neighbours drain blocked again, whats my next move

my neighbours drain has blocked up again for the second time in just over a week and does nothing to sort it out. theres obviously a problem with the drain but refuses to even acknowledge theres a problem. it takes about a week for it to block my side, dh has been with his rods and roded it all out and got everything running again last week. but today it all blocked again. do i ring the water company and get them to have a look. oh and my neighbours a neighbour from hell and might not let us on to his property to clear them for a second time. whats my next move to get it sorted once and for all.

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Your drain feeds in to a chamber on his land?

If you live in England Or Wales you are responsible for your own private external drain up to the point where it crosses the boundary between the two properties. If it then feeds into a chamber on his land (or even if it doesn't) then as it crosses the boundary it becomes a lateral drain and from 1st October this year responsibility for that is vested in the water company.

So your answer is not to bother your NFH for one second but to call out the water company and let them sort it out.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • toejumper
    toejumper Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    that what i thought to ring the water comany, but if there is a fee to be paid for repair or anything he will refuse to pay. as i have no blockage on my side who pays.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    The water company has responsibility for lateral drains so its at their cost if the blockage is in the lateral drain. If the blockage is in the NFHs private drain then its his responsbility and he will get a bill.

Its only if the blockage is in your private drain that you need to worry about getting a bill. Whatever you do don't call D.....d. They don't care whose responsbility it is and will bill anyone they can - usually the person that calls them

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • toejumper
    edited 31 December 2011 at 4:26PM
    thanks but whos D.....d
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    D*n* R*d

Does that help? Think Day-Glo Orange Vans....
  • toejumper wrote: »
    thanks but whos D.....d
    Probably not allowed to name companies, but if if you google "drain clearing" - the first entry after the adverts starts with a "D" and ends with a "d". The website name is a shortened version of the name. The reason I give a pointer to their name is I'm going to defend them.

As for them not caring about whose responsibility it is - quite right. They are a business not a charity. Their responsibility is to get paid for any work they do. They will no doubt have determined where the likely blockage occurs over the phone and whether it is the Water Company that needs to deal with it. If it is in the neighbour's property then if the OP wants the drain clear they will have to pay and then claim the money back from the neighbour. They (D.........d - or any other drain clearing company) aren't responsible for disputes between neighbours.
    AT 1st SEPTEMBER 2009
    CASH......£ 321.41...
    BANK.....£ 625.75
    C-CARD...£ 5101.85...ISA......£ 120.00
    Loan from parents for car ~~ £ 5500.00

AT 31st OCTOBER 2009
    CASH......£
    . 50.23...BANK.....£ 723.12
    C-CARD...£ 3818.67...ISA......£. 80.00
    Loan from parents for car ~~ £ 5380.00
  • keystone wrote: »
    Your drain feeds in to a chamber on his land?

If you live in England Or Wales you are responsible for your own private external drain up to the point where it crosses the boundary between the two properties. If it then feeds into a chamber on his land (or even if it doesn't) then as it crosses the boundary it becomes a lateral drain and from 1st October this year responsibility for that is vested in the water company.

So your answer is not to bother your NFH for one second but to call out the water company and let them sort it out.

Cheers

Thank you, this is something I will remember as we have experienced this in the past before the water board were responsible.
    :D NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MAKES YOU SMILE:D
  • toejumper
    googler wrote: »
    D*n* R*d

Does that help? Think Day-Glo Orange Vans....
    right got ya now wouldnt of rung them, they would of charged me for just ringing. seven trent are coming out tomorrow to check the drains on the street. and dh has cleared all the drains once again.
  • Check with your Water Authority . There has been new Government legislation enacted recently (OCT 2011) and what were private sewers have now become the maintainance responsibility of the Water Authority . Worth asking them to advise. !

http://privatesewertransfer-px.rtrk.co.uk/?gclid=CPzQ-5nkw6cCFQRP4QodBUSmDg
    You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)
  • ROY47
    ROY47 Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    What drain are you talking about ??

sewer drain or rain water type of drain ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure