Buying expensive equipment abroad. What's the best exchange rate?

Options
Hi,

I'm buying some expensive audio equipment from a shop in Europe. I typically pay by bank transfer from my Nationwide flex account. I've been reading the article on the main site about buying abroad and I was wondering if this was still the best way to transfer the money? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• poohwinnie5
    Options
    Hi,

I'm buying some expensive audio equipment from a shop in Europe. I typically pay by bank transfer from my Nationwide flex account. I've been reading the article on the main site about buying abroad and I was wondering if this was still the best way to transfer the money? Thanks in advance.

I've been with the Nationwide for about 10 years.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Have you got the new Nationwide Select card? (no fees for foreign transactions). That will almost certainly be much cheaper than a bank transfer, assuming your credit limit is up to it.

If not you might even find that paying by debit card is cheaper (it's 2% with Nationwide, but this is on top of the VISA rate which is pretty much interbank, so could be cheaper than a bank transfer).
  • poohwinnie5
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Have you got the new Nationwide Select card? (no fees for foreign transactions). That will almost certainly be much cheaper than a bank transfer, assuming your credit limit is up to it.

If not you might even find that paying by debit card is cheaper (it's 2% with Nationwide, but this is on top of the VISA rate which is pretty much interbank, so could be cheaper than a bank transfer).

Hi,

Do you think it's worth me transferring the money to one of the debit cards described in the MSE article? 2% could be almost 90 Euro's with this transaction.Thanks
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Hi,

Do you think it's worth me transferring the money to one of the debit cards described in the MSE article? 2% could be almost 90 Euro's with this transaction.Thanks

Could be - but watch out for the conditions eg some require a min deposit per month, and MetroBank only have branches in London.
  • poohwinnie5
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Could be - but watch out for the conditions eg some require a min deposit per month, and MetroBank only have branches in London.

I was thinking of sticking the money on a "Fair Fx" card and paying by bank transfer will I be any better off than transferring from Nationwide. The shop would prefer payment with a bank transfer. Thanks
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you happy shop is legit as this is a completely unsafe way of making payment.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure