A question for a VIRGIN ATLANTIC employee???

Options

Comments

• Teahfc
    Teahfc Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would suggest your relative also visits the Virgin flyclub and signs up.
    I always when flying to USA fly Virgin, My company use them for Air freight also and we bag a upgrade to the next levelEconomy - Premium or Premium to Upper class IF we buy a high price ticket for that seat. I think this tends to work aswell on upgrades in general. But like that has been mentioned, arrive early, be smartly dressed ideally traveling alone and always a smile does carry some weight to it. A little is the flight full today follwed by if not are there any upgrades available in a pleasent manner never hurts.
    They can only say No !

The best way to ensure you do get on Upper class IMO is to buy a Upper class ticket !
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
  • ShockingPink
    ShockingPink Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your comments on my hopeless situation everyone (thanks button not working).

I am extremely smart, glamorous and persuasive, so would have no difficulty getting an upgrade if I were alone. Sadly, the same can not be said for my mother or sisters....
    C'est le ton qui fait la chanson
  • Sam_Bee
    Sam_Bee Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone else think we should have a sticky for people wishing for free flight upgrades? Comes up so often?
  • chalky_bertie
    Options
    Sam_Bee wrote:
    Does anyone else think we should have a sticky for people wishing for free flight upgrades? Comes up so often?

YES! The only guaranteed way to get an upgrade is to PAY FOR IT! If you are that bothered about it then just do it. I Used to ask about it but never got one so now I just don't bother asking - i usually travel in premium economy.

If you do then you do and if you dont then you don't - simple really. Go to the airport expecting / demanding one then I think you will be very disappointed.

This really annoys me when people ask questions like this, just like the people that waltz onto the plane with hand baggage the size of a suitcase! Who do they think they are?

Moan over - no offence to anyone.
    **BERTIE**

Did you Know: It costs more than £325,000 a day to run the lifeboat service? (with no government funding) Please donate to the RNLI
  • UnitedFlyer
    Options
    No need for it.

Go over to flyertalk.com/forums and ask there what the chances are of a free upgrade if a) you are not signed up to the frequent flier program and/or b) if you have no elite status with them.

Chances will be virtually nothing!

First class seats are sold at a premium to enaable the company to pay for the majority of the costs involved in the actual flight (i.e, fuel, staff, taxes, VAT, meals etc).
    Airlines "protect" these seats as much as possible to fare paying passengers or people who fly that airline A LOT!!! (When I say 'a lot' I mean flying around 100,000+ miles per year).

Depending on where your going, consider using MaxJet, Silverjet or Eos.
    They are all business class planes and the prices are very reasonable compared to the big players like BA, KLM etc.
  • ShockingPink
    ShockingPink Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    YES! The only guaranteed way to get an upgrade is to PAY FOR IT! If you are that bothered about it then just do it. I Used to ask about it but never got one so now I just don't bother asking - i usually travel in premium economy.

If you do then you do and if you dont then you don't - simple really. Go to the airport expecting / dfemanding on then I think you will be very disappointed.

This really annoys me when people ask questions like this, just like the people that waltz onto the plane with hand baggage the size of a suitcase! Who do they think they are?

Moan over - no offence to anyone.

Oo-er! (blushing smiley also not working) Sorry! It's never actually occurred to me to ask about it until today; I just saw this thread and thought, "You never know..."

I'm not a frequent flyer with any airline, so I'll know not to hope for something for nothing in future!
    C'est le ton qui fait la chanson
  • peterg1965
    peterg1965 Posts: 2,159 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dont ask for an upgrade, your chance will be virtually nil if you do. Join the Airline Frequent Flyer programme, that always helps. by the way Virgin first class is actually Upper Class, it is very good and on a par with BA club World.

My best (and worse) experience, flying from London to Sydney; booked business class with Emirates (that is very good in itself), on the way back on the Sydney - Singapore, Singapore - Dubai sectors I was upgraded to First, absolutely awesome experience. On the Dubai - Gatwick sector I was actually downgraded to economy because the flight was late in and the connection had gone, so had to switch to an alternate (full) flight. That was a comedown!! But I got $400 vouchers, a large hamper and two free Emirates upgrades!
  • robb2002
    robb2002 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    Oh, well that is good to know. So she at least has a chance of getting something out of it. I'll just tell her not to get her hopes up. It seems mad to me though because the company could be losing thousands of pounds in money.
    Thanks
    IF I HAVE BEEN OF USE TO YOU, THEN PLEASE CLICK THAT THANKS BUTTON :)
  • pennylane99
    pennylane99 Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    robb2002 wrote:
    Oh, well that is good to know. So she at least has a chance of getting something out of it. I'll just tell her not to get her hopes up. It seems mad to me though because the company could be losing thousands of pounds in money.
    Thanks

if there are spare seats in a higher class...by moving someone up into it, the airline stands a better chance of recouping some money by offering another economy seat for sale...rather than an having an unsold first class one.

There would be more people looking to get a last minute economy seat than a higher class.
  • fusela
    fusela Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there,
    My younger sister works at virgin atlantic as cabin crew. I think I can clear up the issue. Virgin has a program called mates rates where the employee can get a number of discounted flights per year. There is also a program called "mates plus" where the employee can name 6 people including family members and one companion. "Mates plus" tickets are more discounted than mates rates. The employee can put a "request for upgrades" on each ticket at no extra charge. I have had numerous flights with virgin approx 6 a year since my sister got the job and have only sat in economy once. When I did sit in economy they gave me an entire row so I could lie down and sleep. These rules only apply to confirmed tickets and depend on the loads of the aircraft. If they can't upgrade you, they can normally sort out an emergency exit seat.

However, if you have a standby ticket (very cheap) through staff travel. You may not be able to travel as they can bump you off. I have done a number of these flights on crew jump seats which are not comfy for 10+ hours! This has never happened to me but I make sure there are enough spare seats by checking loads a few days before...

Virgin normally looks after it's employees family/friends before frequent flyers.

Hope this clears up this issue.
    Fusela
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family