensive - have a look at trip advisor site for trip ideas - but back to sydney trip ideas must go on harbour speed boat next to opera house - just go on manly ferry cruise across to lunar park go on a motorbike trip accross harbour bridge excellent ! as for flights we could not book until 6th february .,its cheaper if you go on boxing day or it was ? what ever you do send a post card
  • Jodi
    Options
    bell123321 wrote: »
    Depending on what you want to see and do but you could fly to Brisbane/gold coast or Melbourne. All are a short flight away and often you can get cheap flights with jet star or virgin blue.

Quite finacy the sound of catching a flight some where else while we're there. Thanks for the help! xx
  • Jodi
    Options
    hcb42 wrote: »
    If you have not been before I would probably opt for uluru or cairns for the great barrier reef, 3-4 days in each would be fine. You can often do internal flights at no real increase in cost. try trailfinders. Also if you book hotels with whoever you book the flight with e.g. BA then you may access cheaper wholesale hotel rates compared to independents .

I lived in Aus for a couple of years, miss it so much, I also want to plan another visit as my sister lives there now, althuogh I think I am 2 years away from achieving it as I want to spend some time in NZ too - need a lot of holidays to do that.

We've never been out there, so yes this will be our first time, all advice would be great! The Great Barrier Reef would be a great thing to go see.

Thanks xx

I hope you get out to visit your sister soon, 2yrs will fly in.
  • Jodi
    Options
    as someone else said i wouldnt stay a full 2 weeks ., you could fly in to brisbane then drive down to sydney 4 days or try driveing melbourne to adelaide 3 days use virgin blue planes -- but try holiday inn- darling harbour- if travelling with a family ., near chinatown and monorail lovelly walk to opera house you must try a chinnese massage on the way harbour side !!! if you want to spoil your self try shangri la hotel excellent views but expensive - have a look at trip advisor site for trip ideas - but back to sydney trip ideas must go on harbour speed boat next to opera house - just go on manly ferry cruise across to lunar park go on a motorbike trip accross harbour bridge excellent ! as for flights we could not book until 6th february .,its cheaper if you go on boxing day or it was ? what ever you do send a post card

I think we will def go to Sydney then fly out to some where else. Quite like the idea of Melbourne. Thanks for the ideas of what to do while out there, we'll try to book our flights as soon as possible. We're now starting to look at hotels, costs etc.

Thanks xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport