water softner help in chosing and is this true

Options

Comments

• Wise_old_owl
    Options
    Thanks very much @Doc N. That's put my mind at rest. I'll go ahead and order the AD11.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks very much @Doc N. That's put my mind at rest. I'll go ahead and order the AD11.

I'll be very surprised if you're not delighted with it - I only wish I'd been aware of Tapworks before I bought the last very highly priced Ecowater.

One small point - buying online will probably be your cheapest option. There are several places selling them at less than £450 delivered. :)
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got a tapworks AD11 , simple to fill up and forget

Would also recommend
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • minigirl12
    minigirl12 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    About to move to our new home (3 weeks and counting ��) it is in a very hard water area in SW. So fitting a water softener appears to be the way to go - looking at the Tapworks AD11 or a Monarch one.

I have a few questions that I would love answered by people other than sale persons. I spoke to 3 companies and had quotes between £1000-1700 to in stall!! But I really want to know if our house and situation are suitable.

1. Can you have a unit with an immersion heater for taps and electric shower?

2. Will it impact on our heating system - backboiler supplying heat to 5 radiators?

3. We are to have a water meter apparently as this is a new regulation for new account holders. What is the cost implications? I did read on one site that the cost of water was about 60p per regeneration clean (hope I got that term right...)

Very grateful for any help or points in the right direction for further reading.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    £1000-£1700 to install? Crazy money, even it it includes the softener.

I know the AD11 - around £450 to buy, and perhaps £100-£200 to install?

1. Can you have a unit with an immersion heater for taps and electric shower? - Yes, no reason why not. We have.

2. Will it impact on our heating system - backboiler supplying heat to 5 radiators? - Don't see why it should, but best check that with the boiler manufacturer. Some claim softened water causes corrosion problems.

3. We are to have a water meter apparently as this is a new regulation for new account holders. What is the cost implications? I did read on one site that the cost of water was about 60p per regeneration clean (hope I got that term right...)

- I doubt it would be as much as 60p but I have no figures for the AD11. It's not a factor I've ever worried about.
  • minigirl12
    Options
    Thank you Doc N really set my mind at rest. We have someone booked to service the parkray so will ask them and maybe check with hunter parkray.

Need to phone the water company can't find anywhere information that Wessex is water stressed. Tel operator was bordering on rude with her insistence that we had no choice and now after a glass of wine I can see no where on their website that it is compulsory or anything else on the net...will be sorting that out.
  • malc_b
    malc_b Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You're right that water costs are often overlooked. For the machines I've looked at water is about 20%-30% of the total cost (i.e. salt is 70-80%) or about 23p/regen. It's better to go for a larger machine (single tank rather than 2) because each regen uses water and smaller machines regen more often. Why not ask tapworks how much water is used each regen and work it out?

I'd also ask them for the regen water vs water pressure figures. Often the regen flush water is just timed, even on metered machines. The time is is based on a minimum pressure spec which most people will be above and so use more than the figures says. It could be worthwhile having a pressure reducer fitted to lower the regen water usage.

I'm on wessex water too and my figures from last year (not checked if it has gone up) are £3.79 per 1000 l so 0.379p per litre. Note that includes the water and sewage cost since you pay both based on water usage unless you are on a septic tank.
  • minigirl12
    Options
    Luckily no septic tank. I guess we are going to have to have one, just didn't like someone speaking to me as though I was an idiot but when I asked where was the legislation not being able to tell me.

It doesn't sound as if we are going to be high users, we have a water butt in the garden and an electric shower etc.

Deffo looking to get online :)
  • Aphid
    Aphid Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am on the verge of buying a water softener, actually a BWT WS355. Although I understand that the plumbing part is quite straightforward (for a plumber, anyway) I am aware that this and similar models require a 12V power supply. Having one fitted by an electrician sounds like it could be expensive(???), given the nature of kitchen units making access to electrics very awkward. Under my sink there are no power sockets - understandably - although there are power sockets on the walls above the base units, and a socket a few base units along, powering the dish washer. Has anyone come up with an ingenious way of running a power supply without the need for an electrician?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    perhaps not acquiring one with needing an electric supply, there are plenty on the market. I use a Monarch Plumbsoft Solo Ultra myself
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure