I need my car scraping

rus4u
rus4u Posts: 79 Forumite
Hi all,
my old car doesn't start up anymore so I would like to scrap it, is there any companies which can collect the car from your driveway and pay you some money for the car as well? :T

Comments

• Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Google is your friend on this occasion, however as I have (for the past year) worked in the recycling industry I can confirm that the car is worth more as parts than as a whole... If you have an ebay account (or a friend has) then get them to list it. If it has tax and MOT people will buy it as a whole or, if you are handy with a apanner, take it apart and sell the panels/doors/dash etc (be careful of airbags etc).

And as a silly question, have you discovered what is stopping the car from starting?
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • nonnatus
    nonnatus Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    Loads of them! Get hold of a copy of your local newspaper and look at the ads at the end of the motoring section, you should have quite a choice.

Couple of years ago I rang a nice chap who said he'd pay £75 to tow my (insurance write off) Golf for scrap. I agreed, he was on my drive 20 minutes later and I had one less bashed up car outside my house, 75 extra squids in my purse :D.

I'm sure there was probably a more MSE way of doing it but I was chuffed!
  • WhiteHorse
    WhiteHorse Posts: 2,492 Forumite
    Yes, check the small ads. I've had no end of metal junk taken away for free. (I drew the line at an aluminium conservatory though. I weighed that in myself).
    "Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
    seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"
    Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.
  • jcb208
    jcb208 Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Average price paid for scrap car collection now is between £100 to £150 depending on size so well worth getting a few online quotes
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Oh and I presume you mean scrapping, if you want it scraping just park it badly!!

As for money people here say 100-150 well if you can eBay it it's worth more (unless it's a real nail...)!
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    http://www.cartakeback.com/

never used them though, and can't vouch for them.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I usually use a kettle with fairly hot, not boiling water. Saves a lot of effort with the scraper.;)
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • A lot of places won't pay you if they have to collect it. If you know someone with a trailer then give them a tenner to take it to a scrap metal merchant or something, you'll probably get £100 for the car
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2011 at 11:39AM
    Use a scewdriver to scrape your car with.

On the otherhand if you want it gone, look in yellow pages for "Car vehicle dismantlers" phone round a few and get the best price. Yes, they will pay you some money. You should give them the V5 but you should ask them to sign section 9 tear it off and return section 9 to DVLA yourself. Some of them will tell you there is no need as it is all done on computer these days, whilst this is true and probably nothing will go wrong. If you do not retain section 9, you are putting your risk of a fine from DVLA in their hands. Whereas if you stick to your guns and retain section 9 you guarantee for yourself that nothing will go wrong.
  • Road_Hog
    Road_Hog Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    rus4u wrote: »
    Hi all,
    my old car doesn't start up anymore so I would like to scrap it, is there any companies which can collect the car from your driveway and pay you some money for the car as well? :T

Your local breakers should collect it for you and pay you about £100.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure